PMBD PMBD
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 03, 17:08:14

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
138712 Posts in 1637 Topics by 5282 Members
Latest Member: AlexanderPistoletov
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  PMBD
|-+  The Pirate Ship
| |-+  ARR!
| | |-+  Numenor's Opinion of pay vs free
0 Members and 2 Chinese Bots are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Numenor's Opinion of pay vs free  (Read 33832 times)
Quorneater
ARR!

View Profile
Numenor's Opinion of pay vs free
« Reply #135 on: 2007 August 29, 08:52:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Quinctia"

I just wish he wasn't so butthurt about the sharing of the tanning bed, because it's not actually about him, it never was about him, and I just wish he had the understanding to see that, instead of trying to construe it to being about him.  I highly doubt that item being in the booty will affect the amount of his donations one way or the other--since I doubt that people really donated FOR his item in the first place.

As I said another time, I don't think that donation gift is about the money, I think it's a social experiment.  I think he's interested to see what happens and what people say.   I don't think he's offended really, just interested in the debate.   Anyway it's MTS2 that bears most of the cost of people downloading Numenor's work, and of Numenor giving his advice to modders, so it would really be more fitting to donate to them if you appreciate Numenor - which of course most of us do.  If you think about it, if Numenor didn't have his donation gift, he wouldn't have the costs of running his site, cos that's all that's on the site.

Marylou's got a site with actual stuff on it.

Our lil friend must be stopped.
Quinctia
ARR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #136 on: 2007 August 29, 17:21:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Aside from the cost of the domain name, I know of free (no-ad) webhosting for a site that small, so that site shouldn't be costing him more than $8-15 a year, depending on his registrar.

Is the tantrum throwing over (in poll form) his item being shared part of the social experiment?  Anyone writing a poll that skewed has some sort of emotional investment in the answers.
leilatigress
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: 2007 August 29, 18:22:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Gods you people that could actually live without custom content have my envy!  As much money as I spend a month on custom content there is no way in hell I would ever got back to no custom content.  Everything from the walls my sims look at to their skin is custom and I refuse to go back to ugly, censored, no fashion sensed what the hell were you thinking when you put yellow and pink circles on the friggin wall crap Maxis packages with its games.  I too start out with a fresh DL folder for every EP though I refuse to live without Enyala's skins and Mikita's eyes.  I'm only willing to part with Peggy's hair and woe to the person who tries to make me live without Nouk's hair.  

My downloads folder is divided by artist and then sub divided by category.  I am very organized in my DL folder.  If Numenor decides to take his toys and go home I am confident one of the other modders could fix the CEP so it would work for whatever we needed it to.  *looks imploringly at the modders and uses Pooki's avi to help*

f you have nothing witty to say it is better to be silent
"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
    - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)
Meganne
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: 2007 August 29, 18:27:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Quinctia"
Well, hell, I know Numenor's not ridiculously overprotective of his stuff--really, as I'm prepping lots for upload, I'm loving his and MaryLou's policies on build stuff redistribution.  And I try to respect creator's wishes about that kind of thing when I'm making stuff to share.

I just wish he wasn't so butthurt about the sharing of the tanning bed, because it's not actually about him, it never was about him, and I just wish he had the understanding to see that, instead of trying to construe it to being about him.  I highly doubt that item being in the booty will affect the amount of his donations one way or the other--since I doubt that people really donated FOR his item in the first place.

So why be offended about it?

Well I speak fluent Italian (or at least I should since I'm an Italian citizen) so I can't say I've problems understanding Numenor due to language barrier.

I really think he stated what he believes. He wants to have something special to give to the people that donate. In consequence from his point of view filesharing destroys that "uniqueness". Just for a sample of the reasons I believe him:
- he's ok with getting cents, not a fixed price
- if he really wanted to be 'paid" he would have had many more opportunities than the majority of the paysiters.

I don't know why Numenor would ask for donations. I see the same from others that have their creations hosted only by Insim and MTS2. But those creators aren't giving back special files, at least not openly.

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." -- Robert A. Heinlein

Trolls you have been warned: I survived the Great Troll-Off of '08. Hiding.

Member of Cala's cult.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: