PMBD PMBD
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 03, 14:57:40

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
138712 Posts in 1637 Topics by 5282 Members
Latest Member: AlexanderPistoletov
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  PMBD
|-+  The Pirate Ship
| |-+  ARR!
| | |-+  For NeptuneSuzy
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 34 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: For NeptuneSuzy  (Read 121776 times)
missangelica
ARR!

Now even more ridiculous! (the bouffant edition)

View Profile
For NeptuneSuzy
« Reply #105 on: 2007 July 17, 22:06:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "NeptuneSuzy"
Quote from: "missangelica"
How much do YOU personally get paid?  You can do an average per month if that makes it easier on you to figure it out and tell us.

It was already answered ... reread using some imagination and maybe you'll get the answer, if not then I'm sure someone else here got it and maybe they'll help you out.

Smiley

Bullshit.  Just answer the question.

defiantly- marked by defiance; boldly resisting.
definitely- decidedly: without question and beyond doubt

The difference.  You can has.  Learn it.  Love it.
kagechikara
Landlubber

View Profile
For NeptuneSuzy
« Reply #106 on: 2007 July 17, 22:30:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I really must do something about my icon before everyone starts calling me that girl whose a pokemon....

...There. Now its a pirate-poke.
Anouk
ARR!

Inactive

View Profile
For NeptuneSuzy
« Reply #107 on: 2007 July 17, 22:34:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Pika pika?

Inactive
kagechikara
Landlubber

View Profile
For NeptuneSuzy
« Reply #108 on: 2007 July 17, 22:45:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I really know nothing about pokemon, I jus' like the picture. It makes me smile inside.
HideTheRum
ARR!

View Profile
For NeptuneSuzy
« Reply #109 on: 2007 July 17, 22:48:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "NeptuneSuzy"
Quote from: "missangelica"
How much do YOU personally get paid?  You can do an average per month if that makes it easier on you to figure it out and tell us.

It was already answered ... reread using some imagination and maybe you'll get the answer, if not then I'm sure someone else here got it and maybe they'll help you out.

Smiley

Oh, I reckon that you must be keeping your imagination a hell of a lot busy, what with the struggle to read EA's statements in a way that doesn't make you turn out wrong...we, on other hand, don't do imagination much on the subject.

That means, you should really stop running in circles and just answer the question.

It was the least I could do. I always do the least I can do.
Aquamarine
ARR!

View Profile
For NeptuneSuzy
« Reply #110 on: 2007 July 18, 00:19:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "HideTheRum"
*sits back with popcorn and rum waiting for Neptunesuzy's answer to missangelica's question*  :mrgreen:

I think you're in for a long sit.
Frank
ARR!

Happy Pelican!

View Profile
For NeptuneSuzy
« Reply #111 on: 2007 July 18, 00:22:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "kagechikara"
I really know nothing about pokemon, I jus' like the picture. It makes me smile inside.

How do you know your pokemon is sick?
When it goes pika-CHOO!

Ok, back to shooting holes in Suzy's replies,lol.......

Confuscious say man with dyslexia that drinks gets fitshaced.....
calalily
ARR!

Belili, wife of Ningishzida - or Kali for short

View Profile WWW
For NeptuneSuzy
« Reply #112 on: 2007 July 18, 01:05:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I prefer my joke:

How many CIA agents does it take to screw in a lightbulb?

Two - one to screw it in, and the other to hold the terror suspect down.

Visit Calalilysims

To Hotel - never a problem - and I knew it would be a valid thing. Kiss My love to you too - come find me one day. Cheesy
Moune
ARR!

View Profile WWW
For NeptuneSuzy
« Reply #113 on: 2007 July 18, 02:31:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Pescado, I guess different things make different people tick. The EULA argument doesn’t do anything for me. The morality issue does, though.

Quote from: "AwwBoo"

See, I just can't understand how hosting the files here is wrong.  It's illegal for paysites to charge.  It's not illegal for fans to share their creations.  Maybe I see too much in black and white, but honestly I just can't see the shades of grey here.

1. The legality of this issue isn’t that clear-cut. Go back and read Pescado’s last post and you should see the shades of grey.

2. Because – like I said – let us at least have a minimum measure of control of what happens to our creations. I am very well aware that once you put something on the internet you can not retain 100 percent control of where it goes. But at least don’t stick it in our face so blatantly that you don’t give a damn about our wishes. And that goes for TSR too.

NeptuneSuzy, it would help if you would just come out with a number. I don’t understand your answer to that particular question either. Some FA’s don’t get paid, I understand that, but does that mean you don’t get paid either?  :?

Quote from: "calalily"

They won't stop making payfiles - they'll keep doing it, and as long as they keep doing it, PMBD won't stop.

Yes. So what I find is wrong-doing on both sides, will continue on both sides. That's sad, I think.

No, it's like signing standard rental agreements over the course of your lifetime, and then finding out that the rental agreement you just signed is a lifelong tenancy that you can't get out of ever, and they take your furniture and sell it.

Yes. And that is plain stupid. If you didn't even take the time to read the agreement before you signed it, don't come complaining to me about that.

Until refuted, what EA says goes.  EULAs haven't been thrashed out in court, but that doesn't mean that just because they haven't you get to do what you like.  

For the third time: The EULA is not law. It is a condition or a terms of use, I think you'd call it in English. National laws - like laws on copyright and intellectual property - may most likely overrule that. I don't believe any of us can really say how those things interact. So the EULA argument doesn't really carry that much weight, IMO. See Pescado's last post. It just isn't a strong argument, which is all I'm trying to say.  Smiley

Oh, and EA/Maxis have for a long time been acceptant and even supporting of paysites, so if you want to refer to what ‘EA says’ you’ll have to take that into count too. Which is definitely what any court would do.

I wasn't accusing you - but that argument would devalue free creators, and I don't think that's helpful or nice, and certainly doesn't make sense if we want an all free community.  Smiley

Again, I don’t think so. I don’t feel devalued by knowing or being told that what I create with all the free tools I’m given and all the free help I get all the time over at MTS2 it does not give me the right to charge anybody for what comes out of all that. Or maybe we’re just splitting hairs here. It is plainly morally wrong to charge for custom content and there are plenty of horrid examples of how some creators have abused their paypal button. That should be argument enough to turn people against paysites. :wink:

Quote from: "Ensign EO"
Why do you keep mentioning that you've come here of your own free will?  Is that supposed to be something special?  Is PMBD really that hidden and unknown that posting here feels so damn wondrous and exhilirating?  Why do some people (differing viewpoint or not) feel like they're doing something special and different when they speak up around here?  It's just a forum and we're just people with real feelings too.  (Except JM.  I still don't really buy the evil guy talking like a baby thing, but it seems a little less loony now.) Smiley

Uhm, I'm sorry to say this, but probably because some people here really do come off very evil and mean-spirited – (not talking about Pescado here. As much as he likes to be the evil bastard I’ve never seen one post from him that was just unfairly mean. There is always logic to his nastiness) – and that doesn't exactly work like an invitation to engage in any kind of meaningful discussion with the forum in general. I've stayed in lurkdom for a very long time, because, honestly, I didn't have the impression that you guys wanted to have a discussion at all, but preferred to stick to the slacking-off and ranting about various paysites. But NeptuneSuzy raised some good points and she got some very valid reactions to her posts, so I figured maybe you did want the discussion after all.

But, if I'm mistaken about that please do tell me as quickly as possible, because then I'll go back to lurkdom immediately.

Edited to delete typos.

* Formerly known as Peachfish *
Got a hungry sim that needs a nice place to have dinner? HERE is a new dining room for you.
Duckie
ARR!

View Profile WWW
For NeptuneSuzy
« Reply #114 on: 2007 July 18, 02:43:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "evilredduckie"

Your thoughts?

b]DerailedSims2 ~ Money Better Spent![/b]
(Derailed's been updated!)
Ensign EO
ARR!

Not a cash cow.

View Profile
For NeptuneSuzy
« Reply #115 on: 2007 July 18, 03:08:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

And here I was thinking that we were getting too nice since a couple have said that we were.  I don't think people here are unnecessarily mean at all.

I wasn't saying that there shouldn't be any discussion.  If you have lurked long enough, you'll see that there has been a lot of discussion.  Pick any anti-PMBD thread and you're bound to see discussion there (with a smattering of insults, but people aren't going to lie).  Suzy isn't the first person to come here and present an argument, and she wasn't the first one to come here not screaming her head off.  I can only think of one other person who disagreed with what went on here and didn't come stomping in screaming at us, but I wouldn't be surprised if there were others.

All I was saying is that people shouldn't have to preface their posts.  It doesn't matter if you have no prior posts and was only lurking for the past couple of months.  It doesn't matter if you've been here since the beginning and have three thousand posts.  It doesn't matter if you have a differing opinion or an identical one.  If you have something to say (new is preferred, but running in circles is good exercise), then just say it.  I don't like having, "At least I came here of my own free will, which is more than can said for other people" being repeated as though it were something special and different.
missangelica
ARR!

Now even more ridiculous! (the bouffant edition)

View Profile
For NeptuneSuzy
« Reply #116 on: 2007 July 18, 03:36:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The "very evil" comment makes me laugh.  Yeah, we're very evil with our words of doom.  We're just as evil as those guys that have killed millions of their own people!  Pol Pot comes to mind.  Yes, we're as evil as Pol Pot.  Be very afraid.

Peachfish, obviously you haven't lurked enough to think we do not want to discuss the paysite issue.  Ignore the foolishness of the past month or so.  Make a lazy day out of skimming the threads larger than 20 pages to start with because that's where the main debating has gone on.  It will readily become apparent we have talked about this ad nauseam.

defiantly- marked by defiance; boldly resisting.
definitely- decidedly: without question and beyond doubt

The difference.  You can has.  Learn it.  Love it.
calalily
ARR!

Belili, wife of Ningishzida - or Kali for short

View Profile WWW
For NeptuneSuzy
« Reply #117 on: 2007 July 18, 03:50:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Peachfish"
Pescado, I guess different things make different people tick. The EULA argument doesn’t do anything for me. The morality issue does, though.

Morality is subjective.  Legal agreements are not. Don't like the EULA don't sign it - I signed it.

1. The legality of this issue isn’t that clear-cut. Go back and read Pescado’s last post and you should see the shades of grey.

Anyone who says that just wants to be mealy mouthed about it - it's clear enough, and Nouk's recent emails from EA make it perfectly clear.  

Some FA’s don’t get paid, I understand that, but does that mean you don’t get paid either?  :?

She gets paid - she admitted as much on s2c.  She just won't say how much.

Yes. So what I find is wrong-doing on both sides, will continue on both sides. That's sad, I think.

So what should we do - go back to being silent about it? Suck it up and shut up?  It's been this way for years because no one did a damn thing - all these people wringing their hands saying "oh the community used to be so sweet - there were no fake suicides or hissy fits" - there were also an increasing number of paysites, *but at least it was "nice"*.

If you didn't even take the time to read the agreement before you signed it, don't come complaining to me about that.

Nobody is complaining to you.

The EULA is not law. It is a condition or a terms of use, I think you'd call it in English. National laws - like laws on copyright and intellectual property - may most likely overrule that. I don't believe any of us can really say how those things interact. So the EULA argument doesn't really carry that much weight, IMO.

No EULA is law for any game - none of them have been tested in court, and are unlikely to be, unless someone is suicidal and rich.  But until refuted by a court of law, anyone who doesn't abide by them are putting themselves at risk of prosecution.  Whether it carries much weight or not - you can't assert rights to EA file parts (which by the way are products of their intellectual property and they also have copyright on them - but you know, some bodgy bob who says so MUST have supreme rights) software until you prove that their agreement is a load of garbage in court.  

It is plainly morally wrong to charge for custom content and there are plenty of horrid examples of how some creators have abused their paypal button. That should be argument enough to turn people against paysites.

Nobody cares - they don't care - they're just like you and will say "well more fool them for being so foolish - you'd never catch me like that haha".

But NeptuneSuzy raised some good points and she got some very valid reactions to her posts, so I figured maybe you did want the discussion after all.

I offer odds of 10-1 that NeptuneSuzy replies to a similar phrase as this, and ignores everything else.  I pay only in love for the winner though.

Visit Calalilysims

To Hotel - never a problem - and I knew it would be a valid thing. Kiss My love to you too - come find me one day. Cheesy
Bliss
ARR!

View Profile
For NeptuneSuzy
« Reply #118 on: 2007 July 18, 04:01:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Personally, I'm getting sick and tired of hearing "but but but.. the community!"

The community will be FINE.  Some will leave.  They will leave because they are mad that they can no longer sell their stuff, they will leave because something happens in their life and they no longer have time for TS2, they will leave because they lose interest.  New people will show up.  Someone else will hone their talent.  

People have been coming and going from this "community" for years.  For every well-known mod or admin on a well-known site, there are hundreds or thousands of people who don't bloody post.  

I think people are losing sight of the fact that this is a GAME.  It's supposed to be FUN.  If you're not enjoying it, or enjoying creating for it, then why in the bloody hell are you still doing it? For the internet fame? The money can't honestly be THAT good that you couldn't get a job doing something similar (and honest, even!) for a true paycheck.

Gah.
Ensign EO
ARR!

Not a cash cow.

View Profile
For NeptuneSuzy
« Reply #119 on: 2007 July 18, 04:21:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oh, but it teaches poor morals to children.

Never mind parental responsibility, PMBD causes children to go bad and make them thieves and drink baby blood.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 34 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: