PMBD PMBD
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 06, 12:32:32

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
138712 Posts in 1637 Topics by 5282 Members
Latest Member: AlexanderPistoletov
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  PMBD
|-+  The Pirate Ship
| |-+  ARR!
| | |-+  Insim under new management!
0 Members and 18 Chinese Bots are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 119 120 [121] 122 123 ... 237 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Insim under new management!  (Read 913438 times)
Anouk
ARR!

Inactive

View Profile
Re: Insim under new management!
« Reply #1800 on: 2008 December 01, 23:50:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

@NOUK

And besides, some of us quite like watching people fight Smiley

Wink

Damn I forgot... hey wanna have a catfight? In chocolate dessert? In Bikini's?

Inactive
Pottymouth
Paden
ARR!

Great Cat of no mercy.

View Profile
« Reply #1801 on: 2008 December 01, 23:55:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

"Vote of confidence" was you people trusting me to get the information. The damn thing had loaded when she told me she had the screenies. When her words came up on the MSN, the screen was exited. I've explained myself.

The tea is not fit to drink; it's been stewed and is old.
Ali
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #1802 on: 2008 December 01, 23:55:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Then why are the very mods of Insim bothering to tell anyone not to go there - why not just ask them not to download - they can make stickies and everything - they're mods.  And from those screenshots, shows they were taken today, they did in fact, post there.  More than one moderator as well.  And why are they yelling about the importance of staying away, if we don't actually have to stay away?

hrmmmm ... if I'm not mistaken it was people HERE that first started yelling and creating and telling people to stay away

can we just get past this now?? We went, you shouted, we got you information and had we not done that then that would have been a reason for some bitch slapping and cat fighting also

damned if we do and damned if we don't

hmph

*passes paden some rum*
Delphy
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #1803 on: 2008 December 01, 23:57:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Then why are the very mods of Insim bothering to tell anyone not to go there - why not just ask them not to download - they can make stickies and everything - they're mods.  And from those screenshots, shows they were taken today, they did in fact, post there.  More than one moderator as well.  And why are they yelling about the importance of staying away, if we don't actually have to stay away?

Simple: They are only acting on what people *here* are saying.  Lots of people said "STAY AWAY!!!" so they did, and a lot of people didn't really think why.

As we all know, back only a few days ago, when the whole Walt thing hit, there where hundreds of people on the site without hardly any server busy messages.  It's only since all the file slurping has started happening that the server has basically melted.  So, we know that (as I have mentioned), lots of people simply *reading* can easily be handled by the server.  Additionally, lots of people reading plus a few posting and downloading, thats fine too.  Where it melts down is in people slurping everything *and* lots of people wanting to visit and post. 

I'm just saying that a few people actually reading the site and giving the people here the lowdown on whats happening really isn't going to affect the "backup" one way or another since that is in and of itself the most server-intensive task that it's doing right now. 
Devilfish
ARR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1804 on: 2008 December 01, 23:59:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Delphy, please understand that hardly anyone here has the technical know-how to deduce that. If Pescado, who apparently knows his stuff, tells us to back off and it's for the best if we stay off, we're going to take his word for it. If you come here and say the opposite, we're going to get confused.

Anouk
ARR!

Inactive

View Profile
« Reply #1805 on: 2008 December 02, 00:03:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Look, Paden, if one of you guys can't go to the damn staff forum for some pictures, then maybe the 250+ normal members can satisfy curiosity. Owait, they can't. Nevermind.  Wink

They'll try now that the mods can't control themselves now, won't they?

The point was for me, that the staff has better info than all of the normal members could find. The normal members hanging out there are there for nothing, because Walt is not posting anything publically. Who knows where they come from?

Ok Cal, can't figure out the qoute thing this quickly, but I read your post.  Wink

I think i know the answer, but let's say Walt is a dummny and will post his plans about shutting down Insim, or his anger about someone attempting to download the site, or he suddenly finds out about the plans of ripping the community out of his hands. Wouldn't a real time informant in the staff section come in handy, especially if we don't know what he might do?

What is a real time informant going to do with this information - Walt either shuts Pescado down, or he doesn't.  Either he baleets Insim altogether, or he doesn't.  Seeing as I presume Pescado has the script running automated, then what forewarning is going to make a difference?  Maybe Pescado would like a real time informant, but there were 2 separate moderators on the site at the same time - which nixed the whole idea that it would be of any benefit.  Even if that were the case, why then announce the sorries, and the fact that there was something to gawk at at all?

It would be nice to know either way. If Walt is planning to come back with Insim, when, how, if he's planning somekind of upgrade that could disrupt it, etc. When to try again if he blocks it, and how, if Walt ever dares to post such info. I still think it's a good source of info. Also wouldn't it look a little fishy if the mods were asking asking asking for him to talk to them, and not even one shows up to read?

Inactive
Delphy
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #1806 on: 2008 December 02, 00:04:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Apologies if it's confusing, but Pescado doesn't have the vBulletin knowledge that I do. I'm guessing originally he wanted people to not actually slurp *files* from the site, but it snowballed from there into "nobody visit!!".

I realise that I could have said something before but I was also under the impression that it was people deliberately backing up files from particular sections that were to be avoided - indeed, thats evidenced further back in this thread.  It's only when people jumped on an insim staff member for simply visiting that I realised that some crossed wires had happened somewhere along the line, and posted to correct that fact.

As I have said, a few people visiting and reading really wont slow things down much at all.  Yeah maybe it'll cut backup times by a few seconds but it's taking long enough anyway that I think the actual staff going and reading thier own staff forum really isn't that big a deal.
Devilfish
ARR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1807 on: 2008 December 02, 00:06:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The point was for me, that the staff has better info than all of the normal members could find. The normal members hanging out there are there for nothing, because Walt is not posting anything publically. Who knows where they come from?

I'd rather stay out of this, but I think that regardless of the fact that it would be a good idea to have one person with greater access check, it wasn't discussed or even mentioned. I think that's what certain people are having problems with.

Anouk
ARR!

Inactive

View Profile
« Reply #1808 on: 2008 December 02, 00:07:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Cheesy I can see testosterone levels skyrocketing already  Wink

Inactive
MistaEff
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #1809 on: 2008 December 02, 00:07:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

To lurkers like (formally) me reading this: As long as everyone's in agreement to back-up the site, it just comes down to an issue of curiousity. It's tempting to see what Walt is saying his defense - the man is deepthroating his foot at this point. But instead of popping over there, do something else that you know is bad for you, but is hard to resist. Ruin your diet with some chocolate/meat/bread/dairy. Call back that ex you swore you'd never speak to again. Listen to some N'Sync. The easist way to resist tempation is to give in to a different one. After reading this thread, I've seen no reason to think that my patience won't be rewarded.
Anouk
ARR!

Inactive

View Profile
« Reply #1810 on: 2008 December 02, 00:08:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'd rather stay out of this, but I think that regardless of the fact that it would be a good idea to have one person with greater access check, it wasn't discussed or even mentioned. I think that's what certain people are having problems with.
You don't have to stay out of anything, and that is correct. But, I'm trying to make a positive out of a negative Wink

Inactive
SoggyFox
ARR!

Reyn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1811 on: 2008 December 02, 00:09:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Gee - go to dinner for a housemate's birthday and folks are fighting?  Please, let's not tear each other's throats.

Let's assume, for a minute, that Delphy knows what he's talking about [ which considering MTS2 is much easier to deal with most times... ] and just reading doesn't affect bandwidth.

Now, remember back, way back, at the middle of this thread?  What Pes was actually saying was -stop burning-.  He meant stop making backups and then deleting sections.

So, obviously, its not just adults who'd be making backups and then deleting stuff - I imagine 12s are doing it too, and its not a bad idea - except that Pes is trying to make a backup, which is going to be messed up by everyone burning down their stuff before it gets backed up.

So - unless I'm completely wrong - there is nothing wrong with mods actually trying to act like business as usual - since in theory they have the sense to not be downloading.

No, come on guys - pass the rum and save the fight for our enemies.

editted to add that easier to deal with than insim.

"Try diplomacy, you can always invade them later." Pescado
www.thestormradio.com
kenmtl
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #1812 on: 2008 December 02, 00:09:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

With due respect, I can understand why the staff would need to "make an appearance". It would seen odd to Mr.Walt to have no staff on site. I'm assuming he's totally brain dead and hasn't stumbled over here yet where we have been talking in code for 4 days. However I might have kept that to myself and found way to get the information posted. Just saying "we have a source on the inside, here's what's happening" would have been sufficient given the situation. I think we would have gotten it.

I'm in ur forums propagating ur discussions
Like free shit? Me too. Get it here!
Smeagol
ARR!

Trixsy hobbitses!

View Profile
« Reply #1813 on: 2008 December 02, 00:11:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, my sis just informed me that BBS removed her post about insim issue and banned her for 4 days.  Roll Eyes

At least it was up for a couple hours.

We wants it, we needs it, must have... the booty... Precious!

"Or better yet, sell 'I survived the INSIM thanksgiving Day Massacre' tee-shirts." SoggyFox
Devilfish
ARR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1814 on: 2008 December 02, 00:12:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, my sis just informed me that BBS removed her post about insim issue and banned her for 4 days.  Roll Eyes

At least it was up for a couple hours.

I'd post a new one, I don't care if they ban my ass and fry it with onions, but I'm not sure what I should say anymore.
I'm inclined to trust Delphy on this one, but it would be nice to hear from FOJ before we open the floodgates.

Pes! Get out here! You're not sleeping are you?

Pages: 1 ... 119 120 [121] 122 123 ... 237 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: