PMBD PMBD
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 10, 17:23:03

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
138712 Posts in 1637 Topics by 5282 Members
Latest Member: AlexanderPistoletov
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  PMBD
|-+  The Pirate Ship
| |-+  ARR!
| | |-+  Would Anyone Care to Chime In?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Would Anyone Care to Chime In?  (Read 39618 times)
Randomness
ARR!

View Profile
Would Anyone Care to Chime In?
« Reply #90 on: 2006 November 28, 03:23:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hmmm, does anyone happen to have a link to wherever it's stated that people are allowed to charge users only a minimal amount to cover bandwidth usage only in EA's EULA? I can't seem to locate that proviso anywhere.
seapup
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: 2006 November 28, 03:51:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

"You may include materials created with the Tools & Materials on your personal noncommercial website for the noncommercial benefit of the fan community for EA's products, provided this is beneficial to the product(s) in EA's judgment, and provided that if you do so, you must also post the following notice on your site on the same web page(s) where those materials are located: "This site is not endorsed by or affiliated with Electronic Arts, or its licensors. Trademarks are the property of their respective owners. Game content and materials copyright Electronic Arts Inc. and its licensors. All Rights Reserved." You will not represent that your site is endorsed or approved by or affiliated with EA or our licensors or that any other content on your site is endorsed or approved by or affiliated with EA or our licensors."

Hmmm I think you're right. I don't see where it says you can charge anything at all, let alone turn it into a business.
jesserocket
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: 2006 November 28, 03:53:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

There's another one somewhere, I think it came with Homecrafter, I believe it says something about being allowed to charge for site upkeep....possibly. I may be mistook...

arr Harr Fiddledeedee,
Being a Pirate is alright with me!
Do what you want cos a Pirate is free!
YOU ARE A PIRATE!
Kaibon
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: 2006 November 28, 04:11:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "FatedCircle"
Heh...speaking of boolprop.com...

They've recently started turning to their flock of mostly teenaged members for donations to cover their $200 per month hosting fees.  Yes...I said per month.  I'm thinking $200 a month would get me a decent car, not to mention I don't like the thought of exploiting the naivety of teenaged kids.  Do I think they're being ripped off?  Hell yes.  Don't try to tell them that though, they'll defend their ways until they're blue in the face.  Precious group, ain't they?

Well I already mentioned it on Boolprop but since Denimjo thinks its in bad taste I will say it here aswell =]

Boolprop is not exploiting niave teenage members, if you check the trophy list you will see that only one member that has donated was a teen(that person being NovaMiniMan)..of course you would have no way of knowing that without knowing the members of the site though  :wink:
Randomness
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: 2006 November 28, 04:14:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

What I said was in bad taste was your "quoting" someone that made comments on a forum that cannot be linked to, thus things like 'context' and 'exact wording' (and even 'person who actually said it') cannot be verified by anyone else (save for those that find their way here, of course).
Bitsy
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: 2006 November 28, 04:15:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Denimjo"
Quote from: "rubbersushi"
And it's not the big words really, although they are large and fearful. It's more... I dunno, there seems to be a certain air of... What's the word? Shocked It's times like these I wish my mother didn't do drugs when she was pregnant with me. UmmUmmUmm! You know, that thing that you give off. Makes people angry at you. Anyway, I'm not the only one feeling it so it's not just me.

Denim, do you know the word I'm talking about? My point is kind of ruined if I can't remember what I was going to say. Do you think if I squint really hard it'll come to me? :x

Snobbishness? Elitism? Better-than-thouism? I don't agree with the sentiment, but I'm just suggesting words that might mean what you're thinking.

I was thinking "vibe". Which goes along with what I said earlier.
Marhis
ARR!

This Space For Rent

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: 2006 November 28, 04:16:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Just a thought about the use of "big" words; english is not my first language, I'm not able to speak nor write it very well, but I noticed that I tend to use often "big" or "difficult" words because they're more similar to corresponding "normal" terms in my language.
For example, almost all the terms listed by Denimjo in this post as being difficult are understood by me at first sight, being them the exact transposition of the corresponding italian usual terms (i.e. prerogative = prerogativa, negate = negare, incentive = incentivo, phenomenon = fenomeno, and so on).
Maybe, it's all about the latin origin of our language, and it also would explain why for me it's often easier to read something wrotten in english by e.g. a german person rather than an english one.

THE FUTURE OF THIS SIGNATURE IS BRIGHT
BlueSoup
Fat Head
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: 2006 November 28, 04:16:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

$200 a month is highway robbery!

I use GoDaddy for my hosting, and it costs $40/year for 250gb of bandwidth per month.

They want a dedicated server?  Go them.  But they should not be asking for donations for something that is entirely optional.  For christsake, aren't they only a forum?
Randomness
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: 2006 November 28, 04:18:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Marhis"
Just a thought about the use of "big" words; english is not my first language, I'm not able to speak nor write it very well, but I noticed that I tend to use often "big" or "difficult" words because they're more similar to corresponding "normal" terms in my language.
For example, almost all the terms listed by Denimjo in this post as being difficult are understood by me at first sight, being them the exact transposition of the corresponding italian usual terms.

See, now there's the problem with people accusing others of using 'big words.' If you define a word that everyone knew the meaning of, they'll think you're trying to make them look stupid for thinking they didn't know that word.
Kaibon
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: 2006 November 28, 04:18:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Denimjo"
What I said was in bad taste was your "quoting" someone that made comments on a forum that cannot be linked to, thus things like 'context' and 'exact wording' (and even 'person who actually said it') cannot be verified by anyone else (save for those that find their way here, of course).

lol most of the members(or at least the ones in the debate thread) are lurking here/are members =] but yeah I can see what you mean. I'm just a lazy bum and didnt feel like bringing up the browser to do it here too xD

Quote from: "BlueSoup"
For christsake, aren't they only a forum?

Actually they are a forum, a dowload site, have their own magazine, and also host a member run graphics site.
Ensign EO
ARR!

Not a cash cow.

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: 2006 November 28, 04:25:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Marhis"
Maybe, it's all about the latin origin of our language, and it also would explain why for me it's often easier to read something wrotten in english by e.g. a german person rather than an english one.

Latin is awesome.  Shocked  It's my easiest class, despite the overwhelming number of freshmen that seem to have difficulty grasping some of the content.  Everyone should take Latin for at least a year, some time in their public education.  Easy peasy stuff, and it does help majorly with the vocabulary.

So now they can't really argue that all ESL people are stupid when it comes to English, when lingual roots are taken into consideration.
FatedCircle
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: 2006 November 28, 04:32:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Kaibon"
Heh...speaking of boolprop.com...

They've recently started turning to their flock of mostly teenaged members for donations to cover their $200 per month hosting fees.  Yes...I said per month.  I'm thinking $200 a month would get me a decent car, not to mention I don't like the thought of exploiting the naivety of teenaged kids.  Do I think they're being ripped off?  Hell yes.  Don't try to tell them that though, they'll defend their ways until they're blue in the face.  Precious group, ain't they?

Well I already mentioned it on Boolprop but since Denimjo thinks its in bad taste I will say it here aswell =]

Boolprop is not exploiting niave teenage members, if you check the trophy list you will see that only one member that has donated was a teen(that person being NovaMiniMan)..of course you would have no way of knowing that without knowing the members of the site though  :wink:

I apologize for making it sound as though I thought anyone was taking advantage of anyone else, as I don't think it intentional.  But the fact remains, you guys are being ripped off, whether you want to admit it or not.  I'm sure whatever plan you have works for you, and I don't fault people for wanting to donate to a site they like and appreciate.  But at the same time, I think the site owners could be saving a lot of money, and not have the need to ask for donations, or charge for certain download sets, like they do now.  But whatever, it's their life.  If they want to spend that kind of money to upkeep an internet site, then that's their business, I suppose.
Pescado
Pirate King

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: 2006 November 28, 06:06:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

WTF? $200 a month? For THAT? What the hell? How the hell does that shitty excuse for a site run $200 a month? You know how much shit I could get for $200 a month? That site's membership and size level looks roughly comparable to MATY, which means the cheapest plan. That's *$5* a month. Where the hell do they get a figure 40x that? Either they're being ripped off outrageously, or that site is a scam and grossly exaggerates its costs to solicit their "donations". Either way, something stinks.

Give a man a fire, and you warm him for a day. Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
lemmiwinks
ARR!

Swashbuckler

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: 2006 November 28, 06:25:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

From what I have gathered, J.M. Pescado's total outlay is $13 a month for 2 popular websites. One just hit 3 TB in transfer overhead. Why does a silly little MS Paint powered recolor site need more money than that?

Don't forget to use the "Thanks" button!
Lauren
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: 2006 November 28, 11:23:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I started debating on the 'net at 15 (in Dawsons Creek, heh) and it was the best way for me to learn. If you're surrounded by rainbows and sparkly shit its an even bigger shock when you go to a forum and are ripped apart. The debate that's on Boolprop was simillar to the debate I faced against the other adults and I never had an issue keeping up with them.

I think assuming the younger kids can't debate is quite insulting to them.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: