PMBD PMBD
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 09, 21:57:04

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
138712 Posts in 1637 Topics by 5282 Members
Latest Member: AlexanderPistoletov
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  PMBD
|-+  The Pirate Ship
| |-+  ARR!
| | |-+  New site - "Downloads for a good Purpose"
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: New site - "Downloads for a good Purpose"  (Read 36395 times)
Nemui
Landlubber

View Profile
New site - "Downloads for a good Purpose"
« on: 2007 September 09, 16:55:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

another paysite! :x

http://freenet-homepage.de/bluesea/

""In cooperation with many talented Creators all over the World we present this litte homepage to you.

Now it' s up to you to help our project with a little donation. In addition you can choose from our nice download sets""

they don't even have free downloads... :?
RedLove
ARR!

Depressed.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: 2007 September 09, 17:03:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I love how they reworded it so "nicely" and how they are claiming to give it to a good cause. It's sad that they put those pics up on there page and that they claim to be with Unicef and "WWF."

We only have to pay the costs for paypal. This gives us the possibility to donate a higher amount to our supported organisations. This is also the reason why we are going to send you the sets via e-mail. This aspect helps us to save money again.

So why can't they just be free and ask for donations for Unicef. People would be more comfortable with that. This is a load of crap

karu
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2007 September 09, 17:07:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

it looks like blacky's sim zoo is a part of this as one of the member download is the same  (Toys for your Pets)  Sims in Paris also created a set at this site!

http://www.blackypanther.de/include.php?path=content/download.php&contentid=3699

Nemui
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2007 September 09, 17:13:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

they are just trying to put it in a nice way... donations are donations people.. no matter how u put it...
kristalrose
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2007 September 09, 17:18:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "karu"
it looks like blacky's sim zoo is a part of this as one of the member download is the same  (Toys for your Pets)  Sims in Paris also created a set at this site!

http://www.blackypanther.de/include.php?path=content/download.php&contentid=3699

Ummmm, I think I downloaded that set from the Booty a little while ago.   :?   I recognize the doggie toys.
JFederated
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2007 September 09, 17:20:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Love this:

"All downloads are from different creators, so we can not give guarantee that all files work. We just can say we trust our affilliates."

Sign me up.   :roll:

Erm, can't I just donate to those organizations directly my own self?  And how much of my donation goes to their 'Paypal costs'?

Maybe their intentions are good, but I don't need a middleman to donate to worthy causes.

No thank you.

Bring me a bag of Bigfoot droppings or SHUT UP!  --  Prof. Hubert Farnsworth
tgriffy
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2007 September 09, 17:24:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

There might be something there is there were some type of guarantee that the proceeds were indeed going to the stipulated charities.  As it is, I have no idea where the money is going and am forced to conclude it is a scam.

Tim
Tempest Limmerfer
ARR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: 2007 September 09, 17:38:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ummm....it says that if I download that stuff and recolor it, I can only use it on a free site.

If it's for UNICEF and such, why can't I recolor it and charge and donate there as well? Isn't that the point? I mean, if it is for charity, who cares who sends it....

And that's a bit forced. I mean, I accept no donations at all at my site, but suggest donating to a worthy, personal cause. I don't hold anything for ransom until people donate.

Conclusion: Just another paysite that looks like all these "wonderful" creators (who charge for designs) have joined in a super groovy cause to help the world. Good idea, but too late now that we all distrust paysites.

www.limmerfer.com
proudly hosting designs by : Nii

EA Games: Welcome to Pixel Hell, Bitches! (Snarky)
Feverish
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2007 September 09, 17:54:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "JFederated"

Maybe their intentions are good, but I don't need a middleman to donate to worthy causes.

No thank you.

I don't think their intentions are good. The site could be used to bring attention to charities and good causes rather than collecting the money themselves. They could release the items for free and tell the downloaders to give back and to pay it forward. Then, just put links to unicef or another charity and tell them to give them the money directly to the organization. In fact, the downloads could have conservation or charity themes. Maybe like a homeless shelter lot or signs or recycling bins or shirts with positive messages.

"Second thing: if you come out of the disabled toilet to find someone waiting on you, scream, "it's a miracle!" and dance the hell out of there."
   ~Paden
HawkGirl
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2007 September 09, 17:57:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I hope they will use the money for what they say. I was reading up on this when I ran my wildlife rescue, it costs a lot of money to raise wild animals. I usually raised between 1,000 and 2,000 wild animals every year and it would average out to about 1,000 dollars a month to keep them all fed, medications, vet bills, etc...I never asked anyone to help and you can't claim it on your taxes. If you claim to be a charity or collecting for a charity and don't use the funds for that, they will go after your throat. You'll do time in a federal pen for that. Since I took care of so many animals and it was so hard to keep volunteers they seem to think nothing to do but cuddle and love on all the little babies. They'd get burned out quick. Leaving me to do it all. Especially when they found out songbirds have to be fed every 1/2 hour. Then, just when you think your done comes the nocturnal animals. So it's almost 24 hours a day. Anyway because I had so much to do, I couldn't keep track of what went where. I did good to remember my own name at the height of the season. So I never asked for donations or filed to be a non-profit charity, even though I could have. I didn't have time to keep the records. So I pray for their sake they do just what they say they are going to do. I saw many wildlife rehabbers get in big trouble, just barely keep themselves from going to jail for collecting donations and not keeping records/receipts of where the money went.

ive every man thy ear, but few thy voice;
Take each man's censure, but reserve thy judgement.

This above all: to thine own self be true.
JFederated
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2007 September 09, 18:19:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

@ Feverish:  was going for diplomatic, but...   :wink:   But I do recall a scam from TS1 days that was a lot like this, a site taking donations for a sick child or something (memory's vague) and it turned out to be a total hoax.

There was one from TS2 also...it's on SFV somewhere.  Concerning a site (PureSims?  Birgit?  not sure) taking donations for a kids charity but pretty much pocketing every penny instead.

So - again aiming for diplomatic, heh, even if their intentions are good, they have history against them.  And common sense - there's really no decent reason I need them to donate for me or anyone when we can just donate directly.

Bring me a bag of Bigfoot droppings or SHUT UP!  --  Prof. Hubert Farnsworth
Ry
ARR!

Paden's Baked Tater

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: 2007 September 09, 18:22:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Would you be thinking of Project Hern?
Run by Libby, maybe...not sure on the gal's name. I think it had something to do with her son needing some kind of brain surgery? But she actually bought him a computer...lol. That could be way off, so don't quote me on that.
But the round table still has a thread about it...hmm...i dunno. :wink:

I'm enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination.
Imagination is more important than knowledge.
Knowledge is limited.
Imagination encircles the world.
~Einstein
alia
ARR!

Ms. Smartypants

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2007 September 09, 18:33:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "ry"
Would you be thinking of Project Hern?
Run by Libby, maybe...not sure on the gal's name. I think it had something to do with her son needing some kind of brain surgery? But she actually bought him a computer...lol.

Really? I think the name rings a bell, but I didn't know about the scam aspect... Wanna give us a short overview, Ry?

And the scammer you were talking about, JFed, is indeed Sasilia from PureSims. She claimed she'd give the money to some children's charity but she didn't. She's never showed any kind of a receipt even though people have asked for it repeatedly, instead she just called people sheeple when they asked to see the receipt.

God, she is despicable.  :evil:

SunSun a.k.a. Shannis

I aten't dead yet.
Ry
ARR!

Paden's Baked Tater

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: 2007 September 09, 19:26:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, shit.
I can't find anything solid on it, but here's the gist of what I found.
Libby opened a paysite in order to use the donations for help paying for medical expenses for her son.
But claims it's not really her who owns it.
No one will answer any questions regarding the site *who owns it, who runs it, proof that the moeny goes where it says, etc...*
So many people start saying it's a possible scam, don't donate until they answer question.
Libby freaks out, insults everyone.
A few days later she posts somewhere that she just bought her son a brand new pc that's so expensive etc...etc...
So people start asking, if you need money to help pay your sons medicals, how did you buy the new pc....blah blah blah.

So, basically, it seems like it really was a scam, but I dunno. It may have started off as a true to word thing, but the legal side of it was never papered, etc... No one could show that the money truly went for med bills, so it was written off as BS.

Libby was from Flotsim and Jetsim.

I'm enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination.
Imagination is more important than knowledge.
Knowledge is limited.
Imagination encircles the world.
~Einstein
LilyLocksley
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2007 September 09, 19:47:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks for the info ry. I never downloaded anything for the sims1, actually I never even knew about custom content until sims2.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: