PMBD PMBD
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 07, 08:41:31

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
138712 Posts in 1637 Topics by 5282 Members
Latest Member: AlexanderPistoletov
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  PMBD
|-+  The Pirate Ship
| |-+  ARR!
| | |-+  Retail Sims
0 Members and 2 Chinese Bots are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 28 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Retail Sims  (Read 101769 times)
DelMita
Landlubber

View Profile
I added my two cents
« Reply #165 on: 2006 November 07, 00:05:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Really a little bit borrowed from most sentiments here...

The EULA for EA clearly states that EA Games owns the copyright of any items created with the code they used to make the Sims. They did however give creators permissions to accept money to cover their bandwidth costs. Unfortunately a lot of creators have abused this system.

Truthfully, what creators who charge for donations sets are doing is against the EULA of EA Games and therefore a grayshade of illegal. Pescado received the files from people who donated money to receive the files. He did not steal them. He is sharing what was shared with him.

I agree with Sharon, that is is humorous and hypocritical of the Retail Sims site owner the have abused the Krispy Kreme copyright, but now that her set is available for free, she cries foul and throws a temper tantrum.

What Pescado is doing causes no harm except to people who have abused the system. These people do not work for EA Games, they aren't employees of EA and therefore should not treat a hobby as employment.

Do these creators have business licenses? Do they pay taxes on their received donations?

If they aren't careful they will wake up someone larger than EA Games at the door. The taxman. Heaven help you if the taxman makes a visit.

As a side note. The owner of Retail Sims may have taken her stuff down, but she made sure to leave her Paypal button up didn't she?

Just a thought...
Aquamarine
ARR!

View Profile
Retail Sims
« Reply #166 on: 2006 November 07, 00:15:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

An pseudo-intellectual, certifiably insane, mediocre content-producing paysite owner with a hacker husband employed by the US government?

This whole thread is made of lulz.
Nothlyn
Landlubber

View Profile
Retail Sims
« Reply #167 on: 2006 November 07, 00:34:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've been lurking around here for a few days and I have to say this whole situation is just hilarious, I never thought people would get so upset over this but I guess I was wrong (not that that's a bad thing Tongue )

I have to agree with what's already been said here about what's-her-face, I went to her site to see what the fuss was all about and I can't say I saw anything there that would make me jump for joy (or for my credit card, whichever) I also find it interesting how all these people act like JM personally went over and took a physical possession or her only copy (like he robbed her blind) and now she can't go on blah blah... yet I wonder how many of them have ever downloaded (illegally) MP3s or even programs that they use to make these precious items with?

seriously, I know of a modder from the TES IV community that has literally spent months worth of time creating an expansion-like mod for the community (for free) that adds a helluva lot more to the game than an outfit pack or some furniture.

but I guess I do kind of see why so many of these people get territorial, after all many users treat them like gods/goddesses because they can mesh/texture worth a damn and it goes to their heads, probably why I don't really hang out in S2 communities, they don't strike me as a genuine friendly bunch (and god forbid if I recolor someone's chair without expressed written consent or whatever nonsense it is now)

anyway, there isn't much I can add as you folks have pretty much covered it all... so thanks for pissing everyone off (and giving people like me a good read)  Cheesy
JustMe
Landlubber

View Profile
Retail Sims
« Reply #168 on: 2006 November 07, 00:38:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

11939 posts
Honorary Citizen
Mood: not sure......
  Posted by Jennifer on: 06-11-2006 23:45
I totally agree with Dorien and Bella, if we stop....then they would win.......I believe most of the community is honest and would not turn to such...... blah, I can't even think of the right word to descibe it/call it.....

Too many of my firends have been hurt by these people,  and it is very sad, but if we gave up, they would only get what they wanted in the first place. There really is Nothhing we can do to stop them  

aa93
The one and only big fat waffle!

2511 posts
Counter Intelligence
Mood: Feels so graphichy!
  Posted by aa93 on: 06-11-2006 23:49
mar1nka wrote:
I don't have a lot of extra money, but that doesn't mean it's ok to steal. I have to agree with the comments about the corporate theft, however.

I personally feel that an organization, like Krispy Creme, would be stupid to go after Retail Sims, because in effect, they are getting free product placement. (If they were smart, they'd hire really talented people to make meshes / textures and distribute them freely to promote their brand.)

That being said, using any logo without permission is a copyright violation. So it's kinda like the pot calling the kettle black.

I just went to the RS site, and everything is gone. Such a shame.

This reminds me of what happened to Sims Connection when there is this Starbucks Set used without any permission that is pay.
And yes, the site is cleared except for the " Who is John Galt? " frame Edited 06-11-2006 23:54:14 by aa93

kikkert1
Triple Pink Naughty - Boys lovin` - Chasing The Holy Lightbulb, Preferably With A Whip * And Wants A Long Title This Time (sigh) * Troublemaking wannabe Tammara Yappediyapyap `I want that to!!` Pink Doodoo Sweet Mommy Waffle

3175 posts
Art Forger
Mood: stalking Mira
  Posted by kikkert1 on: 07-11-2006 00:11
In a way, it all seems very childish to me. First of all that donationsets are being offered for free, but also the attitude of some creators. I can understand it's not nie to see your hard work being offered for free, but punishing everyone for what some of them do is not a mature way of handling things  

DelMita
3 posts
Citizen
New member  Posted by DelMita on: 07-11-2006 00:58
The EULA for EA clearly states that EA Games owns the copyright of any items created with the code they used to make the Sims. They did however give creators permissions to accept money to cover their bandwidth costs. Unfortunately a lot of creators have abused this system.

Truthfully, what creators who charge for donations sets are doing is against the EULA of EA Games and therefore a grayshade of illegal. Pescado received the files from people who donated money to receive the files. He did not steal them. He is sharing what was shared with him.

I agree with Sharon, that is is humorous and hypocritical of the Retail Sims site owner the have abused the Krispy Kreme copyright, but now that her set is available for free, she cries foul and throws a temper tantrum.

What Pescado is doing causes no harm except to people who have abused the system. These people do not work for EA Games, they aren't employees of EA and therefore should not treat a hobby as employment.

Do these creators have business licenses? Do they pay taxes on their received donations?

If they aren't careful they will wake up someone larger than EA Games at the door. The taxman. Heaven help you if the taxman makes a visit.

As a side note. The owner of Retail Sims may have taken her stuff down, but she made sure to leave her Paypal button up didn't she?

Just a thought...

aa93

2511 posts
Counter Intelligence
  Posted by aa93 on: 07-11-2006 01:07
DelMita wrote:

Just a thought...

I know what you mean, but then people who download from Pescado is stealing, right? And that HChangeri from Retail Sims did not leave anything behind except the ' Who is John Gale? " background

nivaya
1 posts
Citizen
New member  Posted by nivaya on: 07-11-2006 01:21
aa93 wrote:
[...]

I know what you mean, but then people who download from Pescado is stealing, right? And that HChangeri from Retail Sims did not leave anything behind except the ' Who is John Gale? " background

Not really, downloads from Pescado are hosted by him, to be downloaded for free and thus not costing the creator anything, nor leaving them out of pocket. If, for example, he was distributing usernames and passwords, that would perhaps be stealing, as it would be detracting from the creator's bandwidth and so on.

DelMita
3 posts
Citizen
New member  Posted by DelMita on: 07-11-2006 01:25
aa93 wrote:
And that HChangeri from Retail Sims did not leave anything behind except the ' Who is John Gale? " background

Scroll down her rant. To the left side is her PayPal button. It's only that far down because her rant is so long.

Another point. Her threatening to sic Black Hats on Pescado isn't illegal, but she is talking about illegal activities. While Pescado may have stepped on some toes he has done nothing illegal. Much less threaten anyone.

Edited 07-11-2006 01:27:48 by DelMita

aa93

2511 posts
Counter Intelligence
  Posted by aa93 on: 07-11-2006 01:26
nivaya wrote:
[...]

Not really, downloads from Pescado are hosted by him, to be downloaded for free and thus not costing the creator anything, nor leaving them out of pocket. If, for example, he was distributing usernames and passwords, that would perhaps be stealing, as it would be detracting from the creator's bandwidth and so on.

But then its not right to host other people's files as yours. When things are yours, its not the right way to take it and say "Oh! This is mine!" And further more, most stuff do have copyrights on them

Daria
Sexy Squishy Knackered Knickers, Artsy Canvas of His Own Design, Thailand (and middle-aged woman) Loving, At His Wits End Insomniac Waffle

6836 posts
Acclaimed Muralist

Posted by Daria on: 07-11-2006 01:26
just to point out, that paypal button is not to donate its one of those info links to tell people what paypal is and how to use it, theres nothing about donating to this site at all.

DelMita
3 posts
Citizen
New member  Posted by DelMita on: 07-11-2006 01:29
You are right. I just assumed. But it is still here.

Daria
Sexy Squishy Knackered Knickers, Artsy Canvas of His Own Design, Thailand (and middle-aged woman) Loving, At His Wits End Insomniac Waffle

6836 posts
Acclaimed Muralist

Posted by Daria on: 07-11-2006 01:31
DelMita wrote:
You are right. I just assumed. But it is still here.

well i dont see anything wrong with that as long as she didnt have the unmittigated gaul to accept further donations, which of course would be ridiculas.

sickpuppy
ARR!

View Profile
Retail Sims
« Reply #169 on: 2006 November 07, 00:41:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This is just too funny! What a great read. Thanks!
jesserocket
ARR!

View Profile
Retail Sims
« Reply #170 on: 2006 November 07, 01:14:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

DelMita
7 posts
Citizen

Post Posted by DelMita on: Nov, 7 2006 0:34 AM
I wouldn't know if she does or not but I would be surprised if she turned them down, just because that is the way of human nature.
ProfilePMQuoteReply
aa93

2516 posts
Counter Intelligence

Post Posted by aa93 on: Nov, 7 2006 0:41 AM
DelMita wrote:

Just a thought...

Another argumentative point, why do Pescado share donation files from Websites that only earn money to pay theur bandwidth?

DelMita
7 posts
Citizen

Post Posted by DelMita on: Nov, 7 2006 0:42 AM
Since you edited, now I have to edit too.

Pescado is relieving them of their obligation to pay bandwidth costs. He is paying for their bandwidth for them. If it is only bandwidth they are worried about, then why should it matter?
Edited 07-11-2006 01:46:16 by DelMita
ProfilePMQuoteReply
nivaya
3 posts
Citizen

Post Posted by nivaya on: Nov, 7 2006 0:42 AM
aa93 wrote:
[...]

But then its not right to host other people's files as yours. When things are yours, its not the right way to take it and say "Oh! This is mine!" And further more, most stuff do have copyrights on them

This is the point, Pescado is making no attempt whatsoever to claim he made any of these things, and frankly, having seen the few things he has designed () I don't suppose anyone would be silly enough to believe him if he did, everything he hosts there is given proper credit to its creators. I happen to be firmly against plagarism (sp?), I think it's disgusting to take someone else's work, and claim that everything that has gone into it was done by yourself, but that isn't what is going on.

(edit: Sorry DelMita, didn't notice you'd said virtually the same thing!! >.<
Edited 07-11-2006 01:44:12 by nivaya
ProfilePMEditQuoteReply
aa93

2516 posts
Counter Intelligence

Post Posted by aa93 on: Nov, 7 2006 0:44 AM
DelMita wrote:
I don't.

Ok, changed that post to Pescado
ProfilePMQuoteReply
DelMita
7 posts
Citizen

Post Posted by DelMita on: Nov, 7 2006 0:48 AM
No worries to either one of you. Repetitiveness isn't necessarily a bad thing, and I edited my post to reflect your edit.
ProfilePMQuoteReply
aa93

2516 posts
Counter Intelligence

Post Posted by aa93 on: Nov, 7 2006 0:54 AM
DelMita wrote:
No worries to either one of you. Repetitiveness isn't necessarily a bad thing, and I edited my post to reflect your edit.

Filesharing is right ONLY when the site-owner or whoever it is gives you or anybody the permission to do so. If you don't its just simply wrong.

You might want to check our Sims1/2 FSF section as a reference with that site that shares donation files

Edited 07-11-2006 01:56:43 by aa93
ProfilePMQuoteReply
nivaya
3 posts
Citizen

Post Posted by nivaya on: Nov, 7 2006 0:05 AM
I think a lot of the problem is, people are only hearing about this through HChangeri's rage, and aren't getting a full understanding of the other side. She uses a lot of words like 'punishment', 'stealing', and 'second-raters', none of which are anyone's intention, nor applicable to what is ACTUALLY going on.

Another thing is, filesharing has been going on ALL THE TIME between friends, Pescado is not the first person to do this, he is simply one of the most open about it, and this is because he believes strongly in what he's doing, he's not just doing it because he woke up one day and thought 'I know, I'll upset people for fun...'...well, I'm sure he did do that, but not about this. It's not as if nobody's ever been on MSN and said 'Dude, I just got this donation file', and their friend said 'Sweet, can I have it?', and the first person said 'Yeah, here you go'...This has been going on since the first payfiles came online. It's just been done in private.
ProfilePMEditQuoteReply
DelMita
7 posts
Citizen

Post Posted by DelMita on: Nov, 7 2006 0:05 AM
I've not done anything more than to offer another view of the situation. I'm not saying who is right or who is wrong.

The only points I'm trying to get across is the only one that owns any of the CC that is created for the game is EA, and that the owner of Retail Sims is throwing a tantrum.

arr Harr Fiddledeedee,
Being a Pirate is alright with me!
Do what you want cos a Pirate is free!
YOU ARE A PIRATE!
Sherry
ARR!

View Profile WWW
Retail Sims
« Reply #171 on: 2006 November 07, 02:10:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Lackey"
Quote from: "ElmoLovesCyclops"
Quote from: "BlueSoup"

Now...back to the matter at hand. RetailSims went overboard with announcing to the whole sims world that she was depressed and so on. However what she is doing with her site is perfectly reasonable. I've read somewhere that she's going to make the content, upload pics but not upload the files. Which honestly, if i was a paysite owner i'd do too.

That doesn't sound at all ridiculous to you?  Making content and sharing pics so people can then beg her for them, only for her to say, "Sorry, I found out a site is sharing my content so until they take it down, I'm holding my shit hostage."

That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.  If she wants to make content, fine.  If she wants to accept donations, also fine.  I'm sure she'll get some.  Good creators do (not that I even know if she's any good, I don't have any of her stuff in my game - well, I did download it all for future sharing if she stays gone) get donations.  But because someone is sharing one thing she has on her site, she's taking her toys and going home (sorry twojeffs, I love this saying too much).  What a baby, and it doesn't mean this site will stop sharing her stuff.  In fact, I daresay it means that Pescado will put up all her free stuff too under a special "Unavailable" section.

She's not benefitting anyone but Pescado.  One down, how many now to go?

I think her point in doing it is not because she is having this tiny bit of money taken away from her but that Pescado is now targeting all the people who are genuinely offering a small donation option for bandwidth. Pescado may say that he's doing her a favour but not every sims site wants to run under Pescado just so they can have free bandwidth.

You are part of the reason the world is so polluted with morons. Please dont reproduce. You come get all the files and I also noticed that you joined SFV and then do everything you can to slam the people that are handing you the files. It is irritating to say the least. I would not try that shit at SFV, you wont last if you do.

LOL are we that bad?

Simbella's to me is probably the poster child for the absolute worst site in the sim community.  If there was one site I would love to destroy it would be them, hands down.  If you have no idea why I am saying this, try spending 10 minutes in their forced asskissing forum and then try telling me you don't feel like kicking a puppy.  I can guareentee you will, and I love puppies.

Immolation is the sincerest form of flattery -- Crow
jesserocket
ARR!

View Profile
Retail Sims
« Reply #172 on: 2006 November 07, 02:25:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yeah, that's why I just can't be bothered to continue arguing there...it's a den of sheep and ass-lickers, with the requisite couple of terriers there to defend them...>.<

arr Harr Fiddledeedee,
Being a Pirate is alright with me!
Do what you want cos a Pirate is free!
YOU ARE A PIRATE!
fourohfourerror
ARR!

View Profile
Retail Sims
« Reply #173 on: 2006 November 07, 02:34:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

it's a den of sheep and ass-lickers, with the requisite couple of terriers there to defend them...>.<

Just reading those three pages makes me want to vomit.  Projectile vomit.  All over their site.

ealth is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.
Lackey
ARR!

View Profile
Retail Sims
« Reply #174 on: 2006 November 07, 02:37:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Sherry"
Quote from: "Lackey"
Quote from: "BlueSoup"

Now...back to the matter at hand. RetailSims went overboard with announcing to the whole sims world that she was depressed and so on. However what she is doing with her site is perfectly reasonable. I've read somewhere that she's going to make the content, upload pics but not upload the files. Which honestly, if i was a paysite owner i'd do too.

That doesn't sound at all ridiculous to you?  Making content and sharing pics so people can then beg her for them, only for her to say, "Sorry, I found out a site is sharing my content so until they take it down, I'm holding my shit hostage."

That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.  If she wants to make content, fine.  If she wants to accept donations, also fine.  I'm sure she'll get some.  Good creators do (not that I even know if she's any good, I don't have any of her stuff in my game - well, I did download it all for future sharing if she stays gone) get donations.  But because someone is sharing one thing she has on her site, she's taking her toys and going home (sorry twojeffs, I love this saying too much).  What a baby, and it doesn't mean this site will stop sharing her stuff.  In fact, I daresay it means that Pescado will put up all her free stuff too under a special "Unavailable" section.

She's not benefitting anyone but Pescado.  One down, how many now to go?

I think her point in doing it is not because she is having this tiny bit of money taken away from her but that Pescado is now targeting all the people who are genuinely offering a small donation option for bandwidth. Pescado may say that he's doing her a favour but not every sims site wants to run under Pescado just so they can have free bandwidth.

You are part of the reason the world is so polluted with morons. Please dont reproduce. You come get all the files and I also noticed that you joined SFV and then do everything you can to slam the people that are handing you the files. It is irritating to say the least. I would not try that shit at SFV, you wont last if you do.

LOL are we that bad?

Simbella's to me is probably the poster child for the absolute worst site in the sim community.  If there was one site I would love to destroy it would be them, hands down.  If you have no idea why I am saying this, try spending 10 minutes in their forced asskissing forum and then try telling me you don't feel like kicking a puppy.  I can guareentee you will, and I love puppies.

Actually, no the moderators are great. The people feeding her files and getting kicked in the teeth afterwards would be the ones to run her out of town :lol: Would end up being one of those list that keeps floating to the back of the pile Cheesy
coliss
ARR!

View Profile
Retail Sims
« Reply #175 on: 2006 November 07, 02:46:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, I'm actually registred on SimBella -- a definite lurker, I think I have 3 posts -- but I don't really know how the forums are maintained, so I am not going to say anything.

I more or less read what was quoted here. I'm pretty sure most people on SimBella don't agree with our ethics -- and those who don't mind just don't say anything. Big surprise. :roll:

I don't really care if those people say that I'm an asshat or that I'm a low-life. I'm not going to cry a river.
sickpuppy
ARR!

View Profile
Retail Sims
« Reply #176 on: 2006 November 07, 02:46:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I wish that JM could get each and every one of their IPs so he could tract their movements here and on MATY. I bet they're here... at least most of those Ass-kissig-live-in-a-box-cause-mommy-told-me-to-ers.
coliss
ARR!

View Profile
Retail Sims
« Reply #177 on: 2006 November 07, 02:49:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "sickpuppy"
I wish that JM could get each and every one of their IPs so he could tract their movements here and on MATY. I bet they're here... at least most of those Ass-kissig-live-in-a-box-cause-mommy-told-me-to-ers.

Chances are that you're probably right for some people. You are your true self when you're alone and not being watched.
Motoki
ARR!

View Profile
Retail Sims
« Reply #178 on: 2006 November 07, 03:04:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "jesserocket"
Something this evil group should consider is that if they keep giving away everyone elses donation goodies, the creators are going to stop making the items...the creators stop, the group doesnt have new things to give away...they are no good with out everyones donation sets...the vicious cycle..

It amuses me that that person thinks, I dunno, that Pescado's doing this for the attention, or to et more members for his EZboard so he can rise in the Topsites, or something childish...

Well people tend to assume others think like they do and their actions are based on this. I'm guilty of it sometimes. Not acting like a immature attention whore asshat, I mean assuming others are reacting the way I would in a certain situation.

Of course they are buying into the childish manipulation tactics hook line and sinker. Some twit stamps their feet and punishes everyone over something one person did to try to turn everyone against that person the sheep just buy right into it. I've seen it happen lots of times, even with free sites. Some premadonna gets her panties in a bunch because some 10 year old inadvertently uploaded something to the exchange with their stuff it in, and they send out their little lemmings to go claw the kid's eyes out.

You know, by their logic there should be no more Sims 2 content around. The Exchange has been around as long as the game has and there has always been, continues to be and will always be stuff uploaded there from other sites both pay and free. In spite of the fact that you see people plaster "DO NOT UPLOAD TO THE EXCHANGE!!!!!" it hasn't stopped people from doing it, nor has it stopped creators from making custom content.

Thing is, if these people weren't attention whores but just really wanted to take their stuff down for good, they'd yank the whole site and leave nothing but a 404 notice. The fact that they write some huge diatribe is telling. They want the attention, which means in no way have they or will they withdrawl from the community that is giving it to them. I'd bet money when she realizes her manipulation tactics aren't having the desired effect (ie shutting down this site) she comes back to the community, thanks to an 'outpouring of support' and shows just how she's such a big person who will give her stuff away on her site anyway even in the face of people "stealing" it and then she gets more attention and the sheep praise her as a hero.  :roll:

Trust me, she knows exactly what she's doing. She's got 0 intention of going away.

In Communist China Peggy's hairs cut you!
yamikuronue
ARR!

View Profile
Retail Sims
« Reply #179 on: 2006 November 07, 03:16:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Motoki"
I've seen it happen lots of times, even with free sites. Some premadonna gets her panties in a bunch because some 10 year old inadvertently uploaded something to the exchange with their stuff it in, and they send out their little lemmings to go claw the kid's eyes out.

hey now, that's different. Most of the posts I've seen like that are where the kid claims "Luk @ dis kewl thin i made LOLZ GIMMIE BENES" on something nice, and when asked "Can you credit me because I made it?" they say "U KALNG ME A THIF I MADE IT U SUCK"

Blah, the exchange sucks majorly.

Again, it's the issue of credit. PMBD gives full credit to people for creating- just not full $$$
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 28 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: