PMBD PMBD
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 02, 14:48:31

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
138712 Posts in 1637 Topics by 5282 Members
Latest Member: AlexanderPistoletov
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  PMBD
|-+  The Pirate Ship
| |-+  ARR!
| | |-+  Would Anyone Care to Chime In?
0 Members and 2 Chinese Bots are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Would Anyone Care to Chime In?  (Read 39387 times)
simsfunk
Landlubber

View Profile
Would Anyone Care to Chime In?
« Reply #30 on: 2006 November 27, 09:38:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Denimjo"
Given the fact that someone is 'getting a headache' from people using 'big words,' I'm wondering how long it's going to be until the thread is locked just to simplify matters.  :roll:
The reason they are probably getting a headache from all the big words is because most of the people you are "debating" with are a lot younger than you think and probably aren't used to it.

Quote from: "Denimjo"
I could be way off on this, but the mods there don't strike me as the types to ban someone from their own site just because they happened to have registered here.
No, they won't ban you for that. Otherwise I would have been banned ages ago when I actually joined here.

Quote from: "NoComment"
I just feel that posting a link should be allowed, most of the people on boolprop are young kids who can't afford to pay for things...why not let them download pay stuff for free?
The reason we don't allow posting a link on there, is because although Boolprop Sims is a donation site that has VERY occasional donation items to pay for hosting (whether you say we're paying over the odds or not - not your concern), your site could still affect ours and we chose not to allow posting the link.

PMBD is all over the simming community anyway - they'll find out about it another way sooner or later. Just not from us.

hat the...?!?
Randomness
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 2006 November 27, 10:20:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "simsfunk"
The reason they are probably getting a headache from all the big words is because most of the people you are "debating" with are a lot younger than you think and probably aren't used to it.

I figured as such, but when I mentioned that fact (about a poster's age and how she might not be familiar with the details of 'association,' she got rather pissy with me. Plus, I think that Drew wasn't too fond of the whole 'age-related discussion,' so I just dropped it.

Quote from: "NoComment"
I just feel that posting a link should be allowed, most of the people on boolprop are young kids who can't afford to pay for things...why not let them download pay stuff for free?
The reason we don't allow posting a link on there, is because although Boolprop Sims is a donation site that has VERY occasional donation items to pay for hosting (whether you say we're paying over the odds or not - not your concern), your site could still affect ours and we chose not to allow posting the link.

I can respect your/their wishes on that matter as well.

ETA: Well, with Cel's latest fit about us, I expect this thread will get locked pretty soon. If anyone has anything else to add, you'd best do it quickly.
Benjamina
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 2006 November 27, 13:51:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

And I see Emma's at least a lurker here as well...*waves hi to Emma*.  What's the point of that anyway? Denimjo is not taking those thoughts to that thread, she's leaving them here, and is handling the debate there quite well and upholding everything you've asked of her.  Not that she needs any defense, but damn, you've got balls cross-quoting.  As a mod there, I would expect YOU to act with grace and dignity, and if you had a problem with what she is doing on YOUR board, to handle it as such.  She's not doing a damn thing wrong on YOUR precious board within YOUR guidelines.

What a FINE example of how to treat another member of your community that you are setting for your 13 year old and younger members with the way you are acting with that particular post.  /end sarcasm

As to who wants to consult a dictionary when they don't know a word *raises hand in the affirmative* I do.  Heck everyone I know does that.  If you aren't doing that, you are not exercising your mind and expanding your vocabulary, you are choosing to live in ignorance, you are choosing to be lazy, plain and simple.  With sites such as dictionary.com, answers.com, or with a browser such as Firefox, there's no reason whatsoever not to lookup whatever word you are unfamiliar with in less time than it takes to go grab a drink from the refrigerator these days!

ll right. No more Ms. Nice Guy.
Ensign EO
ARR!

Not a cash cow.

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 2006 November 27, 13:52:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ugh, why should debates be simplified so that everyone can understand?  Why not, oh I dunno, expect that people with either, A) be informed enough to have an opinion, even if they aren't strong debaters, B) lurk at the thread until they CAN form an opinion from the information given there, C) go off-site, educate themselves on what the topic is about and then return to say something, or D) not say anything at all?

On random usage of foreign language: Omg, es bos fatuus!  :O

I'm taking Latin (because for some reason I have to take a language for two years) and I practise it on my friends at Myspace.  I don't, however, throw it around in public areas because I hate explaining myself, and when I do make a mistake using it, it just makes me mad.  Plus I like people to understand me, and since my sentence structures sometimes go a little crazy, I already have a hard enough time getting people to understand, much less myself.
dorquemada
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 2006 November 27, 14:51:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It must be helluva boring debating people, for whom a "they worked hard on it therefore they must be paid" and -- this one is especially good -- "site A which is run by some dork I don't know can go die and I won't care,  but site B which is OMG cool (because I like it), now if you take their stuff you're a meanie!" are valid arguments.  And those obnoxious huge signatures, eeew!

As for big words, I wonder why they are so scary wi'dem  Fangirlese-babbling fanboys and fangirls aplenty there. :twisted:

The Pirate Party!
_____
Every time you can has, God kills a lolcat.
NoComment
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 2006 November 27, 15:06:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Wow...she does seem angry  :shock: Ah well, I will go to hell with  my stolen files  and play the sims 2 in my eternal damnation   :lol:
torque
ARR!

all I wanna do, wanna take your moneys!

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 2006 November 27, 15:49:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "migamoo"
Any non-paysite owner against file-sharing is just pissed they didn't think of it first.

Let them ALL go pay. And THEN we'll talk about "morals". Can't imagine what bitching and whining it would cause when everything went pay. Absolutely every single piece of CC. :lol:

neriana
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 2006 November 27, 15:53:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Cel's first language obviously isn't English. But acting like every native English speaker should write so she can understand perfectly smacks of a rather massive sense of entitlement. Especially since I have problems understanding her, but I'd never get huffy about it, as English is not her first language.

(I was going to put the following in that discussion as well, but then figured it might really piss some people off. You never can tell what will set off moderators, especially in the Sims community.)

Quoting a different discussion on another site seems kind of dishonorable to me, especially when you have a policy against linking to the site where that discussion is taking place.

I'm with carysehlwinn on the vocabulary thing. This is how I write, and how I speak. I stopped "dumbing down" my language when I went to college, with an immense sigh of relief. I'm not trying to show off, but I'm not going to write to be understood by every person on the planet, no matter their age or knowledge of the English language. I will use the proper words for things, and won't try to second-guess whether other people understand them or not. I assume that they do, or know how to open a dictionary.

Feverish
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 2006 November 27, 17:05:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't pride myself on being a scholarly or particularly intelligent person because I'm not.
Although, I do have enough common sense to look up a word that I don't understand.
Why would you ever ask someone to dumb down their language?
If they use a word that you don't understand, you get a chance to learn a new word.

"Second thing: if you come out of the disabled toilet to find someone waiting on you, scream, "it's a miracle!" and dance the hell out of there."
   ~Paden
migamoo
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 2006 November 27, 17:26:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: ".torque."
Let them ALL go pay. And THEN we'll talk about "morals". Can't imagine what bitching and whining it would cause when everything went pay. Absolutely every single piece of CC. :lol:

I dunno, I'd love to see that.
wicked_one
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 2006 November 27, 18:24:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "neriana"
Hey, wait a minute, just a chunk? Which chunk would that be? I thought our subscription fees were going to pay for Pescado's bunker, TJ's doghouse, and, er.... Crammyboy's cock?

so paying for subscription fees will get you access to crammyboys cock? or the tiny pixel version?
not that i would pay for either one, but i know of some people who might lol
OpenLegs for one
simsfunk
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 2006 November 27, 19:21:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Benjamina"
And I see Emma's at least a lurker here as well...*waves hi to Emma*
*waves back*

but damn, you've got balls cross-quoting
Okay - for your first point - I'll admit I was seeing red at first, and have deleted that part of my post a while ago.

But I'm sorry, but what the heck is everyone HERE doing except for cross-quoting?!

As to who wants to consult a dictionary when they don't know a word *raises hand in the affirmative* I do.  Heck everyone I know does that.
As to THIS point... I think you should have read what I put properly first. I'm the first to admit that if I don't understand a word I'll go and look it up. My point was, that nobody wants to do that for every single post they read

Jesus.... every one is coming down on me like a f***ing ton of bricks lately.

hat the...?!?
neriana
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 2006 November 27, 19:41:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

And I see Emma's at least a lurker here as well...*waves hi to Emma*
*waves back*

but damn, you've got balls cross-quoting
Okay - for your first point - I'll admit I was seeing red at first, and have deleted that part of my post a while ago.

But I'm sorry, but what the heck is everyone HERE doing except for cross-quoting?!

As to who wants to consult a dictionary when they don't know a word *raises hand in the affirmative* I do.  Heck everyone I know does that.
As to THIS point... I think you should have read what I put properly first. I'm the first to admit that if I don't understand a word I'll go and look it up. My point was, that nobody wants to do that for every single post they read.

Then they should learn more. Seriously. There was not one word quoted there that was terribly unusual. Don't want to feel like an ignoramus? Stop being an ignoramus then. (Hypothetically, that is; I'm not calling YOU an ignoramus.)

Jesus.... every one is coming down on me like a f***ing ton of bricks lately.

I don't see any bricks. I do see a lot of defensiveness. People don't mince words around here. It's not a place for the thin-skinned. When people around here get angry, we pretty much say what we think. Just like you just did. Refreshing, but you need to be able to take it as well as dish it out.

Quinctia
ARR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: 2006 November 27, 19:49:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

As to THIS point... I think you should have read what I put properly first. I'm the first to admit that if I don't understand a word I'll go and look it up. My point was, that nobody wants to do that for every single post they read

Yeah, but to give the second-language excuse is BS.  If you want to communicate in something that you're not fluent in, you have to accept the fact that there will be times you will know fuck all about what's going on in a conversation, and the onus is on YOU to go figure it out, or ask politely for help.

ETA:  I'm aware that you weren't the one who brought up ESL stuff, but...it's kinda annoying.  I'm understanding of nonnative speakers, when it comes to their own messages, or if they misunderstand me, but if they don't know a word, they need to look it up. Smiley
rubbersushi
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 2006 November 27, 20:37:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hello, boolpropian Rubbersushi7 here, waving hello to all you... I dunno what they call this site's members. Anyway, I had a feeling Denim, :wink: sneaky little fox that she is, imported some friends to boolprop just for the sake of argument. I see Emma was/is here. Hi Emma! *waves* Cheesy

Onto my point(?) thingy. I realise this site's forum is very different from Boolprop. You may or may not of smelled the over-powering odor of candy, rainbows, and sparkley goodness. Boolprop is a very friendly atmosphere, and I would sincerely appreciate it if you can keep the debate that way. Yes, I'm saying to cut off your balls and decorate it with glitter and marshmellows so that our three-year-old members can understand and take part in the debate. For it is an enriching experience, and an important topic.

No, the mods wont ban you if you're mean, although it pisses all of us off. I just came here to get down on my knees and ask you to be more kind, respectful, act less abhorrent to our members, and obey the rules of our forum, (although I don't believe you've broken any), so that it doesn't bring our squeaky clean community down. Something about rainbows, teddy-bears, and Santa.

Thanks! Wuv, (disgusting cutesy kissing noises)
Concerned Member of Boolprop
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: