PMBD PMBD
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 17, 19:06:27

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
138712 Posts in 1637 Topics by 5282 Members
Latest Member: AlexanderPistoletov
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  PMBD
|-+  The Pirate Ship
| |-+  ARR!
| | |-+  Maxoid Sam
0 Members and 3 Chinese Bots are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Maxoid Sam  (Read 84609 times)
Requip
ARR!

View Profile
Maxoid Sam
« Reply #285 on: 2007 October 16, 21:26:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

They are still claiming that SecuROM is nothing but copy protection and will never admit otherwise until the FTC or someone makes them responsible.

Still can't get answers and still getting canned responses.   :evil:

Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?
TheFattyPantsKittyBuns
Landlubber

View Profile
Maxoid Sam
« Reply #286 on: 2007 October 18, 21:10:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "CaptainPirateNinja"
The thing is, my azureus hasn't been working properly for a while now. I open it and it just closes. Maybe this is why?

Have you tried using uTorrent? I've never had anything but problems with Azureus mainly because it's Java based and takes up more space than you would expect from a program like that.

I was personally turned into an Yo Ho Ho 'er after University. I haven't once had issues once with TS2 and SecuROM or anything of the like, aside from my little scuffle with BioShock.

For the many of you out there that have fears of torrenting or Yo Ho Ho 'ing in general. The lady that went to trial with the RIAA was using LIMEWIRE. Limewire is not and never will be your friend. Make sure 'if' you are torrenting it is from a friendly and credible site usually complete with forums. (IsoHunt, Demonoid are my main sources although the latter is member only. IsoHunt usually has uploads of Demonoid files though!) Make sure that the file you are interested seems to be of an accurate size. NEVER and I mean never Yo Ho Ho rar or zip files of anything if you know it contains multiple files this is the easiest way to get a corrupt file and "fuxx up yo shite" (This excludes TS2 Yo Ho Ho 'ed content, that is a whole other story).

If you are smart and logical about your Yo Ho Ho 'ing you will never, if ever rarely, have any issues with any files.

Awesomely Fluffy,
~ Kitty Buns
Corrupting the world since 1988.
Requip
ARR!

View Profile
Maxoid Sam
« Reply #287 on: 2007 October 19, 15:26:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

They've removed most of the stickes at the BBS (cuz it was all bullshit)  :roll: and the latest from Maxoid Sam is that SafeDisk is exactly the same as SecuROM in that it leaves behind registry keys when you uninstall.

Claims people posted problems with SafeDisk at the beginning also? I don't remember a single post?  :shock: Course I didn't check the BBS back then but does anyone remember anything like that? Or is he blowing smoke up everyone's ass as usual?  Cheesy

Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?
Micavaga
ARR!

View Profile
Maxoid Sam
« Reply #288 on: 2007 October 19, 15:41:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think he's blowing smoke because I don't remember anything like that.  If SecuROM is exactly the same as SafeDisk, why did they stop using SafeDisk?  And if there was issues with SafeDisk in the past, why did he just post about this now, over a month after the shit hit the fan?

Even if programs I've uninstalled in the past left garbage in the registry, I've never, ever had to download a separate program to remove the crap.  Now, for a trojan, virus or a worm, yes, and that's exactly what you have to do get Sony's shit off the computer.  And never, ever have I had a registry folder that I couldn't open and see the contents.  Never.

he FAQ is your life preserver on this pirate ship.  May I suggest that you cling to it for dear life?
Ry
ARR!

Paden's Baked Tater

View Profile WWW
Maxoid Sam
« Reply #289 on: 2007 October 19, 16:44:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I just think it's bullshit they allowed it on there anyways.
Do they really think ANY copyright protection is going to stop people from re-creating the disks anyways?
There are ALWAYS ways around that stuff.

I'm super dissapointed in EA.
I've never seen a company more or less tell people DEAL like they have. It's sad that they care so much about their fan base that sneak shit in without prior announcements or whatever.
I won't buy anything else from them if they don't knock off the supah sekrit installs.

I'm enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination.
Imagination is more important than knowledge.
Knowledge is limited.
Imagination encircles the world.
~Einstein
Sherry
ARR!

View Profile WWW
Maxoid Sam
« Reply #290 on: 2007 October 19, 19:12:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Err ok, I hope I don't get alot of flack from this and I'll apologize in advance to those of you who know completely what is going on.  I have been gone from the community for a couple of months now (family issues and then my 12 year old kitty died) so I am kind of behind on this whole BV thing and I am not sure I grasp entirely just WTF is the problem with it, though it seems rather serious and frustrating.

I started reading through the first three pages and felt that even then I already stepped into the conversation too late, so if someone can sum up just what is going on or can direct me to a post that does I would be forever grateful.  

That said should I even buy BV?  I have always legally bought every game I have ever played, and had every intention to do so for this one, but um, if there are 20 pages of people here up in arms over EA I am not so sure I want to support them this time around.  Then I guess my last question would be is there an alternative BV that I can get ahold of that doesn't have this whatever is making you so angry or atleast a way to fix what is?

Thanks so much.
Sherry

Immolation is the sincerest form of flattery -- Crow
Anouk
ARR!

Inactive

View Profile
Maxoid Sam
« Reply #291 on: 2007 October 19, 20:05:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

In short:

1.Bon Voyage CD and DVD have Securom. It will install on your pc while you install the game. Securom may disable and damage programs on your computer Sony doesn't want you to use, because they are associated with piracy.

2.Bon Voyage obtained the illegal way, does not contain Securom. Wich means Securom is just a big pile of fail. It has failed it's pupose, to protect the expansion from being pirated. (plus, it's commonly known, a gamecompany's employees often put up games before or on the release date)

3. EA denies that Securom damages copmutersystems, has done everything to cencor people who point to real information, and keep lying about it.

That's about it.

Inactive
fourohfourerror
ARR!

View Profile
Maxoid Sam
« Reply #292 on: 2007 October 19, 20:29:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Noukiej"
In short:

1.Bon Voyage CD and DVD have Securom. It will install on your pc while you install the game. Securom may disable and damage programs on your computer Sony doesn't want you to use, because they are associated with piracy.

I thought you could install it from the disk, and then download a no-cd crack to play, since it is installed from the exe you use to run the game.

Sorry to hear about your kitty, Sherry.  Sad

ealth is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.
JFederated
ARR!

View Profile
Maxoid Sam
« Reply #293 on: 2007 October 19, 20:34:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'd like to just elaborate on #1 of Nouk's nicely concised breakdown.

SecuROM is disabling LEGITIMATE, factory installed CD burning software like Nero for some people (amongst other things), because it 'blacklists' certain programs as conducive to piratey type behavior.  In other words:  it's making decisions about what people have on their computers OUTSIDE of the confines of the game.  Not cool.

People have also reported that it alters antivirus settings without their permission or knowledge.  Because they are not aware that SecuROM could be creating problems with certain driver software, people are taking their comps to geek techs, replacing drives that may be perfectly fine, and reformatting their computers.

I don't as yet have any issues, tho my wireless router drivers up and uninstalled on me out of nowhere a week after installing BV (easily fixed with a call to Comcast), but I worry that because SecuROM needs to update itself, one day I'll have a new peripheral or software rendered non-functional because SecuROM doesn't like it.

EA is whinging that not enough people are coming forward with complaints and the necessary ENCRYPTED analysis files generated by SecuROM (why the hell are they encrypted?!); people with problems didn't wait an entire month to get their problems fixed, that's why, and they're not about to reinstall the thing that caused them problems so EA can tell them it's all in their heads.

Currently, and in the face of a forum full of angry people, EA is convinced that SecuROM works properly.  They are assholes and not to be rewarded for such bad behavior.

Keep your money.  Screw 'em.

Bring me a bag of Bigfoot droppings or SHUT UP!  --  Prof. Hubert Farnsworth
solianq
Landlubber

View Profile
Maxoid Sam
« Reply #294 on: 2007 October 19, 20:58:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This whole conversation has confirmed to me that I'm really stupid about computers.  I had no inkling about Securom until I cruised in here.  So stupid me, I went and installed my perfectly legally store-bought copy of Bon Voyage without having any clue that there was any secret software attached.  I wondered why my stupid computer keeps telling me that I'm trying to use a "copy" of the disc rather than the original disc (I'm not).  I'm very glad that I'm anal enough to test every DVD that I burn rather than simply putting them away somewhere to watch later.

I hope this issue blows up and forces EA to reconsider using this software in the future.  Secretly slipping us software that affects our computers beyond the scope of their own product seems so unethical to me--how is it legal?
Sherry
ARR!

View Profile WWW
Maxoid Sam
« Reply #295 on: 2007 October 19, 21:15:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Um Wow!  Thanks Nouk and Jfed for the answers.  No wonder people are so pissed off.  That completely sucks that any software would do something to anything else on your PC whether it's legal like Nero or not.

I buy the sims so I can play the sims game and create free content for the sims game, it shouldn't do anything to my computer but allow me to play sims.  It's none of EA's business if I burn a CD or DVD I own here or there for my younger sister and if they messed up my PC they would be getting a bill.   If EA wants to get involved in this shit I will not longer be giving them any of my money.

So glad I was not around to rush out and get BV.  Good going idoits @ EA, I am sure it's not rocket science to play your games without purchasing them, and I am about to find out when typically I - and I am sure many other - who would have been content paying for the shit and not going through the hassle.

Now then, can anyone send me a pm where I can go about getting a cleaned up version of BV?  

Thanks again for clearing this up.

JFederated
ARR!

View Profile
Maxoid Sam
« Reply #296 on: 2007 October 19, 21:41:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sherry:

http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/smf/index.php/topic,9929.0.html

Kari/Zazazu broked it down.   Cheesy

Edit:  try this one too:

http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/smf/index.php/topic,9559.0.html

The Bioshock forums are fun reading too:

http://forums.2kgames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8250

It's the Digital Rights Management (DRM) issue in general.  They want to stop 'piracy' but are taking it out of the hides of legit paying customers.  It's so stupid.

Solianq:  I personally don't think it is legal to install something without my knowledge, that I cannot fully remove, that will take inordinate control of my private property.  They're skirting the law somehow with this DRM crap, but I do hope to see them suffer for taking such liberties.

Sherry
ARR!

View Profile WWW
Maxoid Sam
« Reply #297 on: 2007 October 19, 22:11:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks again JFed, I know what I'll be up to tomorrow.

Yeah backwards thinking on EA's part.  I always wonder why these software/record/movie companies are so stupid.  Someone is going to crack whatever security you have on whatever digital media you are selling, and someone is going to make your game or what have you illegally available for download and someone else is going to illegally obtain it.  You want to give them a reason not to do this shit, which is unfortunately exactly the opposite these idiotic companies end up doing.  Over charging and messing up your PC.  It's no wonder that people end up having no sympathy when they here about lower numbers due to piracy.

No forward thinking ever.  Except for Radiohead

Hecubus
Notorious Pirate

Resident Menstruatrix

View Profile WWW
Maxoid Sam
« Reply #298 on: 2007 October 19, 22:56:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Radiohead kicks ass.

I heard or read somewhere (maybe here? I can't recall) that piracy goes UP every time an industry installs some sort of security software. People don't like you to fuck with their computers or their privacy. Surely EA has to realize that they're losing more money now than they were.

Silly campers.

Cheezserver Fund: 27-Sep: $2518 We made out goal - WOOT!

"There's no such thing as a tasteful drag queen." -  Project RunGay

FAQ
JFederated
ARR!

View Profile
Maxoid Sam
« Reply #299 on: 2007 October 20, 00:15:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Hecubus"
Radiohead kicks ass.

I heard or read somewhere (maybe here? I can't recall) that piracy goes UP every time an industry installs some sort of security software. People don't like you to fuck with their computers or their privacy. Surely EA has to realize that they're losing more money now than they were.

Silly campers.

You are most welcome, Sherry.  Smiley

And Hec:  Hells yeah.  I had no inclination to nor any slim clue how to pirate anything until now.  I still haven't done so (it's already on my puter, dammit), but I've got all the tools ready to go if I make such a decision.  The sure thing is that EA gets no more of my money if they continue to cling to this ridiculous concept.  Quite the bankrupt brain trust they've got over there.  They've lost far more than they've gained, but somehow they refuse to see it that way and maybe they never will.  I'm insanely curious about what their upcoming holiday numbers are going to look like; I want them to take a bloodbath, but who knows...

Like I needed another stick up my butt.   :roll:

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: