PMBD PMBD
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 09, 10:26:07

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
138712 Posts in 1637 Topics by 5282 Members
Latest Member: AlexanderPistoletov
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  PMBD
|-+  The Pirate Ship
| |-+  ARR!
| | |-+  CC Commission
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: CC Commission  (Read 9416 times)
Sarafina
ARR!

View Profile
CC Commission
« on: 2007 October 20, 05:34:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Posted over at N99.

A friend of mine wants to commission custom designed content for her Sims 2 game. I know it might sound a little crazy, but she's serious.  Some details:

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Every year I treat myself to something nice for Christmas. It’s usually a geek gadget, peripheral or something cool I want but haven’t been able to justify purchasing. This year, I want something really original – new content for my Sims 2 game!

That’s right, you heard me. I want to commission custom designed content for me to use with the Sims 2 Open for Business and Seasons. I want to negotiate a price to have a neighborhood built and sent to me. We can work out the details of how many homes and the level of customization required, but here’s the general gist…

Neighborhood would consist of (3) different streets that have been populated with similarly themed home-businesses and one commercial lot.

* For example, you’d create an urban themed street, where the homes, yards and surrounding land look like a city block. There would be maybe (5) home businesses and I’d provide what those businesses should be and my general tastes in color palettes and styles. In addition, there would be one all purpose commercial lot with shopping, a park, etc.
* Another themed street might be a rural countryside that consists of country estates and farms. Same deal (5) types of home businesses and one all purpose commercial lot
* My last choice would probably a bit more extravagant; I might want a period setting that mimics one of my favorite literary pieces such as Pride and Prejudice, something Elizabethan, Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings. Hell, if possible, I might even choose a favorite area from WOW - Booty Bay, Lakeshire and Westfall come to mind! Now wouldn't that be a hoot. If would be perfectly fine if this last area needed to be done by someone else who specializes in creating this kind of content.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There are many more details at her blog Mystic Worlds.

Sounds like it would be a fun project for a content designer...especially when they are getting paid to do it!

So it's not a paysite per say, but it's definitely odd.  She does mention content, but the post seems to be about a neighborhood, but even lots require game code to work, thus violating the EULA.  But, I think that if enough people see it, they might start getting ideas and have more people willing to fork over money for requested items, and that could be pretty dangerous.
Yaardarm Monkey
ARR!

View Profile
CC Commission
« Reply #1 on: 2007 October 20, 05:41:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sounds like she's too darn lazy to make her own neighborhood.   Shocked
keirra
ARR!

View Profile
CC Commission
« Reply #2 on: 2007 October 20, 07:49:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

And this needed to be a new thread in ARR! why?  :roll:  You've been around long enough to know better, Sarfina.

I'd tell you to go to Hell, but I work there and don't want to see you every day.
Duckie
ARR!

View Profile WWW
CC Commission
« Reply #3 on: 2007 October 20, 10:48:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "keirra"
And this needed to be a new thread in ARR! why?  :roll:  You've been around long enough to know better, Sarfina.

Why not? The topic isn't relevant to any currently active threads in ARR!, Arr?, or Sharkbait.

While it hasn't brought a new paysite to our attention it has brought a new facet of the pay for custom content problem to our attention. I, for one, hope that this "request" at N99 doesn't put any ideas into the heads of the paysite owners/creators that frequent that forum. Not that this "commission for custom content" idea is new. Didn't SeraSims  try it at one point?

b]DerailedSims2 ~ Money Better Spent![/b]
(Derailed's been updated!)
keirra
ARR!

View Profile
CC Commission
« Reply #4 on: 2007 October 20, 11:58:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Guess I was wrong.

I'd tell you to go to Hell, but I work there and don't want to see you every day.
Hecubus
Notorious Pirate

Resident Menstruatrix

View Profile WWW
CC Commission
« Reply #5 on: 2007 October 20, 13:42:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think so, Duckie....I know we did have a discussion about comissions and whether itw as as bad as paysites...and I thin kwe decided it is.

What I can't figure out is why, with all the custom hoods and even custom FURNISHED hoods out there, why the OP at N99 can't just get one of those and spend her money on something real.

That's just lazy, IMO.

Cheezserver Fund: 27-Sep: $2518 We made out goal - WOOT!

"There's no such thing as a tasteful drag queen." -  Project RunGay

FAQ
deelink
ARR!

patch it where it counts

View Profile
CC Commission
« Reply #6 on: 2007 October 20, 14:37:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

in accordance to her tastes?

So you are going to have to send her colour samples and construction papers? i.e blueprints?

WTF?

Some people think having a lot of money let's you enjoy the luxury of being lazy. I think it's the cause of insanity that turns people stupid.

Waste.Of.Money.

"It's a pity closed minds don't come with closed mouths" - Strix
Ry
ARR!

Paden's Baked Tater

View Profile WWW
CC Commission
« Reply #7 on: 2007 October 20, 14:58:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

And I thought I was lazy.  :shock:

CC Comissions have been around for ever. Micha used to pay eero to make her stuff.
It's just all done under wraps.
Now this is....kinda funny. Who in their right mind would even accept, I wonder?
A whole neighborhood....
Why doesn't she just download a ton of houses and stick 'em in place?
*wishes she had a Red Bull to hand the lazy N99er*

I'm enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination.
Imagination is more important than knowledge.
Knowledge is limited.
Imagination encircles the world.
~Einstein
tgriffy
ARR!

View Profile
CC Commission
« Reply #8 on: 2007 October 20, 16:45:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Hecubus"
I think so, Duckie....I know we did have a discussion about comissions and whether itw as as bad as paysites...and I thin kwe decided it is.

What I can't figure out is why, with all the custom hoods and even custom FURNISHED hoods out there, why the OP at N99 can't just get one of those and spend her money on something real.

That's just lazy, IMO.

I don't think there is enough information to judge one way or the other.  If we give this person the benefit of the doubt, these possibilities occur to me:

This person does not know where to find custom furnished hoods or doesn't like the ones that are out there.  I've been on the lookout for brand new, furnished and populated hoods, but have not liked what I've seen so far.

As far as creating one's own custom hood, my own attempts so far have been, shall we say, less than spectacular.  That's why I started looking for some in the first place.

Actually, our only real clue to this person's motivation comes from her introductory sentences:

Every year I treat myself to something nice for Christmas. It’s usually a geek gadget, peripheral or something cool I want but haven’t been able to justify purchasing.

Personally, that sounds like someone with money to burn and who likes to be spoiled.

Tim
Sarafina
ARR!

View Profile
CC Commission
« Reply #9 on: 2007 October 20, 20:12:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "ry"
CC Comissions have been around for ever. Micha used to pay eero to make her stuff.
It's just all done under wraps.

I didn't know that, that's just stupid.  Were they only for her, or was it publicly released?
Markus
ARR!

View Profile
CC Commission
« Reply #10 on: 2007 October 21, 03:39:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If she was smart and not so lazy/bad with money, the proper thing to do would be to go on the wiki and make a custom neighbourhood with items posted there.
Heck, if you want period stuff just go on All About Style. There's a whack of themed clothes on that site.
alia
ARR!

Ms. Smartypants

View Profile
CC Commission
« Reply #11 on: 2007 October 21, 10:07:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Eero made the meshes, Micha sold them to others. I seem to remember (not sure, though, as this was during the sims1 days) that she made the textures and several recolours.

Eero is not a bad guy, he was just misguided. I've exchanged some emails with him and since sims 1 days he's seen the light, so no paysites for him anymore. Smiley

SunSun a.k.a. Shannis

I aten't dead yet.
SparklePlenty
ARR!

View Profile WWW
CC Commission
« Reply #12 on: 2007 October 21, 19:46:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I personally have no problem with someone paying someone else to make them some custom content. I am paying for a service, just like I would pay someone to bake me a cake or update my website. Just DO NOT expect me to refrain from sharing the end product.  Also, do not expect me to pay for stuff you stole from someone else, or are using illegally, which is what paysites do.   If I pay you to recolor a Maxis mesh for me, I am paying for your services, not the recolor, since it still is a Maxis mesh.  If I pay you to make a neighborhood for me, do not think you have any rights to tell me what to do with said neighborhood.

Anyone want to pay me to recolor something for them?  :lol:

Still watching you guys
Requip
ARR!

View Profile
CC Commission
« Reply #13 on: 2007 October 22, 14:03:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Not one single person replied to that post.  :lol:

Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?
SmilingSweetly
ARR!

View Profile
CC Commission
« Reply #14 on: 2007 October 22, 14:42:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

*shakes head*

I just don't understand someone either not a) making it themself, or 2) downloading from the talented creators out there (free sites of course).

I can think of plenty others things to spend my money on.

Like more rum  :wink:

Now, a question of etiquette - as I pass, do I give you the ass or the crotch?
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: