PMBD PMBD
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 03, 22:35:09

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
138712 Posts in 1637 Topics by 5282 Members
Latest Member: AlexanderPistoletov
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  PMBD
|-+  The Pirate Ship
| |-+  ARR!
| | |-+  They did it again
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: They did it again  (Read 34628 times)
Witchboy
ARR!

View Profile WWW
They did it again
« Reply #30 on: 2007 November 22, 03:41:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I stopped purchasing EA products after OFB. Not that i dont have them all :twisted: i just refuse to purchase anything else EA has to offer untill they straighten up their act.

*Empress Paden's Fanboy*
*ShanOw, now 100% more stoppable then me!*
*O Coconut, Coconut, wherefore art thou Coconut?*

freoninferno
Landlubber

Truth is a great flirt.

View Profile
They did it again
« Reply #31 on: 2007 November 22, 03:50:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

it'll never happen.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously.
redisenchanted
ARR!

View Profile
They did it again
« Reply #32 on: 2007 November 22, 04:32:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Pescado"
Celebrations was not really a very demanded stuffpack to begin with, while "Teen Stuff" is, apparently, popular with a demographic that, obviously, has no money to spend! Both are equally SecuROM infested

Wait, does Celebrations have SecuRom? I didn't think that it did. I'm getting ready to reinstall my game minus the cursed SecuRom so I want to make sure.
Druid
ARR!

View Profile
They did it again
« Reply #33 on: 2007 November 22, 04:49:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

For various reasons I won't bore you with, I recently ordered a new pre-built computer from a reputable company (rather than buy parts and assemble myself). I've been a dedicated fan of the sims, obtaining (mostly legally i.e. buying from the store) every EP and SP since TS1... But now I don't even think I'm going to put it on my new computer. I don't want Securom fucking up a fresh computer. I yohoho'ed the newest SP and i haven't even bothered to install it. I haven't even THOUGHT about playing the sims in weeks. My current computer is in its death throes (i won't blame securom explicitly but i'm sure it didn't help anything)

Way to chase away a dedicated fan, EA. And as stated, i'm not the only one...  It's sad to see the game we all used to love so much dying like this, as one by one the community members get so frustrated with the company and just say Fuck it and drift off to new hobbies that aren't going to hijack their computers.  Sad
Markus
ARR!

View Profile
They did it again
« Reply #34 on: 2007 November 22, 05:27:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I just play Seasons and everything before that and hope they clean their act up for the third game. I'm crazy about the Sims, and can't imagine my life without it, but EA is slowly killing it for me.
I'm going to sit back and watch when Hobbies comes out. There will be so many problems with it that the shit will really start to hit the fan.
calalily
ARR!

Belili, wife of Ningishzida - or Kali for short

View Profile WWW
They did it again
« Reply #35 on: 2007 November 22, 06:00:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

freoninferno - I've heard from others with Kaspersky AV that SecuRom messes with it big time.  One of the best places for help and information on how to remove SecuRom is MATY - Pescado's other forum.  They have instructions on how to clean it out completely, and may be able to point you in the right direction for non-7 SecuRom information.

Quote from: "redisenchanted"
Wait, does Celebrations have SecuRom? I didn't think that it did. I'm getting ready to reinstall my game minus the cursed SecuRom so I want to make sure.

No - I'm pretty sure that it first came in with H&M (hence EAxis saying "Well what's your problem you've had it for ages silly customer").  Even if it does, there's no executable - that comes with BV.  I have all eps and stuff packs, all legitimate, all in order, and SecuRom infested me on the day I installed BV.  See here (Australian date format is dd/mm):

http://img503.imageshack.us/img503/2295/securom1vg8.jpg

Visit Calalilysims

To Hotel - never a problem - and I knew it would be a valid thing. Kiss My love to you too - come find me one day. Cheesy
Pescado
Pirate King

View Profile
They did it again
« Reply #36 on: 2007 November 22, 06:36:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It came with Celebrations also, but as most people were running Pets/Seasons, and thus used the Pets/Seasons executables, it had no effect.

Give a man a fire, and you warm him for a day. Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
missangelica
ARR!

Now even more ridiculous! (the bouffant edition)

View Profile
They did it again
« Reply #37 on: 2007 November 22, 06:47:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My computer has been dead since August.. so no sims since August.  We got a new computer for the family about a month ago.  I have been going back and forth on whether I should install it and it's been "no" every time so..

EA, you have fucked yourself in the ass.  They called Safedisc their "former copyright protection" in the official FAQ and I know that putting Securom on all their games was a millions of dollars deal..  It will be on the next L&P ep.

defiantly- marked by defiance; boldly resisting.
definitely- decidedly: without question and beyond doubt

The difference.  You can has.  Learn it.  Love it.
Vod Kaknockers
ARR!

View Profile
They did it again
« Reply #38 on: 2007 November 22, 06:52:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Why the fuck should EA make a stand against pay sites?  They might offend someone who'll spend money on their shit.  Better to sit on the fence and rake it in from both sides.  I've loved the Sims since the first incarnation, but this shit is getting ridiculous.  *smacks EA on head with rolled up newspaper*  Bad EA!  Borking computers is bad!

'Cause beans and cornbread, they go hand in hand.
Saraswati
ARR!

View Profile
They did it again
« Reply #39 on: 2007 November 22, 07:21:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm not sure if this has been posted in this thread (I've been in bed with a migrane for most of the last day) but according to Maxoid Sam, a Securerom uninstall tool is coming..

http://bbs.thesims2.ea.com/community/bbs/messages.php?threadID=ca9cea8b8f6ed84fdc97f42d919e009d&directoryID=211&startRow=26&openItemID=item.211,root.1,item.61,item.104,item.41,item.127,item.23

He stresses this is only for the people who want to remove BV/Securerom from their computers.. It sounds to me like they've just gone c'e la vie when it comes to the customers they will lose. They're probably counting on the fact that the majority of simmers don't visit the site so won't know about the controversy.

For myself, I found out that other games I have on the pc actually use this copy protection, and it isn't causing problems for my particular pc so I'm just resigned to having it...

My home sites are  http://www.sublimesims.net/ and
Reclaim Your Game http://reclaimyourgame.com/
freoninferno
Landlubber

Truth is a great flirt.

View Profile
They did it again
« Reply #40 on: 2007 November 22, 09:29:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

that's what they are counting on. nazi germany counted on that too (apathy factor thingie...)

Quote from: "Angha Tyl"
For myself, I found out that other games I have on the pc actually use this copy protection, and it isn't causing problems for my particular pc so I'm just resigned to having it...

thanks calalily. i already ruled out KAV, it's no more correlated than paint or notepad since we tested it with it running and without, installed and uninstalled. but if it were, it would be because KAV is doing the job it is designed to do by protecting the operating system from illegal rogue malware that is stealthed in and operating under deception. i got my other info from MATY, been there about 2 years (woOt). this is a shop pc, so we have no personal investment as far as experimenting with it. it makes a good test bed. the problem is Securom, yepper. we measured the box against others with torrent clients & there are no ISP probs on them.
cheers!

Quote from: "calalily"
freoninferno - I've heard from others with Kaspersky AV that SecuRom messes with it big time.  One of the best places for help and information on how to remove SecuRom is MATY - Pescado's other forum.  They have instructions on how to clean it out completely, and may be able to point you in the right direction for non-7 SecuRom information.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously.
Saraswati
ARR!

View Profile
They did it again
« Reply #41 on: 2007 November 22, 09:38:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "freoninferno"
that's what they are counting on. nazi germany counted on that too (apathy factor thingie...).

Freninferno.. this is not a case of safety or personal liberty or rights of your body. This is about hobby and it's just a computer in the end. That allegory is way over the top.

And I can understand your guys reaction, but I have two games I'm not prepared to give up that use it, by two different manufacturers.. and they're the two major games I play and enjoy. So there's no point in getting stressed, I either play my games or don't. I chose to play my games and enjoy them..

And Securerom is actually not causing any problems with my pc.. not sure why, but it isn't. So I have no reason to remove it or BV, or I'd consider myself a bit of a mungbean if I'm only doing something because everyone else is..

freoninferno
Landlubber

Truth is a great flirt.

View Profile
They did it again
« Reply #42 on: 2007 November 22, 09:46:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

actually, it's not over the top, but grossly understated. this is no different than minimalizing anything else where personal property is concerned. this is no different than if i bought someone's gas and after the purchase was transacted they subsumed the right to alter my car in some way beneficial to them with out my consent. it is literally the hijacking of my personal property and my use of my personal property. the metaphors, analogies and allegories can go on & on and never quite state strongly enough the beligerant crime involved. it has nothing to do with a hobby, it has everything to do with what is yours and theirs, where lines are drawn and where they are blurred and on spinning public perception & therefor ultimately, policy. ergo, your personal sovereignty extends beyond your body to anything you own & your sovereign use of that, and where a powerful tool such a computer is concerned, it affects safety in grave ways. games are only a litmus & a diversion.

Freninferno.. this is not a case of safety or personal liberty or rights of your body. This is about hobby and it's just a computer in the end. That allegory is way over the top.

that said, i like your angle, and that you presented this percpetion, but no matter how much fun it is to verbally wrestle, this little girl is tired so i will have to catch the tet a tet laters. yay bed!

Saraswati
ARR!

View Profile
They did it again
« Reply #43 on: 2007 November 22, 09:58:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oh whatever.. you're coming across as very young with that statement hun. Either that or at Uni or haven't had your life bash you about.

I on the other hand have had to fight and struggle just about my whole life and my sense of perspective remains focused on the stuff that is important.. which is my family and making sure I get to have fun with my game. While what EA is doing is wrong, it is nowhere near as important as home, family, personal liberty.. It's just a PC company doing the wrong thing. If you're seeing it on that level, you need to get out more.

freoninferno
Landlubber

Truth is a great flirt.

View Profile
They did it again
« Reply #44 on: 2007 November 22, 10:09:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oh whatever.. you're coming across as very young with that statement hun. Either that or at Uni or haven't had your life bash you about.

I on the other hand have had to fight and struggle just about my whole life and my sense of perspective remains focused on the stuff that is important.. which is my family and making sure I get to have fun with my game. While what EA is doing is wrong, it is nowhere near as important as home, family, personal liberty.. It's just a PC company doing the wrong thing. If you're seeing it on that level, you need to get out more.

oh dear me, just because i  am not eighty, i am of 'insufficient life experience' and because i disagree with you, you take it personally, intolerantly and make assumptions about my education and social depth. hmm. well lessee, i think your rhetoric belies your immaturity, regardless of your age, you come across as short tempered & cross with those who do not agree. also, i am not a senior citizen, but have a child in college. as for my college, i have 8 years, grad 3 degrees & quite a few professional certifications. i get out plenty because i own my own business & also go on the road occasionally with a band to perform.

i also respect your right to say what you will & act as immature as you want. i also defend your right to the same, but don't make it personal grandpa. this is just community discourse. goodnight and don't forget to smile sometime between here & there.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: