PMBD PMBD
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 02, 16:33:47

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
138712 Posts in 1637 Topics by 5282 Members
Latest Member: AlexanderPistoletov
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  PMBD
|-+  The Pirate Ship
| |-+  ARR!
| | |-+  SFV
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 34 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: SFV  (Read 154539 times)
rds
Landlubber

View Profile
Re: SFV
« Reply #390 on: 2008 March 17, 04:32:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Alright, so you all still have questions, I understand that.  However, I will not answer questions that have already been answered.  I cannot find a nice way to say this, but as far as the whole argument that Pes hosting or a free forum is the way to go, you really are wasting your breath and it's a debate that I've been through several times before.  You can guess what happened at the end of that.  Someone said that SIH is paying for a server that doesn't work, but this forum works great.  The point I make again, stooop saying we should let Pes host or go to a free server.  The answer is NO.

The reason why I haven't thrown out an amount is honestly I don't know.  I have an estimate.  I do not have access to the forum's billing, I do know the monthly bill but why should I announce it here?  And I have been telling the people who have PMed me or emailed me, again I throw it out RDSatSFV@gmail.com.  In my opinion those are the people who need to know. 

If you start up a free forum, please don't use the name SFV.  That will end up being confusing in the end, and SIH will get the forum back up and running!  I find it is also disrepectful to use that name as another non-affiliated forum.

Ry, that's a great idea.  E-mail me with your and whoever else's questions, I will try to get it back to you next time I talk to SIH.

I'm going to be signing out of here.  My intention is to FINALLY get the ball rolling to try to get the forum back up and running.  It was completely my idea to do the pledge, and I have been hopelessly bugging (and yes I do mean really BUGGING) SIH every time I talk to her about the forum and about the status of it.  So, this is my attempt.  I know that PMBD isn't a place for warm squishy hugs but I thought it harmless to just come here and update SFV members.  I like you guys.  I don't like how you guys handle situations you with which you disagree or don't understand.

To SFV members, I will no longer be updating here at PMBD.  Feel free to contact me via email and I will answer your questions the best of my ability as I have here. 
Ferris
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #391 on: 2008 March 17, 08:32:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If you start up a free forum, please don't use the name SFV.  That will end up being confusing in the end, and SIH will get the forum back up and running!  I find it is also disrepectful to use that name as another non-affiliated forum.

I didn't mean to be disrespectful, I just couldn't think about a better name I'm sorry.
It doesn't have another affiliate forum "SMF" stands for "Simple Machines Forum", that's it.
Also I think I made it clear that it will only be a temporary forum, i'll take it offline as soon as SFV's back, and I think the users know that as well.
I also want the real SFV back just as everyone else who has been lurking here.
Charlotte
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #392 on: 2008 March 17, 09:14:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Don't worry about it Ferris, this is starting to get silly Roll Eyes

Requip
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #393 on: 2008 March 17, 09:26:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks, rds.  Grin

Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?
ws-jessica
ARR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #394 on: 2008 March 17, 10:16:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

warning: my post may piss off some "loyal" sfv members, but I too was an active sfv member so I have a right to say something.

this is the stupidest thing ive ever heard and anyone who falls for it is a dumbass....doesnt this sound like the exact same bullshit that paysite owners (and other shady site owners) have pulled time and time again?
and this whole attitude of "fuck you guys, you dont need to know because youre telling me im wrong and not buying what im saying to you" thing is more bullshit.

If you need help, you have to accept ALL kinds of help, not just money.

I'm glad you finally answered the question--its the expensive bloated forum software causing the problem and thats what she needs money for. You can think you're right all you want, but many people have proven you wrong--you can host a large site (especially one that doesnt really use attachments like SFV) with tons of people spamming constantly, for cheap or free. You guys have a grudge against pescado--fine. But you shouldnt be punishing your visitors for something so trivial and childish.

SFV could be back up already and back to "normal" but you guys are dragging ass and being difficult and you dont need to be. So although I told people I'd try to help, I'm not going to bother anymore since all you guys want is money and nothing else it seems.

This whole thing reeks of bullshit and scam.

btw where are sherry/pas/anyone else who was in charge over at SFV? why is only RDS posting over here? doesnt that seem odd to anyone else? and why is SIH not disabling the forum and putting up a webpage explaining what the problem is so people can help her out like she has before?
« Last Edit: 2008 March 17, 10:32:10 by ws-jessica » Logged
eph
Landlubber

View Profile WWW
« Reply #395 on: 2008 March 17, 10:33:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I was only a member at SFV for two days and had no clue how it really worked yet. But I will rather pass on those few Sims1 files I yearned for or even pay for those still available at paysites than spending money on an overinflated forum software.  Undecided
I use SMF for years now without any problem and see no reason why it shouldn't be good enough for them.
In the only thread I checked at SFV all links were broken because the files were already deleted from the free hosts. It would have been so perfect to have a forum on Pescado's server with attachments.
Pescado
Pirate King

View Profile
« Reply #396 on: 2008 March 17, 10:41:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I talked to SIH and she has okayed that I start accepting donations in order to get the forum back up and running.  Yes, the reason that it is down is completely monetary.  We stopped taking donations in the past because Paypal is a horrible company and because of Thomas's finger pointing and false accusations Paypal STILL has the donated money from over a year ago.  Must be great to be a company that can steal money from people and get away with it huh??
Paypal is run by thieves, yes. But seeing as all you have is a forum, technically, I could get that back up and running anywhere within an hour, without money involved. Any forum software of your choice could be deployed. There's no reason a forum like that should cost more than about $100 a year, tops, if you decide to strike out on your own. Don't overpurchase, and DON'T BUY WINDOZE.

I can set you up here in Malaysia, too. I ask for only the low, low price of YOUR SOUL, MORTAL.

Give a man a fire, and you warm him for a day. Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
Anouk
ARR!

Inactive

View Profile
« Reply #397 on: 2008 March 17, 11:16:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Alright, so you all still have questions, I understand that.  However, I will not answer questions that have already been answered.  I cannot find a nice way to say this, but as far as the whole argument that Pes hosting or a free forum is the way to go, you really are wasting your breath and it's a debate that I've been through several times before.  You can guess what happened at the end of that.  Someone said that SIH is paying for a server that doesn't work, but this forum works great.  The point I make again, stooop saying we should let Pes host or go to a free server.  The answer is NO.
Oh, I WILL not find a nice way to say this.
STOOOOP expecting people to pay for your arrogant ways, and if they don't want to do it, guiltripping them, like you did poor Ferris, or telling them they 'simply don't understand'. Ferris actually offered a better solution than you were ever willing to. You should be ashamed of how you treated your members.
If you have time to tell people to STFU and give you money and NOT insult SFV for trying to bring a community back together, you have time to make your own damn temporary forum for your members.
You are NOT willing to find any solution, you are ONLY willing to make others pay for YOUR bad choices and being a complete arrogant bastard about it if they have their reservations about it. Basically, all you have been doing is disrespecting people ("Oh, you don't understand, you don't need to know, I don't like how you handle things, now please shut up about it") and expecting them to give you money without proper information. Even your loyal members. If you didn't think people would notice, you are full of it. Consider any support from my side gone forever.

Sorry to see SIH has only you to speak for her. You are looking more and more like a scam artist.
« Last Edit: 2008 March 17, 11:23:21 by Anouk » Logged

Inactive
Gelbarc
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #398 on: 2008 March 17, 12:42:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

To hell with being nice!

First, I don't think SIH knows that I'm here at all.  I came here because I know a lot of SFV members are also here and I can effectively update them on what I know.  It's not that she doesn't come on here because she doesn't like it here, it's just that she doesn't have the time right now.

So, the very second I talked to SIH and found out I could ask for donations I got on here and am now asking for help.  Thus, you didn't need to know because there was nothing to report.
I did, btw, tell a few SFV members via PM why the forum was not up.  I appreciate them and the fact that they did not tell others before I was completely ready to explain the situation.  I would not leave our members in the dark, please realize this.

How is it that you're refusing to answer questions but you can ask for money on SIH's behalf?  Now you're not going to answer questions that have already been answered? Why? You expect people to come out of their pockets and just GIVE it to you? You have to be out of your mind! First she doesn't know you're here, then she does. Which one is it? You tell some members some of the truth but don't tell the rest? WTF?

We have been approached with the idea to let Pes host us.  When we had the with the old server, that was everyone's solution.  It won't work , or, we aren't willing to do that.

There have be several offers and suggestions to SFV's problems but you/she flat out refuses them.  If I were a member I'd seriously have a problem with that.

I do know the monthly bill but why should I announce it here?

Ummm...because you came here to ask for money....no donations. Roll Eyes

And I have been telling the people who have PMed me or emailed me, again I throw it out RDSatSFV@gmail.com.  In my opinion those are the people who need to know. 

"Need to know". See, that's a big problem. SFV members needed to know 2 months ago what was going on.

If you start up a free forum, please don't use the name SFV.  That will end up being confusing in the end, and SIH will get the forum back up and running!  I find it is also disrepectful to use that name as another non-affiliated forum.

A few years back with the site went down some of the mods and members started up an temp site using the SFV name with no problem. The members found it and joined, hung out and shared files until the SFV reopened. Nobody, including the other founders or SIH found it disrespectful or had a problem with the SFV name being used. In fact they were all quite happy to have a place where the members could congregate. I know because I was there. (Qubeez-former founder since summer of 2000)

I'm going to be signing out of here.  My intention is to FINALLY get the ball rolling to try to get the forum back up and running.  It was completely my idea to do the pledge, and I have been hopelessly bugging (and yes I do mean really BUGGING) SIH every time I talk to her about the forum and about the status of it.  So, this is my attempt. 

You're doing this all on your own. What happened to Sherry and Pas? They practically ran SFV for the last 3 years. You were made a moderator last Jul/Aug and now you alone are running the show?

And wait a second!
I DO have an update, but it's not what I would like but it's pretty necessary that I get this out...

I talked to SIH and she has okayed that I start accepting donations in order to get the forum back up and running.  Yes, the reason that it is down is completely monetary.  We stopped taking donations in the past because Paypal is a horrible company and because of Thomas's finger pointing and false accusations Paypal STILL has the donated money from over a year ago.  Must be great to be a company that can steal money from people and get away with it huh??

Ok, first it was SIH's idea about donations but now it's soley yours? Are you all confused yet? Undecided

If it doesn't seem right, if you think this is shady, I understand and I am not asking that you pledge/donate.

There ya go!!!

I know that PMBD isn't a place for warm squishy hugs but I thought it harmless to just come here and update SFV members.  I like you guys.  I don't like how you guys handle situations you with which you disagree or don't understand.

I like it here. They're brutally honest unlike "warm squishy hugs".

To the SFV members that are here, I suggest you think long and hard before coming out of your pockets. I've been around since Sims1 and have seen my share of scams.

SIH is going through whatever she's going thru and her priority is her real life right now. I can understand that. It happens to all of us. BUT if I ran a popular forum for many years that had loyal and devoted members I know I would take a few moments out of my day and show them some sort of consideration and respect by dropping in and telling them something.

In the past when the server went down SIH threw up a web page in minutes to let the members know what was going on and how to keep in touch. She knows some of her mods and members are here. She should be here with some sort of explanation. If she can talk to Rds on yahoo what's a few clicks to get here?

SFV is a great forum for files and hanging out just like this forum. It's been offered a life saver and it looks to me like the owner would rather let it sink.

The fish rots from the head down.
Anouk
ARR!

Inactive

View Profile
« Reply #399 on: 2008 March 17, 13:05:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

pwned

Inactive
Pescado
Pirate King

View Profile
« Reply #400 on: 2008 March 17, 13:18:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This whole thing reeks of bullshit and scam.
I wouldn't quite say *SCAM*, but the fact of the matter is, SFV has consistently mismanaged its resources. And yes, Paypal is a bunch of bandits and thieves. We've had problems with them also, but were able to retrieve the funds after about a year.

But mostly, SFV has consistently mismanaged its resources and purchased things it simply does not need or things which are utterly useless, and then run into problems. For instance, I heard you purchased a *WINDOZE* server. This alone assured that you wouldn't be able to do jack shit with it, because effective use of Windoze would require someone to actually physically go to the system and operate it! Windoze is not for servers. Period.

Naturally, no one there knows how to actually operate a server, hence why things crash and die without warning. Like I said: You can set yourself up on any one of available free or low-cost webhosting options, given that you host no files anyway, or you can move to Malaysia, or whatever. I don't care. Alternatively, you can just continue to leave the area unfilled, and if it becomes demanded enough, I'll just open a file exchange block here, thus resolving the debate. I haven't done it because A: You already did, and B: it'd be extra work I don't need, but since if you don't care to do it anymore, I'm sure I can streamline the process quite nicely.

And, you know, we could MAKE a WCIF section, if we really wanted it. And it would have rum and cats.
« Last Edit: 2008 March 17, 13:30:09 by Pescado » Logged

Give a man a fire, and you warm him for a day. Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
deelink
ARR!

patch it where it counts

View Profile
« Reply #401 on: 2008 March 17, 14:23:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

A WCIF section?
And... we can use it for our own evil purposes?.... *rubs fingertips together*
Yess... excellent..

I mean.. *cough* I wouldn't object to the idea
Since everyone starts a damn thread about WCIF anyways Tongue

"It's a pity closed minds don't come with closed mouths" - Strix
chemistrycourtney
Pirate

Perhaps I have.... a concordance!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #402 on: 2008 March 17, 14:29:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Pescado's level of smart will always amaze (and disturb) me. 

I don't understand how anyone could feel good representing a forum with that kind of attitude rds.  Ever since the site went down I've heard about how great that site is and how everyone misses it, the talking, the people, the filesharing. 

As the only rep for SFV that I see, I can't figure out what everyone misses so much.  Shoot.  You can stay here to get spoken to like a 12 year old child.  Hell, Pescado will do it for free, even! 

Playing in the GIMP is my favorite thing.
calalily
ARR!

Belili, wife of Ningishzida - or Kali for short

View Profile WWW
« Reply #403 on: 2008 March 17, 14:58:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That would be a kind of excellent idea Pescado.  deelink is right - we already get them - if we have a section we don't ever, ever have to look at it if we don't want. 

And bonus is, it would officially make you MISCREANT NUMBER ONE in the sims community.  You would be the "total bastard package" to all.  Cheesy

Visit Calalilysims

To Hotel - never a problem - and I knew it would be a valid thing. Kiss My love to you too - come find me one day. Cheesy
sleegee
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #404 on: 2008 March 17, 15:03:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Since I've joined this board, one of the many things I've read about is SFV.  And since it went down right after I joined this board, I haven't had the chance to check it out.

Frankly, after reading all the reasons why it's not coming back and what the members aren't doing to get it back up, I honestly don't care to know anymore.  No offense to those that are loyal to it, I just have no idea what I'm missing.

I like it here.  Yeah, you aren't "warm and squishy" but the level of intelligent conversation here is far superior to any other board I belong to.  Not to mention, all the regular members keep me laughing with the wit.

I know I'll personally enjoy reading the WCIF section, just because I know it'll be like leading a noob to the slaughter.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 34 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: