PMBD PMBD
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 04, 02:22:18

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
138712 Posts in 1637 Topics by 5282 Members
Latest Member: AlexanderPistoletov
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  PMBD
|-+  The Pirate Ship
| |-+  ARR!
| | |-+  Insim under new management!
0 Members and 4 Chinese Bots are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 97 98 [99] 100 101 ... 237 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Insim under new management!  (Read 912076 times)
Anouk
ARR!

Inactive

View Profile
Re: Insim under new management!
« Reply #1470 on: 2008 December 01, 03:40:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You should realize you will have no integrity left in the eyes of fence sitters and paysitelovers, and you will be handing paysite supporters exactly what they've waited for: a real reason to show how pirates are no better. Not to mention you take away a choice for free creators who are still on there.

Inactive
SoggyFox
ARR!

Reyn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1471 on: 2008 December 01, 03:40:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think its more its a side effect - Thoma$$ would just burn a site to destroy it to force the creators to come to him.  I could be wrong, but I don't see Pes doing something like that except as a last resort.  I'm inclined to trust him - he might be a curmudgeonly old crouch but he's both competent and does good stuff for the sims community.

I don't want it burned, but I don't want Insim just completely gone even more, you know?

"Try diplomacy, you can always invade them later." Pescado
www.thestormradio.com
Anouk
ARR!

Inactive

View Profile
« Reply #1472 on: 2008 December 01, 03:43:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The goal is good, but the method is wrong. If you can;t find another way, at least you can say you didn't resort to damaging someone's property, even though it's temporarily.
Say, wasn't my site only DDossed temporarily? And this site? Gee.

Inactive
Titan
ARR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1473 on: 2008 December 01, 03:43:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Cloning the site is one thing but, to take down a site/burn it, I can't agree that that is the right thing to do.  When the new site is set up, Insim will basically be deserted not long after that.  Majority of the Insims will more than likely either go to the new one, or go to another site.  There are a few members; over at Reflexsims Forum, who have admitted that they are from Insim originally but, they are considering making Reflex their new home.  
Burning the site; puts us right at the same level as Thomas, and that right there tells me that it's the wrong decision to do.  

Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #1474 on: 2008 December 01, 03:44:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You should realize you will have no integrity left in the eyes of fence sitters and paysitelovers, and you will be handing paysite supporters exactly what they've waited for: a real reason to show how pirates are no better. Not to mention you take away a choice for free creators who are still on there.
This. I'm patently against burning, or mass-deleting items off the site. If individual creators want to delete their threads, fine. Iin no way do I have the right to go out and zorch your stuff from the home you've given it just because I don't like what that guy over there is doing.

If things are lost whilst going the slow, but respectful, way, then so be it.

Stuff at MTS2, in my 4shared folder, and MATY/Peasantry

LiveJournal w/ story crap
fway
ARR!

ESTP

View Profile
« Reply #1475 on: 2008 December 01, 03:45:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Since tomorrow is December 1st in the United States, I'd suggest waiting until the bandwith gets restored? (doesn't it?) You'll just have to warn the others of not making a free for all. Also, don't forget that as the 12s in the United States go to school the 12s from schools around the world are leaving to go home or already out of school! Make the effort to stop them! 12s, they have failed us, you must not!

Abstain.

neriana
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #1476 on: 2008 December 01, 03:47:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have to think about it more. I don't think this is a normal situation, I don't know that it can be directly compared to, say, deciding to bring TSR down through server attacks or something. I'd rather things could just calm down, since tomorrow there won't be so many people trying to see the site.

The site wouldn't be permanently burned, correct? I dunno. I'm not inclined to trust Pescado about everything. I do not like the idea of a new site founded on taking down an old site with server attacks. I just think there has to be a better way. Someone needs to suck up to Walt.

Anouk
ARR!

Inactive

View Profile
« Reply #1477 on: 2008 December 01, 03:48:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You know what, Walt can't keep the community there even if he wanted to. Let's say he closes the thing down.
Well SHIT on him, that asshole. All those creators can and will do without him. He can lock shit down all he wants, but you can't physically force people to not upload their OWN stuff eslewhere, you cant force them to stay on a forum they don't want to be on, and you will never keep them away from building a new home.

Inactive
Bliss
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #1478 on: 2008 December 01, 03:49:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I am with Nouk and Paden.  Do not burn.  We are not destroyers of anything except paysites.  We don't take down actual servers.

Yaardarm Monkey II
ARR!

still the same simian of plunder

View Profile
« Reply #1479 on: 2008 December 01, 03:51:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Nouk is right.

Stop and think everyone.  There is right and there is wrong; and it is Walt's site, however a person may not like him, or have altruistic reasons for 'saving' Insim...Insim does belong to him.

Individual files, they are the creators concern.

For the sake of decency and ethical responsibility, stop and think.  
This "burn it, burn it" talk is like something out of Lord Of The Flies for crying out loud!   Undecided

I say it again: Nouk is right.  Listen to Nouk.
Anouk
ARR!

Inactive

View Profile
« Reply #1480 on: 2008 December 01, 03:51:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

All your rum are belong to us!

Inactive
Pottymouth
Paden
ARR!

Great Cat of no mercy.

View Profile
« Reply #1481 on: 2008 December 01, 03:54:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The community belongs to the community and they can take it to any site that is set up for them. Same with uploads. The staff are ready to start laying the groundwork of a new home, we just need a place to do it. Some of the data and old stuff would be nice, yes. It would be like putting in the old grandfather clock from your parent's home. But, I dare say, if they have a place to go, the community will come and bring all to it that once rested at InSIM.

The tea is not fit to drink; it's been stewed and is old.
Pescado
Pirate King

View Profile
« Reply #1482 on: 2008 December 01, 03:57:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The site wouldn't be permanently burned, correct? I dunno. I'm not inclined to trust Pescado about everything. I do not like the idea of a new site founded on taking down an old site with server attacks. I just think there has to be a better way. Someone needs to suck up to Walt.
No, I was just thinking of something like spiking a database table to render it unreadable and thus cause the forum to stop functioning, halting the SWARM OF 12s. The repair would be pretty trivial. At the moment, it seems not to be necessary, though.

Give a man a fire, and you warm him for a day. Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
neriana
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #1483 on: 2008 December 01, 03:58:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've been wondering, why does the entire site need to be nabbed anyway? People seem to have gotten most of the downloads by now, and most of the creators certainly have back-ups. The stories and contests are there, so long as the site can be accessed when it's not being melted, and people can screencap/recreate whatever they want from those. (Though I do not understand why they'd need to recreate the contests, and I'd think most story writers would have their own copies they could re-upload somewhere.) A new Insim site certainly does not need 500 bajillion old "thanks!" and "boobies!" posts. So what's the panic?

scrappysim
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #1484 on: 2008 December 01, 03:58:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think let him come back in and let things settle down a bit.  He has only made 12 posts.  He has had the weekend to see what is happening (and we know he has seen something because he has had to reboot the servers a few times).  Maybe he will come in on Monday and finally respond to some of the issues.  Then when it is all calm and everyone is as reasurred as they can be, the "back-up" can resume.  Right now this is all too fresh for people and that is what is causing the storm.  No one has been given any reason to think that the site was going to go pay tomorrow so the creators taht are saying "I want to get my stuff before he tries to sell it without my permission" need to relax and give it a few days.

None of this should be percieved as me in any way condoning or sticking up for Walt.  I just want the site to be able to survive and I dont think killing it so that you can try to resurect it is the way to go yet.  It has only been a few days.  We dont know enough yet.

Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Deeply. . . . It's worth it!
Pages: 1 ... 97 98 [99] 100 101 ... 237 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: