PMBD PMBD
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 13, 23:16:49

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
138712 Posts in 1637 Topics by 5282 Members
Latest Member: AlexanderPistoletov
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  PMBD
|-+  The Pirate Ship
| |-+  ARR!
| | |-+  Reflex forum is now closed
0 Members and 5 Chinese Bots are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 21 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Reflex forum is now closed  (Read 91991 times)
Devilfish
ARR!

View Profile WWW
Re: Reflex forum is now closed
« Reply #165 on: 2009 February 17, 01:51:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Um... I may have missed something, but I saw this on that ew FA's blog:

First of all i would like to say what an honour it is to be a FA here at TSR.
All sets i made earlier, and that are also on www.blackpearlsims.com (former reflexsimsforum) will always remain free for download.

Did I miss something? Because that url leads nowhere and it's the first I hear about it.

scrappysim
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: 2009 February 17, 01:55:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That will be the new forums address once it is up an running.  (from what I understand form the thread on sims cave)

Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Deeply. . . . It's worth it!
oolongteadrinker
ARR!

yum?

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: 2009 February 17, 02:05:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

She's just a twat all her own  Wink  Shocked

LOL @ Devilfish! Lemmings go in TSR ocean. *plop*

Way off topic, but I read somewhere that the popular mythos  of mass-drowning-lemmings was due to Disney's "creative" nudging of facts. A group of lemmings DO in fact run off a cliff and drown in an old disney "nature documentary" but what most people don't know is that a stagehand chased them off the cliff.

Or so I've read. *cough* Back to scheduled programming. Nothing to see here.
Ahoy  Black Pearl!
« Last Edit: 2009 February 17, 02:14:24 by oolongteadrinker » Logged
SoggyFox
ARR!

Reyn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #168 on: 2009 February 17, 02:24:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Don't know if it was Disney, believe it was Wild Kingdom.  Staged nature shows were the norm and a lot of facts about animals on those shows were comletely made up to make for better ratings.

"Try diplomacy, you can always invade them later." Pescado
www.thestormradio.com
neriana
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: 2009 February 17, 02:38:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Disney did the Wild Kingdom shows, and yes, they murdered lemmings en masse. Lemmings don't jump off cliffs normally.

oolongteadrinker
ARR!

yum?

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: 2009 February 17, 03:27:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Stupid Disney!
Prefer Attenborough, anyway. Undecided
Skoria_Bay
ARR!

Give me a tall ship and star to sail her by

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: 2009 February 17, 03:33:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom was on before the Wonderful World of Disney on Sunday nights when I was a kid. Disney did a nature series called True Life Adventures, but had nothing to do with Wild Kingdom which was a separate show.

Yes, Wild Kingdom did some pretty crazy stunts even before (rest his soul in peace) Steve Irwin was wrestling crocs. "Watch now as Jim holds the python" at which point poor Jim would get tangled with some python and struggle in the background as Marlin Perkins gave some information on the snake, animal, whatever. Apparently Animal Planet shows the show in syndication now.

Pescado: I will THROW THEM IN A VAT OF BOILING SHARKS!
mustluvcatz: So, what good would a vat of boiling sharks do? I mean, wouldn't the sharks be dead?
Pescado: SILENCE!
Scurvy Cat
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: 2009 February 17, 05:54:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

No, the Lemmings incident was one of Disney's True Life Adventure series.  Not Wild Kingdom, which was a separate show sponsored by an Insurance Company--Mutual of Omaha.l

Some people are like Slinkies.  Not much use but they always bring a smile when pushed down the stairs.
Pottymouth
Paden
ARR!

Great Cat of no mercy.

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: 2009 February 17, 06:12:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

For the ugly truth about this, you can read it all here. I loves me some Snopes late at night.

The tea is not fit to drink; it's been stewed and is old.
SoggyFox
ARR!

Reyn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #174 on: 2009 February 17, 06:25:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That's what threw me - I'd read this article, and confused the MoO with the Disney one.

"Try diplomacy, you can always invade them later." Pescado
www.thestormradio.com
Pottymouth
Paden
ARR!

Great Cat of no mercy.

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: 2009 February 17, 06:37:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It's late, and you're most likely tired and both of the shows had a history of staging the animal action, so it's not unreasonable to get them crossed, which is why I went to Snopes. They iz mythbusters... Cheesy

The tea is not fit to drink; it's been stewed and is old.
rum nate
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: 2009 February 17, 06:45:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thats disturbing they would want to do that. But anything to make a buck apparently, right.

Quote from: Paden
I would not trust them with a fox, I would not trust them with a fox, I would not trust them here or there, I would not trust them anywhere. I do not like that mental scar, I would not trust that TSR...
Elphaba
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: 2009 February 17, 08:53:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Actually there are two myths about Lemmings that are completely untrue. The first, obviously, is that they jump off cliffs. The second is that the first myth was invented by disney. In fact it predates disney, as episode 5 of series 4 of the wonderful british show QI shows
Alan
They don't actually jump off cliffs.

Stephen
They don't jump off cliffs.

Clive
It was invented by Disney or somebody?

Stephen
Oh, dear me.

Forfeit: Klaxons sound. Viewscreens flash the words "MYTH INVENTED BY DISNEY".

Stephen
It was not invented by Disney, no. There were two myths about it, one that they commit mass suicide, the other that it was Disney who invented the myth.

Clive
Ah, right.

Stephen
In fact, they didn't. As early as 1908 in an . . .  Arthur Mee's Children's Encyclopedia, he talks about them throwing themselves off cliffs into the water.
So there you go, another myth dispelled by Stephen Fry

This has been random facts from Elphaba, tune in next time for 'The shin: a device for finding furniture in the dark' and 'Yes you CAN walk on custard!'

Nurture your inner 0. Cherish your inner 6. Squish your inner 12 into a tiny box so they can't open their mouths and embarrass you
Devilfish
ARR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #178 on: 2009 February 17, 12:17:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Lemmings do fall to their deaths en masse when their population explodes and they migrate though, but those are not suicides, they're accidents. I suppose to a casual observer it could look like a mass suicide, which would explain the entry in Arthur Mee's Children's Encyclopedia.

And in any case, real lemmings don't interest me quite as much as those cute little green-haired critters Smiley
« Last Edit: 2009 February 17, 15:02:09 by Devilfish » Logged

Darqstar
ARR!

Somehow Involved.

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: 2009 February 17, 14:37:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I grew up seeing that Disney video week after week (they showed a clip of them leaping off the cliff it during the opening of Wide World of Disney, every single Sunday night)  and with most people believing that Lemmings killed themselves when their population was too big. 

My father though, called bullspit on this almost imedietly, pointing out that there were more logical things to do to restore population than for all the healthiest Lemmings to go leaping off to death.  Most animals in population control situations will stop mating, or kill the young.  Yes, I know, we're a child centered society now, that would kill all adults in order to save the precious children, but in the animal kingdom it's a bit different.  Until they become young adults,  animal babies are a liability to the society.  They cannot self sustain, they need other to help. Even worse, if they are nursing, they tie up another member so that the rest of the tribe have to protect mother and babies.  If it gets to the point where there is not enough food for everyone, the logical thing to do is to get rid of the members who are taking resources without giving back.  The young and the old.

For a mass suicide, even if the entire colony of Lemmings ran to jump off the cliff, the strongest and fastest would make it first, leaving the weaker behind.  Yeah, that's logical for evolution.

My father was convinced that it was all faked.  And what do you know?  He was right.  But even better, he convinced me and my brother of that as well, it also helped teach us to think before we accept. 

Now with the POWAH to ruin the internet!
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 21 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: