PMBD PMBD
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 06, 12:06:05

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
138712 Posts in 1637 Topics by 5282 Members
Latest Member: AlexanderPistoletov
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  PMBD
|-+  The Pirate Ship
| |-+  ARR!
| | |-+  Insim under new management!
0 Members and 21 Chinese Bots are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 120 121 [122] 123 124 ... 237 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Insim under new management!  (Read 913430 times)
calalily
ARR!

Belili, wife of Ningishzida - or Kali for short

View Profile WWW
Re: Insim under new management!
« Reply #1815 on: 2008 December 02, 00:13:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Then why are the very mods of Insim bothering to tell anyone not to go there - why not just ask them not to download - they can make stickies and everything - they're mods.  And from those screenshots, shows they were taken today, they did in fact, post there.  More than one moderator as well.  And why are they yelling about the importance of staying away, if we don't actually have to stay away?

hrmmmm ... if I'm not mistaken it was people HERE that first started yelling and creating and telling people to stay away

ORLY?

I'm just trying to suggest you get some organizational skills and go about it in an orderly fashion as has been suggested. Running haphapzardly all at once all over both sites is only preventing you from completing what you're trying to accomplish. For one, people like gothplague who'd recently had a serious meltdown of her computer a few weeks ago had a Hell of a time trying to get in and get copies of 3 years worth of her hard work for backups because of the feeding frenzy you're displaying.

I'm not thinking of myself in this at all but of the friends I have at both sites, so quit trying to act like this is some kind of magnanimous action by most of you. If it is you're sure showing it in a strange way.

And if everyone must join in the slurping at least organise it so you do a section each - not everyone heading for the same one first and leaving some out altogether Smiley
Look, I have a battlefleet of 7 commercial-grade servers. There is no way you can do anything except slow things down.

Then the rest ought to just kick back and let you go about it...

Simple: They are only acting on what people *here* are saying.  Lots of people said "STAY AWAY!!!" so they did, and a lot of people didn't really think why.

Then why are any of the people bothering to stay away - Pescado asked and we provided - or at least those with no stake in Insim provided.

As we all know, back only a few days ago, when the whole Walt thing hit, there where hundreds of people on the site without hardly any server busy messages.  It's only since all the file slurping has started happening that the server has basically melted.  So, we know that (as I have mentioned), lots of people simply *reading* can easily be handled by the server.  Additionally, lots of people reading plus a few posting and downloading, thats fine too.  Where it melts down is in people slurping everything *and* lots of people wanting to visit and post. 

I'm just saying that a few people actually reading the site and giving the people here the lowdown on whats happening really isn't going to affect the "backup" one way or another since that is in and of itself the most server-intensive task that it's doing right now. 

Seeing as the mods of the site are saying one thing and doing another, why would anyone not download as well?

Look, Paden, if one of you guys can't go to the damn staff forum for some pictures, then maybe the 250+ normal members can satisfy curiosity. Owait, they can't. Nevermind.  Wink

They'll try now that the mods can't control themselves now, won't they?

The point was for me, that the staff has better info than all of the normal members could find. The normal members hanging out there are there for nothing, because Walt is not posting anything publically. Who knows where they come from?

No, it isn't.  You're assuming that people will go there and do no more than you have done.

It would be nice to know either way. If Walt is planning to come back with Insim, when, how, if he's planning somekind of upgrade that could disrupt it, etc. When to try again if he blocks it, and how, if Walt ever dares to post such info. I still think it's a good source of info. Also wouldn't it look a little fishy if the mods were asking asking asking for him to talk to them, and not even one shows up to read?

Maybe it would - but is announcing it publically when everybody wants to gawk helpful in any way? Particularly since everyone else cannot be trusted to act as the mods did - which varies from posting at least once, gawking, and then downloading. And Walt talked to the mods one day before this went down - he can't predict with any accuracy what's normal, particularly with the site going down all the time.

Visit Calalilysims

To Hotel - never a problem - and I knew it would be a valid thing. Kiss My love to you too - come find me one day. Cheesy
Skadi
Mushroom Girl
ARR!

Sublime Mushroom Girl

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1816 on: 2008 December 02, 00:15:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think the big thing with visiting insim is that because Pes is slurping files, the regular load of people reading and posting is enough to push it over the edge. That's why we stay away. If people weren't all over InSim, the server may not have crashed so often.

Pesky Pescado's in your garden? SublimeSims.net. Proud host to Illusions of Grandeur, Calalily Sims and Sims2Artists.
deelink
ARR!

patch it where it counts

View Profile
« Reply #1817 on: 2008 December 02, 00:18:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

To lurkers like (formally) me reading this: As long as everyone's in agreement to back-up the site, it just comes down to an issue of curiousity. It's tempting to see what Walt is saying his defense - the man is deepthroating his foot at this point. But instead of popping over there, do something else that you know is bad for you, but is hard to resist. Ruin your diet with some chocolate/meat/bread/dairy. Call back that ex you swore you'd never speak to again. Listen to some N'Sync. The easist way to resist tempation is to give in to a different one. After reading this thread, I've seen no reason to think that my patience won't be rewarded.

WIN! Although NSync? Seriously, my gag reflex is so fucking tired already! Ha. I am still not going to InSIM, because I know that the developments will be given as information to the Mods ONLY. So I'd rather hear from them, rather than waste time trawling the forum.

I think the InSIM crowd was also really defensive to Calalily when they did not need to be. She called on HYPOCRISY and the issue of said hypocrisy was buried under legislation of "WHY" and "HOW", not the actual offense of saying to some people "DO NOT" while doing the same thing. Also we are in the dark on who is the informant, and how many so called informants are out there. This feels like rope climbing in gym class (PE for us Aussies), we may get some grasps now and then, and some slip ups, but we are all headed for the end result, for Walt to DIAF and for InSIM to be resurrected and put under TRUSTED management. It's hard to cheer or boo when roles are blurred and people are constantly stepping on each others toes.

Paden does not get called out by anyone else it seems, but Calalily. And Calalily is not singling her out, Cala's axe cares not who you are, if you are underhanded, you will feel her wrath.

"It's a pity closed minds don't come with closed mouths" - Strix
SoggyFox
ARR!

Reyn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1818 on: 2008 December 02, 00:19:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't know if I could be still considered to have a concern over insim being saved, since my stuff got saved and then burned before the grand rescue of '08.  But since it was my home for a part of my time in this community, I'd like to think I do.

And I have been staying away, as asked.

However, I think the mods -do- need to check in and find out what's going on - if Walt were to give even one of them actual real admin access - they could just make a backup.  Which would make this go from highly annoying to easy.

Even 10 people isn't the weight of 300 people - and I don't think they make the current backing up as problematical.

And its PE here in the states too, or it was 20 years ago.

"Try diplomacy, you can always invade them later." Pescado
www.thestormradio.com
jssimone
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #1819 on: 2008 December 02, 00:21:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Let's just keep with the "stay off the site until the king is finished" philosophy. No confusion for the 12s. If the staff could possibly come together amongst themselves & figure out one person to keep watch for, say, a minute at a time every 2 hours & then give status updates as needed, we're gold.

Oh & I'm just a lurker with strong feelings on this subject, so feel free to cut me apart. No disrespect intended to anyone.

**I would be secretly excited to be yelled at by the pirates for being a dipshit though though.    
kenmtl
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #1820 on: 2008 December 02, 00:23:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

**I would be secretly excited to be yelled at by the pirates for being a dipshit though though.     

Dipshit!!

Now go sit down and be quiet.

I'm in ur forums propagating ur discussions
Like free shit? Me too. Get it here!
Apsalar
ARR!

Not as dangerous as I seem to be

View Profile
« Reply #1821 on: 2008 December 02, 00:23:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

In Pescado's Warplan Beige topic is specifically says: Status: DO NOT VISIT THE SITE!

That's all I know.

- Tell me Tool, what dominates your thoughts?
- I think of futility, Adjunct.
- Do all Imass think about futility?
- No, few think at all.
- Why is that?
The Imass leaned his head to one side and regarded her.
- Because, Adjunct, it is futile.
~~G
Devilfish
ARR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1822 on: 2008 December 02, 00:24:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Let's just keep with the "stay off the site until the king is finished" philosophy. No confusion for the 12s. If the staff could possibly come together amongst themselves & figure out one person to keep watch for, say, a minute at a time every 2 hours & then give status updates as needed, we're gold.

That sounds like something I can get with, at least until Warplan Beige gets updated and we get some more info from ol' grumpy.

Sorry, no kittehs for you.

Anouk
ARR!

Inactive

View Profile
« Reply #1823 on: 2008 December 02, 00:24:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Look, Paden, if one of you guys can't go to the damn staff forum for some pictures, then maybe the 250+ normal members can satisfy curiosity. Owait, they can't. Nevermind.  Wink

They'll try now that the mods can't control themselves now, won't they?

The point was for me, that the staff has better info than all of the normal members could find. The normal members hanging out there are there for nothing, because Walt is not posting anything publically. Who knows where they come from?

No, it isn't.  You're assuming that people will go there and do no more than you have done.

I don't understand exactly what you mean. The 'you' is the staff?

Anyway, the statement was sarcastic. People were happy with the info provided, but also unhappy people went to read there to aquire it. There were 250 others on the site, doing who knows what, and they had no oppertunity to share the same info, because they didn't have acces to the staff forum.
Now what I mean to say is: If you want the info in the staff forum, you're going to need the staff. There's 250 others on there who are actually unable to share this info with you, ask them instead if you're going to yell at the staf who's getting the info for you. Obviously, you won't get it.  ('You' is for those who yelled and then happily talked about the screenies.)

Quote from: Calalily
It would be nice to know either way. If Walt is planning to come back with Insim, when, how, if he's planning somekind of upgrade that could disrupt it, etc. When to try again if he blocks it, and how, if Walt ever dares to post such info. I still think it's a good source of info. Also wouldn't it look a little fishy if the mods were asking asking asking for him to talk to them, and not even one shows up to read?

Maybe it would - but is announcing it publically when everybody wants to gawk helpful in any way? Particularly since everyone else cannot be trusted to act as the mods did - which varies from posting at least once, gawking, and then downloading. And Walt talked to the mods one day before this went down - he can't predict with any accuracy what's normal, particularly with the site going down all the time.

They can't gawk in there even if they wanted to. It's the staff forum, it has access only for staff. That's why there's screenshots.

Inactive
Devilfish
ARR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1824 on: 2008 December 02, 00:26:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The screens from the staff area weren't all that exciting, to be honest. Just more of Walt's 'The future is bright!' spiel. Granted, it could have been vital information, but let's be honest, the chances of Walt posting anything besides his CEO-bullcrap are slim to none.

Anouk
ARR!

Inactive

View Profile
« Reply #1825 on: 2008 December 02, 00:27:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Who knows. I'm not going there, let admins decide what they want to do or talk it over with Pes.  Smiley

Inactive
vindi
ARR!

Nom nom nom

View Profile
« Reply #1826 on: 2008 December 02, 00:28:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think the problem is telling people that anyone is coming in. Some mods should go in, but if people see that they might think it's okay and we'll have that over 9000 idjits coming in just to gawk and some of them possibly downloading.
deelink
ARR!

patch it where it counts

View Profile
« Reply #1827 on: 2008 December 02, 00:29:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

*checks time* Holy Crap, my bus to the grocery shop is arriving shortly! I look forward to the pages upon pages when I return! Tongue
Either way, I am looking at this whole InSIM fiasco very much like this Macro

Fuck if I am going anywhere near that spider lol

Kiss  Wink

"It's a pity closed minds don't come with closed mouths" - Strix
Sigmund
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #1828 on: 2008 December 02, 00:30:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think the big thing with visiting insim is that because Pes is slurping files, the regular load of people reading and posting is enough to push it over the edge. That's why we stay away. If people weren't all over InSim, the server may not have crashed so often.

Agreed. From what little info I've gleaned on the situation, it appeared to me that while normally it would not be enough to make it crash, the constant visitors in addition to Pescado's efforts is what made it crash as much as it has. Until we hear differently, it doesn't exactly seem like the end of the world to just stay away from the site for awhile and let him do his thing, but that's just my two cents. Hopefully he's making some progress.

I sing along with elevator music.
calalily
ARR!

Belili, wife of Ningishzida - or Kali for short

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1829 on: 2008 December 02, 00:30:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oh & I'm just a lurker with strong feelings on this subject, so feel free to cut me apart. No disrespect intended to anyone.

I agree with you dipshit.  Cheesy

I don't understand exactly what you mean. The 'you' is the staff?

Yes - sorry - I'm referring to staff shouldn't assume that everyone will act in accordance with how they are act.  Should have used more informative than "you".  Kiss

Anyway, the statement was sarcastic. People were happy with the info provided, but also unhappy people went to read there to aquire it. There were 250 others on the site, doing who knows what, and they had no oppertunity to share the same info, because they didn't have acces to the staff forum.
Now what I mean to say is: If you want the info in the staff forum, you're going to need the staff. There's 250 others on there who are actually unable to share this info with you, ask them instead if you're going to yell at the staf who's getting the info for you. Obviously, you won't get it.

I wasn't sure if it was sarcastic - first I thought yes, and then no, and decided to be on the safe side and go with no. Cheesy At the time of my first post, there was the nebulous promise of going back to get actual screenshots.  So any and all yelling did not affect how much information I would receive as of the time of first yell.  

They can't gawk in there even if they wanted to. It's the staff forum, it has access only for staff. That's why there's screenshots.

Gawk at the entire site - even when told it was down for good, people kept trying to get a peek. Staff forum or not, people would look, people would stay to search. Maybe that download they were waiting for, maybe some chat with friends and people that don't know about the whole thing. It would be snowballing.

Agreed. From what little info I've gleaned on the situation, it appeared to me that while normally it would not be enough to make it crash, the constant visitors in addition to Pescado's efforts is what made it crash as much as it has. Until we hear differently, it doesn't exactly seem like the end of the world to just stay away from the site for awhile and let him do his thing, but that's just my two cents. Hopefully he's making some progress.

Agreed.

Visit Calalilysims

To Hotel - never a problem - and I knew it would be a valid thing. Kiss My love to you too - come find me one day. Cheesy
Pages: 1 ... 120 121 [122] 123 124 ... 237 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: