PMBD PMBD
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 02, 17:03:08

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
138712 Posts in 1637 Topics by 5282 Members
Latest Member: AlexanderPistoletov
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  PMBD
|-+  The Pirate Ship
| |-+  ARR!
| | |-+  Murano moved all his stuffs to TSR!
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Murano moved all his stuffs to TSR!  (Read 7297 times)
Tsu
Landlubber

View Profile
Murano moved all his stuffs to TSR!
« on: 2008 February 22, 06:40:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

18 February I visited the site http://www.muranomobilia.com/ and only one set were linked to TSR. Today, all the sets were gone, he linked all of them to TSR!
Although this is not a big surprise (everyone knows that there are some people that after tasting money starts to be senile forgetting some basic principles, but that’s other story), the interesting thing is that the sets located in the TSR database have less size than the originals who were located in muranomobilia.
For example, with the Mono kitchen set, the files in muranomobilia site were in size as follow:
murano_mono_airpump.package    360.753
murano_mono_chair.package           176.494
murano_mono_counter01.package   485.265
murano_mono_counter02.package   521.356
murano_mono_counter03.package   531.801
And in TSR they are only:
murano_mono_airpump.package    190.459
murano_mono_chair.package       31.550
murano_mono_counter01.package   63.478
murano_mono_counter02.package   311.753
murano_mono_counter03.package   84.676

(and the murano_mono_collection.package, size 15.781 is now missing)

And this can only mean one of two things:
1º - The creator is a dumb ass and don’t know what the f*** is doing. (because I don’t believe in miracles and I don’t understand how the hell is it possible to reduce a 3d model size so much without reducing polygon number or textures definition thus losing render quality, unless the error was a prior wrong modeling now corrected what again makes him a dumb ass);
Or
2º - TSR’s not only making money with the Maxis, EA work and property rights but also taking all the sims community by stupid nerds who don’t give value to quality by imposing size limits to the creator artists that work for them, and selling files that are now only a shadow of what they were.
Anyway, the thing is that the files are now much smaller, and I think that what is happening with the murano collection also is happening with other artists works, what could result in a reduction of the overall quality in the community creations taking in account that TSR is one of the biggest community sites. Moreover, the shame is that every passing day, more and more (some good) artists fall to their smelling money.
mando
ARR!

View Profile
Re: Murano moved all his stuffs to TSR!
« Reply #1 on: 2008 February 22, 06:56:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Or Murano's using something like the Compressorizer, which certainly has the ability to reduce file sizes by large amounts. Plus, I don't really think that you should assume that a larger file size automatically means a better piece of work; much of the time those larger file sizes are much more indicative of a poorer quality product and lack of skill (e.g. bloated poly counts and unnecessarily large textures) than a streamlined smaller file would be. As I haven't seen Murano's new files and meshes compared to the old ones, I can't tell you if he/she is actually going in and making changes to the meshes (although I do doubt it), but again you shouldn't assume that poly reduction of meshes means a badly made or clumsy piece of work. Frankly, a Sims 2 creator actually going in and making changes to files that were likely overly poly heavy in the first place is kind a good thing in my opinion (when I examine Sims 2 meshes on my own, it's usually "n-side" central), although making all of those sets pay is obviously the work of a greedy ass.
Tsu
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2008 February 22, 07:39:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I agree with you, but assuming that he did a good work in the first place (I do not even want to take the contrary in possibility), I think the files are too smaller compared with the first ones; and besides, the old ones worked great, so if this was a choice between size and graphics, I don’t see why so much necessity in reducing them so much.
Anyway, every day is a good day to say something fucked up against TSR!    Grin
mando
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2008 February 22, 07:50:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I agree with you, but assuming that he did a good work in the first place (I do not even want to take the contrary in possibility), I think the files are too smaller compared with the first ones; and besides, the old ones worked great, so if this was a choice between size and graphics, I don’t see why so much necessity in reducing them so much.

Maybe, but I actually doubt he's made any changes to the original files at all (maybe later I'll take a look and compare old and new, but I really, really doubt it), and is likely just compressing the files now. Here's a link to the Compressorizer, which is what I suspect has actually happened to these files.

Anyway, every day is a good day to say something fucked up against TSR!    Grin

Yes, indeed!  Cheesy
Tsu
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2008 February 22, 07:55:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Tanks for the link Mando! Smiley
Rissa
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2008 February 22, 12:01:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Some tome ago Teko/Murano/Cedric removed all of his stuff from Reflex where he uploaded before he had his own site. Most of them have been free sets.
I am still waiting for him to upload these sets to TSR as well. I am not sure if he'll do this, on the one hand he might be ashamed of the quality compared to today's standards, but on the other hand I cannot believe that Teko would ignore this chance to make more money. And we all know that he is a money hungry a**.

Moune
ARR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: 2008 February 22, 12:40:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You don't know what you're talking about, and you're insulting those of us who will actually take the time to go back and improve old objects.

Here's how it works: You have a one-tile deco object, that you originally gave a 512x512 texture map because the texture is very detailed. The package will be around 360 KB. Later you decide that it can make do with a smaller texture map, so you reduce it to 256x256. Just doing that reduces the size to 88 KB. Get it? From 360 KB to 88 KB. 270 KB just by changing the texture map size.

And another one: I've just finished making a sofa. I cloned it from the expensive basegame sofa. At first the package was 1.4 MB. Then I started cleaning it up a little bit. The only thing I did was take out all the files and parts related to the shadows (because I'm an idiot and can never find out how to do a fitting shadow, so I just delete them). That brought the size down to 890 KB. Get it? From 1400 KB to 890 KB. 510 KB less just by taking out the shadows.

Saying there's no need to reduce the size of the packages as much as possible is pure crap. Packages should be as small as possible. The less MB in your Downloads folder, the shorter load time and the smoother game play. Show me one simmer who doesn't want that.

I don't know what Teko did to reduce his file sizes, but changing the meshes is the least likely. You really have to take out a LOT of vertices/faces before it affects the size of the package. It is all the other stuff that bloats it. And whatever else you can say about Teko, critizising him for taking the time to slim down old packages is just not on.

(...) unless the error was a prior wrong modeling now corrected what again makes him a dumb ass);

I dare you to call ME a dumbass because some of my early objects could have been cleaned up a little or had minor faults before I served them up for download.

ETA: Typos

* Formerly known as Peachfish *
Got a hungry sim that needs a nice place to have dinner? HERE is a new dining room for you.
chemistrycourtney
Pirate

Perhaps I have.... a concordance!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: 2008 February 22, 15:12:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

How about his Moune:  you are awesome and go back and streamline your impressive objects.  (I love your kitchen sets and such.  they are full of win!)  You then put the awesome streamlined less bloaty file up for download.  For free. 

Murano has a big bloaty file up for free download.  He(?) then fixes and streamlines and removes bloat, but only for TSR, instead of doing it for the love of the content. 

That's more what irritates me.  Not that it's smaller now, but that it couldn't have been fixed up all pretty for free before. It's the principle of the thing that has me irritated. 

Playing in the GIMP is my favorite thing.
Ry
ARR!

Paden's Baked Tater

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: 2008 February 22, 15:34:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Moune, you can't even be compared to Murano.
You're full of win, he's full of shit. Cheesy

I'm enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination.
Imagination is more important than knowledge.
Knowledge is limited.
Imagination encircles the world.
~Einstein
Sinthe
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2008 February 22, 16:12:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

*shakes head* Greedy fuck.

I've never seen the Compressorizor shrink files by that much, at least not with my stuff. I'm probably wrong (Lord knows it happens all the damn time!), but I suspect that something other than the Compressorizer is at work. I'm going to listen to Moune, because I don't really know anything about making objects (I err on the side of knowledge and experience, not Sinthe and stoopidness).

ILU, Coconut!
mando
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2008 February 22, 19:32:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ha, ha! Thanks Moune for being more passionate and willing to argue that point than I was last night Grin. I completely agree with you here, a creator who is willing to fix their messy work by cleaning up polys and reducing texture sizes is not someone to be derided. I wish it was actually the norm in the Sims 2 community, but it definitely is not, and leads people to believe things like the original poster.

I've seen the Compressorizer shrink things down by a ton when I've run my own files through it, so I do believe it is possible or perhaps Murano is using some other sort of compression method. It's all speculative though, unless someone is willing to open up the old and new files and compare them to see if any changes have really been made. 
Tsu
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2008 February 22, 20:50:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, maybe I was not clear enough, but first Moune, if you know so much about modeling to start giving lessons to those you don’t know, you should also know that reducing a texture definition is the same as reducing quality (ofcourse it saves lots of size, duhh!).
So I don’t understand what you are trying to mean by saying: “You have a one-tile deco object, that you originally gave a 512x512 texture map because the texture is very detailed. The package will be around 360 KB. Later you decide that it can make do with a smaller texture map, so you reduce it to 256x256. Just doing that reduces the size to 88 KB. Get it?”
I get it, I just do not get why you are agreeing with me, because (one more time) reducing definition can be translated by reducing quality, and that’s why a texture pack of Hi-rez Textures is so expensive.

But well, I don’t want to start a fight unless you say that paying for stuff is great  Grin, what I first was trying to say is that it is impossible, unless you don’t know what you are doing (assuiming that when you first create the object you left lots of things “unpolished” before export), to reduce so much the the size without take something, wich means that or the textures were reduced (as you said may happened) diminishing the render quality or the poligons, shadows, or others were handled now with more care (witch means they weren’t first time), and know we are getting to the point.

In all of this, the point is that everyone knows that to fail is human, so if the objects were with errors (I prefer to call it that way, especially if you are a pro there are errors that are not acceptable, if you are not, they still are errors for me specially if you are intended to receive money for your work) and them because he was with more free time, or someone warned him about he decided to correct them. That is a wonderful thing to take as an example, but the point is as referred by Chemistrycourtney, why “He(?) then fixes and streamlines and removes bloat, but only for TSR, instead of doing it for the love of the content”.

Two or three days ago there were no problems with the files, at least not so significant to make them deserve a revision, and now simply there are?!?

And as for Teko, I think he is a wonderful artist, maybe not so good modeling, but with great art tast and great composition notions (it’s enough to see the packs he arrange), so I WANT TO BLAME TSR FOR ALL THE EVIL IN THE WORLD ( Tongue, and only joking, in the end, maybe not for all the evil in the world, but for using the very same principles that led to all the evil in the world, – GREED – is one of them for example).

In addition, for those who do not see a big difference between high and low-resolution textures, go see the site http://www.evermotion.org/ or http://www.doschdesign.com/d_start/ for Pro models and textures.
Of course, they are with polygon numbers and texture resolutions that make them unsuitable for the game, but you can use Cinema 4D compressor to reduce polygons and them do some polishing work; and for the textures just open photoshop, create a canvas with the pixels size you desire and them scale to feat, and save the texture in the desired format. Ofourse taking in account the relation between final usage scale and texture definition (what I think was what Moune was trying to explain me).
Saraswati
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2008 February 22, 21:14:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Tsu.. arguing from a non-mesher point of view here. Big bloaty files are bad because there's only so much detail needed for a tiny environment like Sims. Moune is right, superdetail is totally wasted if the object is too tiny to render it.

And then there's the Graphics card/game lag issue.. There is absolutely no point doing the most highly detailed beautiful object in the world if something half the size which renders much more quickly in the game looks pretty much the same in-game when you load it. The object is made to be looked at and used in the Sims environment, not just ooed and aahed at in preview pics.

Moune, I haven't been through to your site due to lack of time but with you guys explaining that they're nice and streamlined I'm going there now..  Smiley

My home sites are  http://www.sublimesims.net/ and
Reclaim Your Game http://reclaimyourgame.com/
mando
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2008 February 22, 21:50:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Obviously, you're going to get a higher quality texture with a larger file size, Tsu, but usually (especially for in-game use) this is not appropriate or necessary. As you've noted yourself, huge texture sizes mean huge lag when playing with them in-game. I disagree with you however that taking an originally (probably overly) large Sims 2 texture file size and scaling it down necessarily means an appreciable drop down in the quality of the texture (as in turning a 512x512 to a 256x256). A skilled texture artist and uv mapper will be able to work with a smaller file size and can make work that is almost equally detailed and well thought out as would be possible with a larger size simply by being smart about how they use their space and by using tricks to resize and adjust the image.

I saw some examples of textures from a James Bond game some years ago of the textures created for the random enemies; I was amazed at how well detailed they were (belts, buckles, lacing and all other small details were very sharp and perfectly included), and then was even more amazed by the fact that these textures were only 256x256 for an entire character! In some of my own larger projects when I've noticed lag, I've cut texture sizes down by half and haven't been bothered by a huge quality difference (not to mention appreciating the giant boost of speed I get from a minor sacrifice). So, a high quality image at a small file size is very, very achievable. Oftentimes, I've also noticed in the Sims 2 textures I've opened (although I will admit that this happens less so with furniture) that huge chunks of the space are taken up just by the invisible, alphaed parts of the texture. The creators are making things harder for themselves by giving up half of their workspace to something that will end up being invisible in the end! Think of how much more detail could be squeezed in if the edges of the UVs were matched up and no space was wasted on what is essentially dead space. 
Marsupial
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2008 February 22, 21:51:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

For example, with the Mono kitchen set, the files in muranomobilia site were in size as follow:
murano_mono_airpump.package    360.753
murano_mono_chair.package           176.494
murano_mono_counter01.package   485.265
murano_mono_counter02.package   521.356
murano_mono_counter03.package   531.801
And in TSR they are only:
murano_mono_airpump.package    190.459
murano_mono_chair.package       31.550
murano_mono_counter01.package   63.478
murano_mono_counter02.package   311.753
murano_mono_counter03.package   84.676

If those numbers are correct, then the files were simply run through the Compressorizer.  I know this because I had those original, giant files and ran them through the Compressorizer myself a few months ago to put them in my game.  My files are the same size as those on TSR.  And they look just as good in-game now as they ever did.  This is why the Compressorizer rocks.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: