PMBD PMBD
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 05, 00:05:04

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
138712 Posts in 1637 Topics by 5282 Members
Latest Member: AlexanderPistoletov
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  PMBD
|-+  The Pirate Ship
| |-+  ARR!
| | |-+  Insim under new management!
0 Members and 7 Chinese Bots are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] 101 102 ... 237 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Insim under new management!  (Read 912609 times)
cheekylilgirl
ARR!

View Profile
Re: Insim under new management!
« Reply #1485 on: 2008 December 01, 03:59:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I am not comfortable with Destroying anything except a paysite.  I voted No.

Let him have what is left of the site, I plan to remove my creations if I can.  If can not then that's my bad luck.
 I still think it feels wrong,despite the reasons for it, to burn the site.

“Life's pretty good, and why wouldn't it be? I'm a pirate, after all.”
Sherry
ARR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1486 on: 2008 December 01, 04:00:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I agree with Nouk.  There is a right way to leave things and there is a wrong way.  I am not so sure that old Walt is fixing shut down insim any time soon.  So I think there will be time for those who want to download, and for those who want to delete their own things.   It may not be as easy as cloning a site, but sometimes a clean slate is nice too.  I am sure there are good intentions, but I still don't we should do the wrong thing, even if it's for the right reasons... well at least not over Walt.  

Immolation is the sincerest form of flattery -- Crow
SoggyFox
ARR!

Reyn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1487 on: 2008 December 01, 04:02:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yes, and Pes' request for people to pillage first, then burn was in response to people nuking their individual sections or posts - and slowing down a pillage of the whole site.

I don't think  anyone wants the site to actually be more -than- a husk.  The burning is more in-character - or so it seems to me.  I could be misreading it, but that's how its coming across to me.

"Try diplomacy, you can always invade them later." Pescado
www.thestormradio.com
emosceneskater
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #1488 on: 2008 December 01, 04:03:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I know the RPGs aren't a huge thing but I know quite a few people actually play on it and I know one person whose life revolves around it. not me. Although I may sound really obsessed with it but you can't really redo a RPG. Role plays are like stories but its a bit hard to just start over from where you stopped or something. But I'll say this I hope the site survives and I don't think its a good idea to burn the site. Not for the sake of the RPGs, but because like cheekylilgirl said, I'm not comfortable burning a site except paysites.
Saraswati
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #1489 on: 2008 December 01, 04:04:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hi Guys

I vote don't burn.. what's wrong with grabbing what people have been able to grab and just restarting the site from scratch without the bloody Zwinkies and the impossible to find anything structure? It can be a team project of the old Insim staff to get in there and reupload the data and files. It would probably be a quicker endevour than sorting through a mess.

Kath

My home sites are  http://www.sublimesims.net/ and
Reclaim Your Game http://reclaimyourgame.com/
Henbane
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #1490 on: 2008 December 01, 04:11:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Gabby Johnson is right!

Seriously, burninating the site is beneath us. Disabling it a little? I need to think on that some, it makes me wince; however, speaking from my darker side, it also puts a gleam in my eye.

I voted not to burninate, before my darker side takes over.

(Edited for a typo and to add something).

Sherry
ARR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1491 on: 2008 December 01, 04:12:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I know the RPGs aren't a huge thing but I know quite a few people actually play on it and I know one person whose life revolves around it. not me. Although I may sound really obsessed with it but you can't really redo a RPG. Role plays are like stories but its a bit hard to just start over from where you stopped or something. .

No offense to your friend, they need to step back a bit if something like that is so important.  I knew someone who lost a job over WOW.

Plus, you could say that about conversations and memories tied to certain thread, posts and activities too. There are memories and emotions you can just never redo.  As a mod who watched a site go down probably a half dozen times, you learn that in the grand scheme of things it's not that big a deal.  You start over and make new.  Unfortunately with these situations nothing is ideal, you have to do the best you can.  

Immolation is the sincerest form of flattery -- Crow
neriana
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #1492 on: 2008 December 01, 04:12:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I know the RPGs aren't a huge thing but I know quite a few people actually play on it and I know one person whose life revolves around it. not me. Although I may sound really obsessed with it but you can't really redo a RPG. Role plays are like stories but its a bit hard to just start over from where you stopped or something. But I'll say this I hope the site survives and I don't think its a good idea to burn the site. Not for the sake of the RPGs, but because like cheekylilgirl said, I'm not comfortable burning a site except paysites.

Then you ditch the old one and start a new one. I know, I've played lots of rpgs. And if someone's life revolves around it, that's even more reason to step away from it and realize it's just a game. There are other stories to be told. If you must, you can even take your old character into the new story, though making up different characters is a large part of what makes roleplaying fun in the first place.

The old insim is dead. This is a chance for people to start a new site, without dishonest, overly controlling people owning it.

kenmtl
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #1493 on: 2008 December 01, 04:12:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Can we vote on Peggy next?

I'm in ur forums propagating ur discussions
Like free shit? Me too. Get it here!
heartless
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #1494 on: 2008 December 01, 04:13:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

In my humble opinion, burning it immediately would be a little hasty. Disabling it in order to save what needs to be saved? Eh, the site would survive.
However, if Walt tries to sell others' creations...
SoggyFox
ARR!

Reyn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1495 on: 2008 December 01, 04:14:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't know -  a part of me does hope maybe the Animal Army can get back to work, and maybe have the old threads restored - alot of them actually had real information in them - we kept all the social spam to one thread.

"Try diplomacy, you can always invade them later." Pescado
www.thestormradio.com
BoogerNabbingCrust
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #1496 on: 2008 December 01, 04:18:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The goal is good, but the method is wrong. If you can;t find another way, at least you can say you didn't resort to damaging someone's property, even though it's temporarily.
Say, wasn't my site only DDossed temporarily? And this site? Gee.

Yes it was, i could not access it for awhile. Ofcourse this could be a big prank, pulled by Rohina as a joke. She's been feisty and doing impersonations lately. Tongue
darknessfalls
Landlubber

You Make This All Go Away

View Profile
« Reply #1497 on: 2008 December 01, 04:23:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Of course... if Pes has access to the database.. as in can get inside it (using the password in one of the config files most likely) then he could manipulate the information in the tables and disable the board simply by changing the 1/0 in the "board online/offline" table.... or changing mod permissions... or even the master Admin password.....

But only if he can remotely access the database as far as I know.

It's not particularly moral, but it's not destroying another site either.
YARRcat
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #1498 on: 2008 December 01, 04:43:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have the conch shell!  You must listen to me!

Long time lurker drawn out of hiding (like many it seems).  I have a thought; let me share it with you.

We are all operating under the assumption that another TSR is a bad thing.  What if it's not?

I know, I know.  Stop throwing those damn bottles of rum at me.  One of the reasons Thomas can do what he does is the constant influx of 12s and the fact that he has no competition.  12s sign up for T$R with mommy's credit card and suddenly they feel IMPORTANT.  They upload a crappy floodfill dress and get comments like, "Why that's the best thing I've ever seen!"  They join in the stupid kudos program and get instant bragging rights.  They wave their stupidity about like a flag and get praised for it.  And no matter how much Thomas charges, they keep coming, because no other forums will have them.  They've bought their acceptance, and are pleased.

Well, what if there was another place for them? 

What if we let Walt create his vision of InSim, and subtly throw out links to it whenever a 12 approaches our other beloved forums?  The mods who liked the 12s can stay on at InSim, and those who didn't can move over to the Oasis, or wherever it is the InSimmers end up going.  What if we help Walt re-create InSim as a haven for 12s...and the laughing stock of the rest of the Sims Community?  What if a 12s-centered InSim can help to destroy T$R? 

That's my kind of vengence.
Scotty
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #1499 on: 2008 December 01, 04:44:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I hope it burns in hell.

Inge: Shut your Piehole.
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] 101 102 ... 237 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: