PMBD PMBD
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 10, 12:44:19

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
138712 Posts in 1637 Topics by 5282 Members
Latest Member: AlexanderPistoletov
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  PMBD
|-+  The Pirate Ship
| |-+  ARR!
| | |-+  Maxoid Sam
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 23 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Maxoid Sam  (Read 84459 times)
Anyerfillag
ARR!

View Profile
Maxoid Sam
« Reply #255 on: 2007 October 13, 12:11:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "markusrandall"
I wouldn't have bought it or H&M knowing they had Sony created copyright programs on them...

Wait, H&M has Securom as well? I thought it was just BV?

PMBD - Its not a fake-ass glitter funfest where everyone is wonderful and luuuuved (Ashbashtus)
Paleoanth
ARR!

1337 |-|@X0r

View Profile WWW
Maxoid Sam
« Reply #256 on: 2007 October 13, 12:13:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

H & M does have it, but since you don't use that disc to play, it doesn't seem to cause the same problems.

Get my Barn set at Calalilysims

Shakeshaft is a THIEF and Thomas is pathetic.
Anyerfillag
ARR!

View Profile
Maxoid Sam
« Reply #257 on: 2007 October 13, 12:17:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That's what I thought, seeing as I never have any issues :lol: as long as it doesn't bork my laptop I'm fine Cheesy

PMBD - Its not a fake-ass glitter funfest where everyone is wonderful and luuuuved (Ashbashtus)
deathtotsr
Landlubber

View Profile
Maxoid Sam
« Reply #258 on: 2007 October 13, 22:07:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Just for your information, since my new DVD writer does work even with SecuROM installed, and my old DVD writer didn't work on here, but still works on my husband's computer, he believes that SecuROM probably reads and disables certain ROM BIOSes of certain peripheral and not the software (like Nero - as Nero is the only burning software I have so was used on both). Or certain manufacturers (like in this case, LG as it's my old LG writer that won't work here anymore) may cooperate with Sony and put a code in their ROM BIOSes that can either read or be used somehow by SecuROM and deactivates on it's own.
Markus
ARR!

View Profile
Maxoid Sam
« Reply #259 on: 2007 October 13, 22:39:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "deathtotsr"
Quote from: "markusrandall"
Wedgewood...which agency did you file the complaint with?
I'm wanting to do the same thing. My location is Western Canada(Alberta) and trying to find info online is a bit tricky as filing consumer complaints is somewhat new to me.
I'm mostly pissed because the roughly $60 dollars spent on unuseable software could have gone towards paying my student loans off.
I wouldn't have bought it or H&M knowing they had Sony created copyright programs on them. I am also completely daft when it comes to techie stuff and as mentioned earlier will probably have to go get my computer checked at some point because of this.

Here's the direct link for the Alberta one, you can still use the one I posted earlier for the Feds as well (it'll help to get as many gov't bodies on their case as possible):

http://www.servicealberta.gov.ab.ca/index.cfm?fuseaction=section:consumers

Thanks for the link Cheesy
I wonder if this problem occurred with TS1. My parents CD Burner was fine when they first got it, but around the time we bought TS1 Deluxe Edition three years ago, it started acting up. It's an LG burner too...
TonyaJP
Landlubber

View Profile
Maxoid Sam
« Reply #260 on: 2007 October 14, 02:09:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hmm, well, we only have Bon Voyage installed on two of our four computers, one of which has a multi external burrner, and both computers have Ashampoo Burning Studio 6 installed, and no probelms. My beau, BionixWV here is a pc nerd, so he's checked and rechecked and Securom hasn't been causing us any probelms, though he's waiting to see what happens when he installs it on our lone Vista desktop (the two BV desktops are XP home).
deathtotsr
Landlubber

View Profile
Maxoid Sam
« Reply #261 on: 2007 October 14, 02:55:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "TonyaJP"
Hmm, well, we only have Bon Voyage installed on two of our four computers, one of which has a multi external burrner, and both computers have Ashampoo Burning Studio 6 installed, and no probelms. My beau, BionixWV here is a pc nerd, so he's checked and rechecked and Securom hasn't been causing us any probelms, though he's waiting to see what happens when he installs it on our lone Vista desktop (the two BV desktops are XP home).

I and a few other people I know of weren't so lucky. In fact I know 3 other people personally who had precisely the same problem I'm about to describe (which is what happened to me)....

The game and all already burned CDs/DVDs reads fine no problem. However if you try to burn a data DVD, it appears that it's burning it. I mean Nero goes to the end and says it was successful and spits the disk out at the end of the session like normal. So you *think* it was successful and went alright - that is until you stick that disk back into a drive to be read (any drive even the same one that burned it) and the reader can't even find it. So everyone (me included) who had this problem thought our DVD writers malfunctioned and died and went and bought new ones.  Though I am the only person of all the people I know personally who've had this problem that has other computers available to try the old DVD writer on. We wouldn't have thought to try it had it not been for the SecuROM issue. My husband probably would've taken it apart for parts at some point, if we didn't get curious to see if it would still work but on a computer that's not affected by SecuROM.  So he put it in his computer to try it and it worked perfectly and whatever he burned on disk using it, was readable here on my machine. Yet when it was in my machine and I burned disks on it after installing H&M & BV (bought those 2 at the same time) I couldn't read it here, nor could it be read elsewhere. He basically has the same set up as me - with the same operating system and utilities etc except he doesn't have any new games (his are all antiquated and ran on 386s - but he likes them, so what can I say?) hence no weird anti-piracy protection schemes to screw his system up, so the LG DVD writer works there, but not here.
SnarkyShark
ARR!

View Profile
Maxoid Sam
« Reply #262 on: 2007 October 14, 03:09:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "TonyaJP"
My beau, BionixWV here is a pc nerd, so he's checked and rechecked and Securom hasn't been causing us any probelms, though he's waiting to see what happens when he installs it on our lone Vista desktop (the two BV desktops are XP home).

Well, I guess all I can say is congratulations.  Others do in fact, seem to be having very real problems with Securom.
Feverish
ARR!

View Profile
Maxoid Sam
« Reply #263 on: 2007 October 14, 06:11:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't understand why you'd want to install it now. I sure as heck wouldn't. I don't plan on buying it anymore. No way no how. Not even if they fix it or change it.

"Second thing: if you come out of the disabled toilet to find someone waiting on you, scream, "it's a miracle!" and dance the hell out of there."
   ~Paden
Lorelei
ARR!

I'm in UR booty, downloading UR payfiles.

View Profile WWW
Maxoid Sam
« Reply #264 on: 2007 October 14, 13:17:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have BV, but haven't bothered to install it.

The hasle of updating all my hacks and mods, dealing with SuckyROM, and hoping that NVidia Blue Screen Of Perpetual Lag problems don't resurface all combined to make installing BV a headache before I even looked at it.

Maybe I'll ARRRR! it eventually. Or wait until someone makes a SecuROM removal .exe program, like the StarForce driver remover .exe I have. I installed a Microids (RIP) game with SF on it and wasn't aware of it being there until it tried to bork my legitimate software.

Since I have little free time, dealing with copy protection programs that want to kill my laptop is not on my list of Funtime Activities. I'd rather not play any games at all than deal with that shit. It's not worth the little bit of fun the game may provide.

Stupid fuckers. Copy protection programs DO NOT WORK.

I will just not buy a game if it has CP on it and I know this in advance. Even seeking out an ARRRR! version can be a pain in the butt when you have dialup and can only ARRRR! slowly or by leaving your house to find a WiFi spot that doesn't block torrenting.

http://britpoptarts.4shared.com
Celebrity / self Sims, NortWare Begone!, Zork 1-3, variety of MP3s, MATY stuff, more.

I can haz a cult?!einz!!1

What 'gap' is?
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
ARR!

View Profile
Maxoid Sam
« Reply #265 on: 2007 October 15, 16:30:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Confirmed: Applying no-CD crack (the Fairlight one, anyways, can't speak for all others) right away and never running it from the .exe prevents SecuROM from being installed. I applied the Maxis patch, then put the crack back in, and Pescado said that was a no-no  :oops: so uninstalled and reinstalled BV. Other than losing a couple of downloads as I hadn't backed up my CC for a couple days, everything was fine and no SecuROM.

I also recently uninstalled and reinstalled Oblivion (got a conflicting Beautiful People 2.7 mod when apparently I had some other eye-affecting thing that didn't play nice and cleaning everything up would have taken hours) and can confirm that Oblivion doesn't have SecuROM, even after the latest patch (2.16?). Also can confirm that the damned thing still gives me motion sickness if I play for more than an hour. And I suck at being an archer in first-person games.

Stuff at MTS2, in my 4shared folder, and MATY/Peasantry

LiveJournal w/ story crap
LilyLocksley
ARR!

View Profile
Maxoid Sam
« Reply #266 on: 2007 October 15, 18:58:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "kariminger"
Also can confirm that the damned thing still gives me motion sickness if I play for more than an hour. And I suck at being an archer in first-person games.

Sorry to stray off topic here, but thank god I thought I was the only one! I have not been able to play most games since the Nintendo 64 because they make me so sick after about a half hour. I take crap loads of motion sickness pills before playing but it usually does not ever help.

Edited to be readable.
karu
ARR!

View Profile
Maxoid Sam
« Reply #267 on: 2007 October 15, 19:23:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

YOu might try using ginger (the spice),  either the dried powder (makes lovely tea)  or the crystalized kind.  It works better than motionsickness meds.
Renegade
ARR!

View Profile WWW
Maxoid Sam
« Reply #268 on: 2007 October 15, 20:04:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think I can confirm that using a NoCD is fine, as long as you never run the game from the original .exe or use the launcher.  My system is running fine off a Yo-ho-ho'd copy & Fairlight crack that came with the copy.  So far, so good, though I haven't scanned my system for SuckuRom or tried to use my burner.

I don't know if SuckuROM will install if you use the legit copy w/ a noCD crack.  I've heard that putting that CD into your computer triggers the SuckuRom, but who knows.  Don't take my exact words on this.

Requip
ARR!

View Profile
Maxoid Sam
« Reply #269 on: 2007 October 16, 00:08:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Found this info while cruising the BBS:

Don't know if this will help or not but found the Law firm (in SanFrancisco, CA) who handled the Sony BMG suit after Mark Rasmussen found the Sony rootkit.
See http://www.classcounsel.com/news/sonybmg_release.html
This is the part that freaked me out:
The software also secretly communicates with Sony’s servers and can be used to send information back to the users’ media player programs  :shock:  :shock:

There is information on the site for contacting if you have questions, etc. as well as info on class actions. I'm just wondering if they would be helpful as they're already familiar with Sony's stuff? It might help if someone who has already dealt with Sony were aware that they've done it again.  They didn't learn the first time. It says under the "Report A Problem" area that they respond to all communications.

Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 23 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: