PMBD PMBD
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 06, 17:13:57

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
138712 Posts in 1637 Topics by 5282 Members
Latest Member: AlexanderPistoletov
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  PMBD
|-+  The Pirate Ship
| |-+  ARR!
| | |-+  I smell bullshit
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 24 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: I smell bullshit  (Read 100210 times)
Pariland
ARR!

View Profile
I smell bullshit
« Reply #75 on: 2006 December 15, 21:09:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You know what stole my fun?  Knowing now, that because I chose to "donate" to pay sites, that their ultimate greed means my home address and home phone number might be posted on any number of boards attempting to stop filesharing.  Knowing that TSR was involved. And I didn't even share any files.

My loss of fun trumps yours.  At least your loss won't possibly have some nutjob show up on your doorstep or calling your house.  Your loss just means you move on to other fun hobbies - that and that TSR will continue to profit from your work long after you've left them.
Caedre
ARR!

View Profile
I smell bullshit
« Reply #76 on: 2006 December 15, 21:28:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Pescado"
Quote from: "Mac_in_Black"
I say stand up and be heard. If they don't like it, fine. You can find a place elsewhere and feel better about yourself to boot.

Standing up and being heard is what this place is all about, after all. The fact of the matter is that the sims filesharing community has been around as long paysites have. It has largely carried on underground, in relative silence.

BUT I REFUSE TO BE SILENT! Paysites must be destroyed!

On the other hand Pescado, what if all the paysites will be destroyed... we won't have all the nice content.. sure there are a few free creators.. but the best ones are pay...

Well be cutting our own fingers there.

Theres nothing wrong in sharing with other people. But sharing can indeed go wrong. On the other hand... I have subbed more than ever on pay sites, so what excactly is your point?
idtaminger
ARR!

View Profile
I smell bullshit
« Reply #77 on: 2006 December 15, 21:37:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "shannanigan"
You guys have stolen more than my stuff... you have stolen my fun.

Wait, so uploading at a place like MTS2 is less fun than uploading at TSR? The only difference I can discern is the money - hmm, maybe that's what makes it more "fun". :roll:
momoryde
Landlubber

View Profile
I smell bullshit
« Reply #78 on: 2006 December 15, 21:39:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Caedre"
On the other hand Pescado, what if all the paysites will be destroyed... we won't have all the nice content.. sure there are a few free creators.. but the best ones are pay...

Actually, a lot of the "best ones" are free, or were free until they got greedy. How many times have you heard, "oh, I love so-and-so's set, I had them from when they were on MTS2... she's gone pay now, though."

Effectively ALL of the worthwhile modders - including Pescado himself - are free.

Except that Pescado himself doesn't actually use any custom content except his own hacks, as far as I recall.

Still, don't drink the damn Kool-Aid. I think most paysite creators charge because there's a market for their stuff, not because they wouldn't do it if there wasn't.

Theres nothing wrong in sharing with other people. But sharing can indeed go wrong. On the other hand... I have subbed more than ever on pay sites, so what excactly is your point?

The point is, some people who sub to paysites want to share, and Pescado is enabling it because he doesn't like paysites, and also because this is doubtless an amusing spectacle to him.
I smell bullshit
« Reply #79 on: 2006 December 15, 21:39:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

A 'few'. How many people have uploaded to MTS2? How many people have free sites?

How many pay hairs do you know of that animate as well as Maxis hair? I don't know of any, myself, but I do know of some free ones that do, and have nicer textures - made by Nouk. The vast majority of my downloaded clothes are from free sites (Eyecandy, Fanseelamb, Parsimonious, SageSims, and Mermaid Cove), because the skinning is better, with proper shading, texturing, seam matching, and not relying on bump maps and photoskinning to do all of the work. Their work integrates better with the look of the game without being as plastic as most Maxis textures.

Try again.
Quorneater
ARR!

View Profile
I smell bullshit
« Reply #80 on: 2006 December 15, 21:39:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

sure there are a few free creators.. but the best ones are pay...

What absolute poppycock!  Do you only know a few sites or something?

Our lil friend must be stopped.
Marhis
ARR!

This Space For Rent

View Profile
I smell bullshit
« Reply #81 on: 2006 December 15, 21:49:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Caedre, I sincerely hope it's a joke.

I'm playing the sims from the very beginning, and the only subscription I have had in all these years is an actual TSR (sigh). The only pay files I use in my game are Sunair's hair, though.
No other pay files, neither pay-shared-for-free: except Sunair stuff, all and only officially free stuff, and I don't feel like my game is ugly looking without them.

THE FUTURE OF THIS SIGNATURE IS BRIGHT
jesserocket
ARR!

View Profile
I smell bullshit
« Reply #82 on: 2006 December 15, 22:11:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm inclined to think joking.

Since I've decided to be organized with my bookmarks, my Free Sims Sites folder is by far the largest, and at least 70% of the stuff on the sites there are make of goodquality and win...

arr Harr Fiddledeedee,
Being a Pirate is alright with me!
Do what you want cos a Pirate is free!
YOU ARE A PIRATE!
Pescado
Pirate King

View Profile
I smell bullshit
« Reply #83 on: 2006 December 15, 22:49:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Pure and utter balderdash. Have you been smoking some of that happy weed?

Quote from: "Marhis"
I'm playing the sims from the very beginning, and the only subscription I have had in all these years is an actual TSR (sigh).

I'd cancel that fast if I were you. It looks like TSR is about to start selling out your personal info.

Give a man a fire, and you warm him for a day. Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
cleveralias
Landlubber

View Profile
I smell bullshit
« Reply #84 on: 2006 December 15, 23:08:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Amen to that, Pariland. That's what killed my fun, too, and any doubt I may have had about the paysite vs filesharing war. And it woke me up in a very big way: I'm much more careful on the internet now. I don't even consider being so free with my money or information. The fact of the matter is, we have no control of where it ends up when dealing with small sites run by people we don't know. I feel better off just dealing with very large, reputable sites of real businesses, and to hell with the greedy people in the sims community. Enough is enough.

Sharing personal information and banning subscribers based on hearsay should be the death of TSR. At the very least it will be the death of TSR's reputation.

Quote from: "Pariland"
You know what stole my fun?  Knowing now, that because I chose to "donate" to pay sites, that their ultimate greed means my home address and home phone number might be posted on any number of boards attempting to stop filesharing.  Knowing that TSR was involved. And I didn't even share any files.

My loss of fun trumps yours.  At least your loss won't possibly have some nutjob show up on your doorstep or calling your house.  Your loss just means you move on to other fun hobbies - that and that TSR will continue to profit from your work long after you've left them.
Captain Flint
Landlubber

View Profile
I smell bullshit
« Reply #85 on: 2006 December 15, 23:13:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Saying things like if paysites disapear all the good creators will go with is nonsence,
it just means no one will get paid for sims creations anymore.

new creators come fourth everyday to give creations to everyone for free
and some of the best creators have never gone pay, Imagine if you had to pay for Quaxis simpe? or if Numenors modding were pay? but they were not and never have been and they do it all for the love of the challenge and simmers.

url=http://paysites.mustbedestroyed.org/booty/exnem]Exnem[/url] Exnem
Sims 2
AnneBonny
ARR!

Currently doubting your existance

View Profile
I smell bullshit
« Reply #86 on: 2006 December 16, 01:01:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Frankly, I'm surprised they haven't booted me off the island for some of the things I've said. (Of course being here might just give that final push.)

Is this suppose to make you a victim or make us pity your position? Didn't you choose to be under Tom's ironfist and profitable contract? Last I heard an FA has accepted his terms via agreement of giving away your 'fun for free' in order to make profit for TSR. So long as you are an FA creating for Sims 2 for the sole purpose of profit I have no pity for someone that sells their digital work alike a dirty whore selling sex in the redlight district.

And aside from all that.... none of you are infallible saints. You've got no room to judge anybody's ethical standards.

Yet here you are judging PMBD's work. How hypocritical...

Oh and one more thing.... Maxis has contacted some FAs. I think if they had a problem with anything, they wouldn't have been interested in talking with us. You guys are making a mountain out of a mole hill to justify what you do here....

Yes that's true. They have contacted Windkeeper about a job from what I have heard on the forums. No they have no problem with FA's. We are talking about people that sold their ~fun~  to greed. You're an FA and should know this already. EA Games has never had a problem with people with that type of mentality.

As for making a mountain out of a molehill I would say "Look who's talking" as you are here making a mountain of PMBD sharing your work for free when you want to sell it for sheer profit.  :roll:

“Life's pretty good, and why wouldn't it be? I'm a pirate, after all.”
neriana
ARR!

View Profile
I smell bullshit
« Reply #87 on: 2006 December 16, 01:07:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If I were good enough at creating content that some site chose to host it for me, for free, while giving me credit for it, I'd be very happy. It's flattering. It would add to my "fun", as it would be an ego boost.

The only thing I can think of that could possibly interfere with that is money. Money + game mods = total suckage. If you're not having fun, don't create any more. If you're only doing it for the money, STOP PLEASE.

Marhis
ARR!

This Space For Rent

View Profile
I smell bullshit
« Reply #88 on: 2006 December 16, 02:18:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Pescado"
I'd cancel that fast if I were you. It looks like TSR is about to start selling out your personal info.

It was a 6 months sub (sigh) and it's about to expire.
As a side thought, I almost hope they will report me to the police, somehow, if they think I'm a legal-rights-stealer. They may do it, in Italy an official report is all what you need, to deal with any copyright infringement suspect.
In this would happens, a judgement court will have to officially state about EA/creators/TSR copyrights.

THE FUTURE OF THIS SIGNATURE IS BRIGHT
sickpuppy
ARR!

View Profile
I smell bullshit
« Reply #89 on: 2006 December 16, 02:40:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If a creator is chosen as an FA, they get 'paid' but they also get free access to the stuff on the site, right?

I can't fault any of the FAs for 'selling out'--they found a way to get free stuff and some money, so what? Who wouldn't? Now we have this site and SFV, but we haven't always had these. Who wouldn't want the access to the goodies??

Those of you faulting FAs for 'selling out' are being self righteous. I am pretty sure that is an ajdective that belongs to the enemy, paysites.

I also know that some of the FAs, maybe all? Have and do give out their stuff on the sly, unknown to TSR powers that be, even to simmers they don't even know, just cuz a simmer said something nice about the FA's stuff!

How do I know this? I was on the receiving end once.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 24 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: