PMBD PMBD
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 03, 18:49:12

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
138712 Posts in 1637 Topics by 5282 Members
Latest Member: AlexanderPistoletov
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  PMBD
|-+  The Pirate Ship
| |-+  ARR!
| | |-+  Look at what I made and worship me! (Post Your Creations)
0 Members and 4 Chinese Bots are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 149 150 [151] 152 153 ... 199 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Look at what I made and worship me! (Post Your Creations)  (Read 745326 times)
redisenchanted
ARR!

View Profile
Re: Look at what I made and worship me! (Post Your Creations)
« Reply #2250 on: 2008 March 16, 14:36:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Love the piratey recolors, CaptainJojoba got a link?
Ensign EO
ARR!

Not a cash cow.

View Profile
« Reply #2251 on: 2008 March 16, 14:38:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think the point is that the phorum isn't meant to be used for every single update at a site--that is, people know how to check out other places like MTS2 and people's personal Sims sites for updates, so they don't need to be reminded over here every single time that the site has been updated.  Nouk doesn't have to post in this thread to tell us that her site has been updated--I check it regularly well enough on my own.  I don't come to this thread to see if a site has updated--I go to the site itself.

Same thing happened with Te--for a while he was posting everything he made in this thread, and eventually he was asked to stop.  I personally don't mind a wee bit of advertising (and I don't think most people do), but I think I'd rather it go something like, "Hey, I made this awesome dress.  You can get it, and some other goodies I updated with it, here [insert link]."  There's an element of surprise, you know?  Wink

And besides, Cala has mentioned lots of times the fact that people do click links in signatures (I click them!  And I download way too much Wink), so they don't really need their own thread to advertise their stuff--at most, they just need to post an item or two in this thread, have a link in their signature, and then carry about the phorum as they normally would.
calalily
ARR!

Belili, wife of Ningishzida - or Kali for short

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2252 on: 2008 March 16, 14:40:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think you could make all kinds of varieties and people would love them Jojoba - particularly here. Nice corset though.

I guess I don't understand one thing about Dachs/PuppyGirl loading a mediafire link to her stuff being bad.  If she'd loaded up the photos, and said hey I just made this stuff, what do you think, and someone had said, yeah, I like that, gimme the link, it would have been fine, but since she provided the link ahead of time, it's not ok? 

Would it be an unacceptable thing to have a small thread that had something like, here are my finished creations..arrrr!  or something, where people could post the stuff they'd finished (with a link to it) and you could comment and download it?  I guess I just don't understand all of the issue. 

I don't think she intended to spam the board or something, She just seemed excited to share what she'd done.  /end my 2 cents.

Well, firstly, the thread was started for honest feedback and critiques, rather than sharing stuff.  This isn't actually a content site, but rather an activist forum, as stated in the FAQ.  If we all posted our updates here, instead of uploading them to our respective sites, this forum would get pretty unweildy - it's not as if dachs or puppy-girl is the only creator here. Pescado would shut it down and then those who wanted honest feedback and critiques would then not have a thread in which to acquire them.  Pescado would probably shut down a thread for finished creations - but someone *not me* is welcome to try it out.

Not to mention that occasional excitement would be fine - but in the last week there have been 7 uploads in this thread by one person alone, who admits that she does it because she doesn't want to update her site.  That's what MTS2, Insim or DL Mulsow's is for - not PMBD.  But if it's going to turn into an update thread for one or all sites, then warn me now and I will just "mark as read".  I go elsewhere for my updates - not here.

Note that this was a problem in the past as well with others, and they got the same comments:

Also...please don't post EVERY SINGLE THING you are releasing here!

The intention of this thread is to do a bit of showing off of new and different projects, get help and criticism. It's not a shameless self-promotion thread.

A better way to promote your stuff is to put a link in your sig; trust me, people click on them like mad.

Um, you already ARE promoting it. Look at your sig line.

ETA: There are almost as many finds lists as tehre are forums. If you can't get promoted anywhere else, perhaps there's something wrong with what you're doing?

Visit Calalilysims

To Hotel - never a problem - and I knew it would be a valid thing. Kiss My love to you too - come find me one day. Cheesy
chemistrycourtney
Pirate

Perhaps I have.... a concordance!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2253 on: 2008 March 16, 18:48:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ok, so the problem is kind of a combination of things.  Perhaps what originally was just a look at this picture what do you think, has kind of shifted a tiny bit to a file here a file there... but realistically, it would be better to keep all of that to a minimum.  I can see how this particular forum could become unwieldy if everyone started uploading... stuff.

Partially because I like the hypothetical game, but mostly cause it has personal application: for the occasional person that doesn't have a website, and posts a picture of something they have made, would it be better to PM anyone that requests it (on the off chance someone does request it?) 

I agree that first and foremost this is an activist web forum.  It just seems that there are so many talented creators here, maybe not a post your creations for download post since that is more file-sharey, but a Post your website updates?  I don't know.  I find a new site every time I click on a signature, but there are just so many of you guys, I don't think I'd ever manage to keep up with who has updated when.  But at the end of the day, that is my own issue, not anyone elses.  I hope that I've been concise and not too wandery in this post. 

Here is my contribution to the look what I've been making.  These 3 pictures. These shirts aren't loaded anywhere, not even mediafire, But I was wondering what the honest opinion of my shirt ridiculousness is.  It is using HP's untucked shirt mesh.  I would totally wear these shirts if I owned them.  Most of it is a homage to my childhood television programs.  I made a Divine shirt too, but I just noticed it's not in these pictures.

« Last Edit: 2008 March 16, 18:56:03 by chemistrycourtney » Logged

Playing in the GIMP is my favorite thing.
Saraswati
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #2254 on: 2008 March 16, 19:01:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thank you so much Courtney.. Smiley

I think the rule of thumb for this thread is just to post your stuff at no greater a rate than anyone else on the thread.. It's kinda like us all sharing as equals and looking for some honest feedback, but if one of us posts more than others it doesn't fit with the tone of the site.. at least that's the way I understand it.

Captain Jojoba.. that outfit is fabulous.. there's only one little thing and you can ignore me if you want Smiley... the skirt looks like it needs more folds to mimic the shape of a skirt like that. Even if she had a big petticoat under there, which is likely, the skirt will likely have soft folds at the waistline.. because if fabric is huge at one end, it has to gather somewhere. and it will likely have a slight "pleat" effect at the other.. There's an easy way to do this why won't drive you crazy and will only take a few hours.

Grab one of the Maxis outfits with a big skirt like these two..

lay it as a new layer over the top of your outfit.. create another layer over the top of that.. select the shadowed areas of the outfit one by one and fill them in black, then apply Guassian blur.. add another layer, select the highlighted areas one by one and fill them in white.. apply Guassian blur again. Delete the Maxis outfit layer.. whola, you've nicked some layers from Maxis.. Wink

If this is confusing at all, Courtney, Markus and I are working on a tute for this technique with the Gimp on my home forum and you're welcome to come see us there and get some detailed help...

And everyone is free to yell at me if this is outside the intent of this thread. Smiley

and Courtney, I like those.. the shirts are pretty much perfect.

My home sites are  http://www.sublimesims.net/ and
Reclaim Your Game http://reclaimyourgame.com/
chemistrycourtney
Pirate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2255 on: 2008 March 16, 19:03:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

woohoo!  Gaussian blur FTW!  lol

Saraswati
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #2256 on: 2008 March 16, 19:06:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

*chuckling* I figured if we're saying "this is the quick way" I'm not going to turn round and bore CaptainJojoba with how I do it.. Your method works just fine if you just wanna do something quick.. I'm just a control freak.. Wink

keirra
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #2257 on: 2008 March 16, 19:16:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sara, I think the advice you gave is exactly what this thread is intended for.  People want honest opinions and help.  Just Baaaing like sheep (it's what I do, because I don't know how to create) is all fine and good, but, honest opinions from people just makes stuff better.

I'd tell you to go to Hell, but I work there and don't want to see you every day.
Saraswati
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #2258 on: 2008 March 16, 19:25:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ah thank you Keirra, I feel a bit reassured.. This is one of the few places I'd even attempt to offer this sort of help. I think it's just because a lot of my early stuff was horribly two-dimensional and Tig and a couple of others took the time out to help me get better. I think everyone that wants that chance, deserves it.

chemistrycourtney
Pirate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2259 on: 2008 March 16, 19:32:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think that creating is a process.  You certainly have to start somewhere.  I like to dabble in a bit of everything.  By default that makes me not awesome at anything in particular, but passable at most things.  (making meshes aside.  Don't know how to do that.) 

The only improvement I've had is from taking apart things other people have done, and figuring out what made it look so nice.  Way back when I wish someone had been like that's nice, but if you *insert helpful critique here* it would be better.  That would have been nice.  Of course, that would have required someone to live inside of my bodyshop program, since I keep the stuff I make pretty much to myself.  Yeah. 

I think gaussian blur is handy, and easy, also it's nice for pattern layers, since it won't distort the pattern.   Cheesy

Pottymouth
Paden
ARR!

Great Cat of no mercy.

View Profile
« Reply #2260 on: 2008 March 16, 19:33:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

CC, Sara, and CaptainJojoba, I like all of what you've shown and want it. CC, if you ever upload those shirts, I will download them because I grew up with those same icons in my youth! Yay!

The tea is not fit to drink; it's been stewed and is old.
calalily
ARR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2261 on: 2008 March 16, 19:37:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Partially because I like the hypothetical game, but mostly cause it has personal application: for the occasional person that doesn't have a website, and posts a picture of something they have made, would it be better to PM anyone that requests it (on the off chance someone does request it?) 

I don't see any issue with a person posting like Saraswati did - if there's one thing, and you want feedback, to see how well it will be received etc. It's another to treat it like an upload site for whatever reason - previous posters have done it to drive traffic to their sites, and started spamming up every other damn thread in the phorum.

I agree that first and foremost this is an activist web forum.  It just seems that there are so many talented creators here, maybe not a post your creations for download post since that is more file-sharey, but a Post your website updates? 

Well, no one can keep up with the amount of content churned out by all the sims sites - best not to try.  Cheesy But just from my signature here, PMBD is second on the list of my referrers - and I'm sure that lots of people visit other people's sites. As far as a post your website updates - someone *not me* is welcome to test the patience of the Fat Obstreperous Jerk - but there is always bines sims revue - ya know, where you go to get daily updates  Wink .

I like those t-shirts - really nice - remind me of what I wore when I was a kid.  Grin I'd critique them but there's nothing wrong with them.

Visit Calalilysims

To Hotel - never a problem - and I knew it would be a valid thing. Kiss My love to you too - come find me one day. Cheesy
Saraswati
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #2262 on: 2008 March 16, 19:41:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Courtney, I think I'm actually excited.. I think it will take a couple more days to get the tute finished, but then we'll have a finished version you and Mark can pick over and dissect.. like the technique mentioned above but with more detail, and with pictures.. Cheesy

I actually think the best friends we can ever have are the people who are honest and kind.. It's all in the how.. recognise the good and the bad. If we're big people and we take in what they say, we get better at what we do. It's the friend who holds our head when we're ill from too much alcohol but tells us off the next day for not looking after ourselves.. Wink

chemistrycourtney
Pirate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2263 on: 2008 March 16, 19:46:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

but there is always bines sims revue - ya know, where you go to get daily updates  Wink .

I like those t-shirts - really nice - remind me of what I wore when I was a kid.  Grin I'd critique them but there's nothing wrong with them.

No, I don't know.  That seems helpful though.  Bines Sims Revue.  I'll google that. 

Thanks for the shirt comments.  I feel that more throwbacks to childhood should be done.  In logo clothing.  Yeppers.  I have something like, 20 more I want to do, but the collection is already getting massive.  I'm sure I'll do them all, then I'll load them to like mediafire or something, and send you the link.  Wink

@Saraswati:  Well, that is exciting!  I've been working on converting that one photoskinning tute from Photoshop to GIMP, but with practical application to what we are doing.  It is slow going, with all the screenshots, but I'll get there.  lol.   Grin

calalily
ARR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2264 on: 2008 March 16, 19:48:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

http://www.binessimsrevue.de/ - webmasters send their updates there - free and pay.  I send mine there.  Smiley

Visit Calalilysims

Pages: 1 ... 149 150 [151] 152 153 ... 199 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: