PMBD PMBD
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 07, 16:25:08

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
138712 Posts in 1637 Topics by 5282 Members
Latest Member: AlexanderPistoletov
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  PMBD
|-+  The Pirate Ship
| |-+  ARR!
| | |-+  Retail Sims
0 Members and 2 Chinese Bots are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 28 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Retail Sims  (Read 101779 times)
Motoki
ARR!

View Profile
Retail Sims
« Reply #180 on: 2006 November 07, 03:20:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Credit Schmedit. Wow, some faceless person connected to the internet knows that someone by the handle of 'Moondoggy' made that dress they downloaded. Yep, that's some real fame for you.

The issue, I contend, is still the same. Manipulation. Pulling a file or a site down punishing the whole community to try and manipulate them into attacking a person or site. It's childish and obnoxious.

In Communist China Peggy's hairs cut you!
Xerolize
ARR!

View Profile
Retail Sims
« Reply #181 on: 2006 November 07, 03:24:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

most of the time i can spot a creators item with or without a credit. crediting to me is nice but isn't a must.
Motoki
ARR!

View Profile
Retail Sims
« Reply #182 on: 2006 November 07, 03:31:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I agree, I've always felt like it's the courteous thing to do as someone reposting or linking to content, but as a creator I'm not going to stamp my feet and demand it and find it extremely distasteful when others do that. Who cares about internet fame? If I make something and share it it's because I get enjoyment out of it and want others to as well.

Also, when you are dealing with a forum that quite literally has a large portion of users who are young children, you are going to get some who misbehave. No one would find it appropriate that some 40something year old stranger is screaming their head off at someone else's kid irl (Okay well maybe Pescado would), and yet that's exactly what goes on online sometimes.

I'm by no means excusing the kids' behaviors, but to some extent kids are going to be kids and the adults should act like adults as well. Tongue

Aquamarine
ARR!

View Profile
Retail Sims
« Reply #183 on: 2006 November 07, 03:48:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This thread made me laugh too hard earlier to be able to properly express my feelings on the subject so I'll do that now!

Quote from: "Motoki"
Credit Schmedit. Wow, some faceless person connected to the internet knows that someone by the handle of 'Moondoggy' made that dress they downloaded. Yep, that's some real fame for you.

The issue, I contend, is still the same. Manipulation. Pulling a file or a site down punishing the whole community to try and manipulate them into attacking a person or site. It's childish and obnoxious.

"Fame" is a subjective concept. These people are so needy and pathetic that they'll take it in any form they can get it. Negative feedback for their behavior just spurs them on, so it's likely she's eating this thread up. Also, It's like a rule of the internet that x amount of attention whores must be present at all times. This includes anything from camwhores to people like HChangrala or whatever her name is. The percentage varies depending on what you're dealing with.

Unfortunately, it seems like the Sims 2 fandom has a disproportionate amount of asinine individuals within it. I don't know whether it's the fact that this game has a tendency to attract incredibly stupid people or the core group of 'tards in the community are so loud and obnoxious that you can't miss them so it SEEMS as if their numbers are large when they're not. Whatever. Either way, it's quality entertainment.

Especially when one of the aforementioned morons tries to muffle the sound of their own mental frailty by quoting, of all people, Ayn Rand. Lolwaffles.

1."Here is my completely insane and barely comprehensible tirade."

2."I will paint it over to look as if I have taken some high moral ground and am a martyr to some unusual self-imposed and imaginary cause."

3."I will now become mindlessly pretentious and reference the Holy Mother of Non-Intellects as if this somehow proves I have character and masks the fact that I just took a massive shit on the internet."

As you can see, the only way this person differs from LyricLee is in step three.
Pescado
Pirate King

View Profile
Retail Sims
« Reply #184 on: 2006 November 07, 03:59:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Also, when you are dealing with a forum that quite literally has a large portion of users who are young children, you are going to get some who misbehave. No one would find it appropriate that some 40something year old stranger is screaming their head off at someone else's kid irl (Okay well maybe Pescado would), and yet that's exactly what goes on online sometimes.

What are you talking about? Screaming at those damn kids to get off the lawn is a time-honored activity running back to when lawns were first invented, shortly after the invention of dirt.

Give a man a fire, and you warm him for a day. Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
seapup
Landlubber

View Profile
Retail Sims
« Reply #185 on: 2006 November 07, 04:02:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

What paysites do becomes quite clear to me if I substitute the file extension .package with the file extension .mp3.
I understand that EA doesn't want to touch this because being able to mod content helps their sales and exposure of the game. I don't consider this to be shaky legal ground,after all the RIAA has no problem enforcing it,just a choice by EA to take no action.
However,threatening to spread virii over the internet is highly actionable and as far as I'm concerned she has threatened my computer. I shall have to look into this further,I think I'm pissed LOL.
jesserocket
ARR!

View Profile
Retail Sims
« Reply #186 on: 2006 November 07, 04:03:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Aquamarine"

1."Here is my completely insane and barely comprehensible tirade."

2."I will paint it over to look as if I have taken some high moral ground and am a martyr to some unusual self-imposed and imaginary cause."

3."I will now become mindlessly pretentious and reference the Holy Mother of Non-Intellects as if this somehow proves I have character and masks the fact that I just took a massive shit on the internet."

As you can see, the only way this person differs from LyricLee is in step three.

Yey!!! It's like being a Dumb Pychotic Attention Whore for Dummies!!

arr Harr Fiddledeedee,
Being a Pirate is alright with me!
Do what you want cos a Pirate is free!
YOU ARE A PIRATE!
Motoki
ARR!

View Profile
Retail Sims
« Reply #187 on: 2006 November 07, 04:10:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Pescado"

What are you talking about? Screaming at those damn kids to get off the lawn is a time-honored activity running back to when lawns were first invented, shortly after the invention of dirt.

You actually have a lawn?  Smiley

Sherry
ARR!

View Profile WWW
Retail Sims
« Reply #188 on: 2006 November 07, 04:30:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Pescado"

You actually have a lawn?  Smiley

I assumed he did.  Where else is he supposed to put the bodies?

Immolation is the sincerest form of flattery -- Crow
liegenschonheit
Corsair
ARR!

View Profile
Retail Sims
« Reply #189 on: 2006 November 07, 04:40:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Of course Pescado has a lawn. Thats where he buries the mines.

I really don't understand the whole "omg credit!" issue. Sure, I appreciate it as a creator when people don't claim to have made my stuff, or drop a link, but I don't raise holy hell when they don't. And as much as I hate the toxic landfill they call the exchange, I know my stuff ends up there. So what? But I'm pretty sure I've ranted about all this before. Credit is overrated, as is all this "ask my permission before you breathe on my precious creation!" crap.

I liked HR, before this whole mess. I sent her a polite and cordial email expressing my opinion on paysites and telling her that her site is not really a target, she only has one donation set available and we have bigger fish to fry. I also told her that filesharers really have no interest in destroying anyone's creations or claiming them as their own, they just don't want to pay for files that legally can't be sold. I never got a reply.

My policy in this whole dramafest of a cause has been to take the high road and not make things personal, unless someone really, really deserves it. I'm not really that good at being a raging bitch anyway. However, I have to say it. HR has totally gone fucking psycho. This Ayn Rand quoting, bullshit  spewing tyrade complete with hacker threats and second-grade level name calling just makes me cringe. It's embarassing, seriously. I hate to even be called a "Creator" when this kind of stuff champions the cause.

It is kind of a pity she's decided to go this route, as I do enjoy some of her sets very much. However, I think trying to hold downloaders hostage by demanding you play her way or she'll take her toys and go home is a bit hypocritical, seeing as she accused this site of basically forcing her hand. As far as I know, no one here ever even contacted her. She can do whatever she wants, make as many paysets as she wants. We'll just keep doing what we do.

It's amazing though, how many people point to this site as being a bunch of thieving low-lives who live to stir up trouble for hard working creators, when we'd be perfectly happy to be ignored by them completely. Also, I don't think they, in their 'righteous indignation' really understand that by raging against us, they are drawing attention to our cause and more people join us everyday.

Digital Perversion ** Garden of Shadows
Have you hugged your darker side lately?
simminggramma
ARR!

View Profile
Retail Sims
« Reply #190 on: 2006 November 07, 04:45:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I agree with seapup as posted above.  I've never been the outgoing type to jump into a controversy--basically I'm just a shy, middle-aged grandmother . . . and, well, right is right and wrong is wrong.

I know the content has been removed but the main page is still there with the ads.  So . . .
I emailed Google and sent them a copy of a portion of HChangeri's tirade.  I received a reply stating that to uphold their quality and reputation they would look into the matter.  

We'll see.
coliss
ARR!

View Profile
Retail Sims
« Reply #191 on: 2006 November 07, 04:53:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "simminggramma"
I know the content has been removed but the main page is still there with the ads.  So . . .
I emailed Google and sent them a copy of a portion of HChangeri's tirade.  I received a reply stating that to uphold their quality and reputation they would look into the matter.  

We'll see.

Oh my. :lol:

When I used to make graphics, I used to be quite "aggressive" about crediting... but now that I think about it, it's just stupid. I still think it is frustrating when you see your stuff being used by someone else claiming to have made it.

It is overrated, I agree. People just forget that the point of posting their items is about sharing. I'd be more than happy if people use my stuff (though I've only made one thing for the Sims 2, hah).

Life goes on.
Sherry
ARR!

View Profile WWW
Retail Sims
« Reply #192 on: 2006 November 07, 04:59:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "liegenschonheit"

It's amazing though, how many people point to this site as being a bunch of thieving low-lives who live to stir up trouble for hard working creators, when we'd be perfectly happy to be ignored by them completely. Also, I don't think they, in their 'righteous indignation' really understand that by raging against us, they are drawing attention to our cause and more people join us everyday.

What I think is more amazing is they fail to understand that creators are and can be filesharers.  You create, I create, and somehow we both ended up sharing.  

From someone who has been defending paysites for years you will find that almost everyone who hops onboard to tell us how bad we are will also mention the same old sob story about how hard creators work and we don't undertand.

They'll sell us these lines about time and effort but many filesharers do the same things, and many of us find way to distribute our work without costing anyone a penny.

Immolation is the sincerest form of flattery -- Crow
Surelyfunke
Pirate

View Profile
Retail Sims
« Reply #193 on: 2006 November 07, 06:41:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Eve, you must excuse my ignorance, but which site do you belong to?
Lackey
ARR!

View Profile
Retail Sims
« Reply #194 on: 2006 November 07, 06:48:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Eve"
Ok, I am one of the sites that is having my pay files distributed here. To be honest I was not worried about it at all. From day 1 I knew my meshes and donation files would be shared and actually feel quite honoured that people thought enough of the files to bother sharing! lolol

I also didn't bother downloading any of the files being distributed because I do not have any other files in my game but my meshes. I do not see the point because I don't play the game, I just make meshes Smiley

I do however think it is quite wrong to "slam" all sites who offer sets for donation, not all of us are against file sharing and jump up and down about it. What site do I have? nunya!! lololol

I just have to say, this is refreshing. Good for you.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 28 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: