PMBD PMBD
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 17, 04:54:45

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
138712 Posts in 1637 Topics by 5282 Members
Latest Member: AlexanderPistoletov
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  PMBD
|-+  The Pirate Ship
| |-+  ARR!
| | |-+  New Paysite Alert
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: New Paysite Alert  (Read 39073 times)
Captain Feathersword
ARR!

View Profile WWW
New Paysite Alert
« Reply #75 on: 2007 May 05, 17:33:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "MizzKitty"
As a remedy I have only been dating males from clear across the country and I moved to an area with a much prettier almost sing-song dialect. Incidentally this is also the birth town of Hans Christian Andersen. I know, that fact had no home anywhere in this post.  :wink:

Ooh Odense. I've been there, stayed about 3 days. It was nice and I'd like to go back as I was pretty sick and didn't get to see as much as I wanted. I was hoping to go to the castle on the forest of trees or something. Lots of wood, logs, you know. South East I think. *feels dumb for forgetting*

Your next queen is going to be one of us!
(I may live in England but I'm not one of them.)

ell, defile me with a barnacled fork!   -   Cuss-o-matic for all your epithet needs.

Join my imaginary cult. The consequences of refusal are worse than you imagine.
Bigtruckgirl
Pirate

View Profile WWW
New Paysite Alert
« Reply #76 on: 2007 May 05, 21:20:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Pirates Like Sapphires"
I'm not sure what you mean by "Queen's English" coz like NO-ONE talks like the Queen. I mean it. That's RP ("Received Pronunciation") and whilst many people speak modified RP (I guess I do a lot of the time) nobody actually speaks proper RP like the Queen. So whatever this "Queen's English" is, it's a load of bollocks. ^^

Load of bollocks or not (yes I know what that is, we have English friends here. I also love to hear this one guy say fuck off, but that is a different story. LOL), I felt as if I should have curtsied to the chick at the hotel. I have never quite heard English spoke that proper since the Queen was on TV the last time. :lol:  

Really though, We are taught in school that  your English is called "Queen's English," but it has little to do with how proper it is. That is how we discern between "English" (what we speak) and English (What you speak). It really has nothing to do with how you speak it with Received Pronunciation or slang or accent of area. It is just a way to tell the two apart. In other words if you say here "She spoke  English." one would "assume" that it was American style English, because of the type of English we speak here, but if we said "She spoke Queen's English." then one would know that she was from the UK or a territory.  That was why I put it in quotations (or at least I thought I did). Because it is not necessarily "proper hoity-toity" English like the Queen herself speaks, but the difference in American English and UK English.  

Nii, what IS a redneck? I'm not sure, and I don't understand the term of speaking like one--how do you communicate?

Historically the term comes from those that work in their fields, rural country farmers (because as you work in the fields and your head is tilted down as if to plow, your neck gets sun burnt)  and is largely used as a slang tern. Depending on intent it can either be a complement or insult. It originally was used to describe rural, country people, mostly uneducated, but who were hard working and who spoke with a "country" accent.

Now a days it is associated with the utmost in stupidity and crude/rude demeanor. As RedLove said, it is what Jeff Foxworthy and Blue Collar Comedy tour base their skits and routines on, however there are still those older farmers who don't even think their shit is funny. They play on the common negative stereotypes of this group of people, so take it with a grain of salt.

~*~ We always thought we'd look back on our tears and laugh, but we never thought we'd look back on our laughter and cry. ~*~
Bigtruckgirl
Pirate

View Profile WWW
New Paysite Alert
« Reply #77 on: 2007 May 05, 21:29:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: Bigtruckgirl
I'm not sure what you mean by "Queen's English" coz like NO-ONE talks like the Queen. I mean it. That's RP ("Received Pronunciation") and whilst many people speak modified RP (I guess I do a lot of the time) nobody actually speaks proper RP like the Queen. So whatever this "Queen's English" is, it's a load of bollocks. ^^

Load of bollocks or not (yes I know what that is, we have English friends here. I also love to hear this one guy say fuck off, but that is a different story. LOL), I felt as if I should have curtsied to the chick at the hotel. I have never quite heard English spoke that proper since the Queen was on TV the last time. :lol:  

Really though, We are taught in school that  your English is called "Queen's English," but it has little to do with how proper it is. That is how we discern between "English" (what we speak) and English (What you speak). It really has nothing to do with how you speak it with Received Pronunciation or slang or accent of area. It is just a way to tell the two apart. In other words if you say here "She spoke  English." one would "assume" that it was American style English, because of the type of English we speak here, but if we said "She spoke Queen's English." then one would know that she was from the UK or a territory.  That was why I put it in quotations (or at least I thought I did). Because it is not necessarily "proper hoity-toity" English like the Queen herself speaks, but the difference in American English and UK English.  

Nii, what IS a redneck? I'm not sure, and I don't understand the term of speaking like one--how do you communicate?

Historically the term comes from those that work in their fields, rural country farmers (because as you work in the fields and your head is tilted down as if to plow, your neck gets sun burnt)  and is largely used as a slang tern. Depending on intent it can either be a complement or insult. It originally was used to describe rural, country people, mostly uneducated, but who were hard working and who spoke with a "country" accent.

Now a days it is associated with the utmost in stupidity and crude/rude demeanor. As RedLove said, it is what Jeff Foxworthy and Blue Collar Comedy tour base their skits and routines on, however there are still those older farmers who don't even think their shit is funny. They play on the common negative stereotypes of this group of people, so take it with a grain of salt.

Quote from: "alia"
Ah, I do not think it is fair to criticize*  Fairywitch because of her spelling/grammar mistakes because I think she is German, and therefore not a native English speaker.

I am friends with a large group of German people, all still living in Germany and from all age groups. 99.99% of them speak better English that I do. Regardless, there is a thing called a spell check and evidently as we have found out in this thread, most are geared towards the US form of English. If you are going to place a site (and I don't mean this in a mean way and I do mean it for all web sites, not just hers) towards a certain population and then ask for money from that population, it is best to make it look as professional as one can. This means graphics, written word, etcetera. Also, her rant seemed very fluent in English. I'd have to go back through and look to see if she misspelled any of it, but I don't think she did. She seemed pretty proficient especially in the use of English cuss words.  :lol:

~*~ We always thought we'd look back on our tears and laugh, but we never thought we'd look back on our laughter and cry. ~*~
Tchannie
Little Bitch
ARR!

I am Tchan, hear me roar

View Profile WWW
New Paysite Alert
« Reply #78 on: 2007 May 05, 21:46:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Doursim"
Practice:  to preform work repeatedly as to become proficient.

Practise:  To take advantage of someone

Er, no. Where the BLOODY FUCK did you get that?!!!! I have NEVER encountered the word "practise" to mean that. EVER. That's just weird. It DEFINITELY doesn't mean that over here!! It's the verbial form of "practice" to us, whereas "practice" is the noun...but to take advantage of someone? No...

Quote from: "Captain Feathersword"
Quote from: "RedLove"
And don't even talk about names. Can't even say Eleanore down here it sounds like "Eliner"

The English pronounce Eleanor as Ellen-uh (it's hard trying to be phonetic for people from other countries).

That's my name. ^^ Or one of them, lol. I pronounce it "Ellen-nor" when I'm trying to be posh (then again, my Christian name is posh enough without the middle name Eleanor--that's probably something to be mad at Pescado for, ne? Being saddled with the Scottishly-modified versions of the names of two Scottish grandmothers of mine). When I CBA, I say "Ellen-er"/"Ellen-uh"/"Elin-uh"/"Elin-er". Take your pick, it changes depending on whoever I'm speaking to. Wink

((In case you haven't already seen it, I was rather unfortunately named Cairistiona. A) Nobody can pronounce it, B) Nobody can spell it, C) It's the name of a Scottish princess who drowned on the way to her wedding at age 16 during the 1600s. Whilst I like being named after a princess, the drowning bit usually gets me...and of course, nobody can spell/write it, and it makes me FURIOUS when people can't be bothered to ask first or consult a sheet with my name on it...Pescado's fault again.))

~ It doesn't matter that the FAQ states it as a bad thing, I LIKE being the one and only Little Bitch. ~

Quote from: Jojoba
Poor Pescado...he was just trying to be mean...and then you go and take it as a compliment! Bah humbug!
fourohfourerror
ARR!

View Profile
New Paysite Alert
« Reply #79 on: 2007 May 05, 21:51:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Showing my internet intellect, what does CBA mean?  It's the second time today I've seen it on this forum.

And do you go by Cairistiona offline?  I would love to have a name that tons of other people don't have!

ealth is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.
Captain Feathersword
ARR!

View Profile WWW
New Paysite Alert
« Reply #80 on: 2007 May 05, 22:09:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I assume it's  Can't Be Arsed. ('cause us speakers of "the Queen's English" don't confuse donkeys with bottoms.)

ell, defile me with a barnacled fork!   -   Cuss-o-matic for all your epithet needs.

Tchannie
Little Bitch
ARR!

I am Tchan, hear me roar

View Profile WWW
New Paysite Alert
« Reply #81 on: 2007 May 05, 22:23:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yes, yes it does. ^^^

And I generally go by Cairis. It's much easier for the idiots to pronounce even though there's still 20 spellings it could be. However, the one thing I loathe even more than my name being mispronounced is people who write "Caris". I HATE it. It makes me INSANE!! It's "Cairis"!!!!! *itches to correct the other spelling*

On the interwebz, I usually go by Caz/Cazzy. ^^

~ It doesn't matter that the FAQ states it as a bad thing, I LIKE being the one and only Little Bitch. ~

Quote from: Jojoba
Poor Pescado...he was just trying to be mean...and then you go and take it as a compliment! Bah humbug!
Hecubus
Notorious Pirate

Resident Menstruatrix

View Profile WWW
New Paysite Alert
« Reply #82 on: 2007 May 05, 22:30:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

One more redneck moment:

What is the last thing a redneck says before he dies?

"Hey, y'all! Watch THIS!"

Thank you...I'll be here all night...try the veal.

Cheezserver Fund: 27-Sep: $2518 We made out goal - WOOT!

"There's no such thing as a tasteful drag queen." -  Project RunGay

FAQ
Ensign EO
ARR!

Not a cash cow.

View Profile
New Paysite Alert
« Reply #83 on: 2007 May 05, 22:45:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have never heard of "practise" to mean taking advantage of someone.

However, the distinction of practise = verb and practice = noun makes sense to me (and I'll be taking note of that), especially when you consider advice/advise.  Advise is a verb, advice is a noun.

No one ever spells my name correctly.  I've seen

Bernadette.  Burnadette.  Briandette.  Brenadette.

My dad always laughs when people spell my name with a U.  It's Bernadeht.  Pronounced the same as Bernadette, just with a different ending.  My nickname tends to get a lot of different spellings as well.

Burny.  Burnie.  Burni.  Berni.  Berny.

And so on.  I shorten it to Bernie.  I think it was when I was complaining about people spelling my name with a U, my not-boyfriend called me Bunny.  Only nickname I'll tolerate from him.  =P

I don't really see what the big deal is about people using American English versus "Queen's English".  For the most part it seems to me just a difference in spelling, and the occasional difference in meaning (e.g. pants).  As long as I can understand what's being said, it's not really an issue for me--it seems like those who use "Queen's English" complain a lot more about the difference in the two than those who use American English.  (I have seen a few people scoff at the use of -our, but I think it's a North Dakotan/hick thing.  Never encountered it before.)
ChloroformDreams
Landlubber

View Profile
New Paysite Alert
« Reply #84 on: 2007 May 05, 23:10:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I can sympathise with the whole no-one-being-able-to-spell-your-name thing.  My name is a bloody noun and people have trouble spelling it (it's Marina BTW).  Sometimes I just feel like bashing them over the head and shouting, "How stupid are you?!" :roll:

I'm Canadian and I tend to spell things the British way, however because I live so close to the American border the general English people use here is severely bastardised.  People spell things with -our (colour, favour, etc.) but they tend to use Zs and Cs instead of Ss.  I've had several teachers correct me on my spelling and I've had to actually explain to them that some words can be spelt more than one way.
Pottymouth
Paden
ARR!

Great Cat of no mercy.

View Profile
New Paysite Alert
« Reply #85 on: 2007 May 05, 23:23:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

At least you have names that are not so damn old-fashioned that they belong in the fucking Smithsonian! Try having a name like mine, Eva, which some assholes mispronounce because they are just, well, assholes... It's all Pescado's fault, that is. They will use the Spanish pronunciation, the Netherland pronunciation, or whatever pops into their pointed little heads... Or, they give you a nickname like Evil and get pissed off when you live up to it... Fuck 'em, feed 'em beans. It is Eva, like even but without the "n". I've told people at the DOT to get it right, for God's sake! And when I still used my maiden name, I was always telling them how to spell that, too! I hate my name....

The tea is not fit to drink; it's been stewed and is old.
Granuaile
ARR!

View Profile
New Paysite Alert
« Reply #86 on: 2007 May 06, 00:02:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My first name is Rhea, but you'd be surprised how many people either mispronounce it or misspell it.  One guy even had the nerve to tell me that I spelled my own name wrong, and he wasn't even joking (he thought it should have been spelled Rhee). :shock:

I've heard everything from Are-he-ah, to Ray, to Are-hay and a couple of other versions.  One guy even laughed and said I had one of those weird ethnic names, but I don't think there's anything ethnic at all about it.  It's an old family name, and they came from the British Isles.
MMEStalker
ARR!

View Profile
New Paysite Alert
« Reply #87 on: 2007 May 06, 00:03:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Er, no. Where the BLOODY FUCK did you get that?!!!! I have NEVER encountered the word "practise" to mean that. EVER. That's just weird. It DEFINITELY doesn't mean that over here!! It's the verbial form of "practice" to us, whereas "practice" is the noun...but to take advantage of someone? No...

I've used it to mean that before so I looked it up and the OED has it as a meaning of practise:

5) take advantage of; impose upon.
missangelica
ARR!

Now even more ridiculous! (the bouffant edition)

View Profile
New Paysite Alert
« Reply #88 on: 2007 May 06, 00:09:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

How do you pronounce Rhea?  I would of said "Ray"..

practise
http://www.google.com/search?q=define%3A+practise

Words evolve though.. just 'cause something meant something in the old days it doesn't mean it means the same now.

All the following means the same but it over time people called it different names.
shell shock->battle fatigue->post traumatic stress disorder

defiantly- marked by defiance; boldly resisting.
definitely- decidedly: without question and beyond doubt

The difference.  You can has.  Learn it.  Love it.
Captain Feathersword
ARR!

View Profile WWW
New Paysite Alert
« Reply #89 on: 2007 May 06, 00:11:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Cool, what's the usage given?
(My Shorter OED is 10,000 miles away)

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: