PMBD PMBD
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 06, 06:53:45

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
138712 Posts in 1637 Topics by 5282 Members
Latest Member: AlexanderPistoletov
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  PMBD
|-+  The Pirate Ship
| |-+  ARR!
| | |-+  I smell bullshit
0 Members and 2 Chinese Bots are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 24 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: I smell bullshit  (Read 100191 times)
Pescado
Pirate King

View Profile
I smell bullshit
« Reply #120 on: 2006 December 24, 04:58:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sites featuring advertising banners can very likely take in enough money to remain profitable simply because the cost of the actual hosting is, as I have proven, peanuts. If a site can take in maybe $20 a month from ad revenue, and this is probably a very low figure, they are making a profit off this.

I don't really see anything wrong with this, though. It's not coming out of my pocket. I just block all the ads anyway, not like I'd ever buy any of that shit.

Give a man a fire, and you warm him for a day. Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
lemmiwinks
ARR!

Swashbuckler

View Profile
I smell bullshit
« Reply #121 on: 2006 December 24, 06:43:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Furryfox rocks on this. Blocking ads is a godsend.

Don't forget to use the "Thanks" button!
toomanyguppys
Landlubber

View Profile
I smell bullshit
« Reply #122 on: 2006 December 24, 07:06:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Knowing what I know about Google Adsense and their rules, and knowing what I know about some of the supposedly kid-friendly content that is on TSR, I'm kind of surprised they've managed to keep the Google ads on their own site.  

As for the amount it costs them to have a Google Adwords ad of their own, that only depends on how much it gets clicked compared to how many of those clickers either turn into paying customers, or generate some money for the site by clicking on the google ads or other ads there.

Edited to add: If anyone has a sims2 site with google ads on it, hopefully they realize that they CAN block TSR's (or any other site's) ads from showing on their own site.  They may not want to--the TSR ads might pay well heh, but I thought I'd point out that they CAN choose to do so if they wanna.

on't play leapfrog with unicorns
liegenschonheit
Corsair
ARR!

View Profile
I smell bullshit
« Reply #123 on: 2006 December 24, 07:28:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

On most small sites, Google adds pay out squat. I've tried it, and given the choice, I'm better off with an add free site and accepting the occasional donations that come in than trying to make any kind of revenue from Google. Seriously, on one site I hosted, with a low to moderate amount of traffic, I generated a grand total of like fifty cents in a month. Funny enough though, I've noticed that on larger sites that can generate some sort of payout from Google, Google finds some "violation" of terms to shut them down. Basically, its something of a scam to get nearly free adverts on websites.

Just say no to Google Ads. All the smart kids have adblock anyway Tongue

Digital Perversion ** Garden of Shadows
Have you hugged your darker side lately?
Mac_in_Black
ARR!

View Profile
I smell bullshit
« Reply #124 on: 2006 December 24, 15:57:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oooohhh, I hate annoying ads. Block em! Block EM! BLOCK EM!
Pescado
Pirate King

View Profile
I smell bullshit
« Reply #125 on: 2006 December 24, 16:09:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "liegenschonheit"
Just say no to Google Ads. All the smart kids have adblock anyway Tongue

Admittedly, people who wield adblockers probably don't represent the target audience for an ad anyway, given that they're likely fundamentally unwilling to consider the idea at all.

Give a man a fire, and you warm him for a day. Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
sickpuppy
ARR!

View Profile
I smell bullshit
« Reply #126 on: 2006 December 24, 16:13:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Pescado"
Sites featuring advertising banners...., not like I'd ever buy any of that shit.

'In your face' advertizing pisses me off so much, such an annoying personal space invasion in an already stressful civilization barely worth living in, I make it a point to remember who/what the ads come from/are for and NEVER EVER buy their shit!

My one person sit down stike against that type of advertizing Smiley
Delphy
ARR!

View Profile
I smell bullshit
« Reply #127 on: 2006 December 25, 10:10:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

grizzelda,

If TSR having more upload options tham MTS2 is a reason for you staying there, then I am more than willing to enhance MTS2s system where I can. Smiley
BlueSoup
Fat Head
ARR!

View Profile
I smell bullshit
« Reply #128 on: 2006 December 25, 10:12:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

What are the TSR options for uploading?  I did it and I found it much worse than MTS2.
Pescado
Pirate King

View Profile
I smell bullshit
« Reply #129 on: 2006 December 25, 10:22:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Ghanima Atreides"
Cool  Besides, someone did the math once. The profit he makes off TSR is huge.

The math speaks for itself. Delphy claims about 0.07% donation rate. That means at least 700 subscribers per month out of TSR's 1 million, and this is a lowball figure: MTS2 doesn't require donations and people are not terribly compelled to give them, whereas you go nowhere on TSR and have no reason to even be there otherwise. At 700 subscribers per 2 months, $8.95 per cycle, TSR thus rakes in a yearly income of $37590/yr.

Operating costs, with intelligent hosting selection, are on the order of $100-$150 a year, which is how much it costs us to pirate all their shit and offer it free to the world.

Now, do you think 0.07% is a realistic subscribe rate given that paying is MANDATORY? And if not, how many orders of magnitude higher? 0.7%? 7%? The figure for 0.7% is $376K/yr. The figure for 7% is $3.76M/yr. Even the smallest and most lowly of these estimates is sadistically huge.

Delphy
ARR!

View Profile
I smell bullshit
« Reply #130 on: 2006 December 25, 10:23:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm guessing extra stuff like specifying number of bedrooms, lot sizes, type of clothing, and all that stuff. (Which I'll be rolling into the next major MTS2 update anyway)
BlueSoup
Fat Head
ARR!

View Profile
I smell bullshit
« Reply #131 on: 2006 December 25, 10:26:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Delphy"
I'm guessing extra stuff like specifying number of bedrooms, lot sizes, type of clothing, and all that stuff. (Which I'll be rolling into the next major MTS2 update anyway)

That'd be good.
Delphy
ARR!

View Profile
I smell bullshit
« Reply #132 on: 2006 December 25, 10:30:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Operating costs, with intelligent hosting selection, are on the order of $100-$150 a year, which is how much it costs us to pirate all their shit and offer it free to the world.

TSRs hosting costs are at least on par with MTS2s - probably a bit higher since they have (at last rememberance) 10 servers whereas MTS2 has 7 (if you include S2C).  They also pay people for managing the site and servers and coding and all that jazz.

Not to put a dampener on your "$150 a year" thing, but in all honestly, you really couldn't run a site the size of MTS2 or TSR on that kind of money since you'd be looking at 1) shared hosting and 2) not much bandwidth per month, which equals crappy performance and so on.  Remember that you don't have as many concurrent users download stuff as they (or I) do.  Any website provider who has a vast number of people downloading stuff concurrently is going to want to shift you onto dedicated boxes, which ups costs.

That said, they do have a lot of ads (they are *everywhere*) and a lot of "omg sign up now!!!" stuff, which is really annoying, so I'd say they are getting a lot more than you think.
Pescado
Pirate King

View Profile
I smell bullshit
« Reply #133 on: 2006 December 25, 10:49:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Not to put a dampener on your "$150 a year" thing, but in all honestly, you really couldn't run a site the size of MTS2 or TSR on that kind of money since you'd be looking at 1) shared hosting and 2) not much bandwidth per month, which equals crappy performance and so on.

Well, I have unlimited and run at 3 TB a month right now. You had, what, 12 TB a month and pay a bazillion times more than I do? "Dedicated" server runs at around $300 a month on a low end estimate. For the price of THAT, I could purchase 30 regular accounts! You're just not thinking outside of the box.

Remember that you don't have as many concurrent users download stuff as they (or I) do.  Any website provider who has a vast number of people downloading stuff concurrently is going to want to shift you onto dedicated boxes, which ups costs.

I still 3 TB a month, you have what, 12? 18? That's not a large enough difference that I can't buy myself out by splitting it across more servers. Like I said, you're just not thinking out of the box. You're not thinking like a cheap, miserly bastard. Tongue

Delphy
ARR!

View Profile
I smell bullshit
« Reply #134 on: 2006 December 25, 11:04:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yeah but it's not about bandwidth at all Pescado.  It's about CPU load, database queries, server optimisations and just general concurrent users at any one time.

I bet if you checked the apache server-status you'd have hardly any usage there at all - for MTS2 it maxes out 200 MaxClients within about 20 seconds of starting the httpd processes.

Don't think about it in purely bandwidth terms - there are a lot of other reasons to have multiple servers.  Running MTS2 on a single server even with unlimited bandwidth would basically result in a completely unusable site and it'll kill the box.  I may not be as cheap as you, but I still do want to have a working website Wink

Regardless though, with optimisations and improvements you can cut down the number you need, and make it so that things run better, thus not needing to upgrade so much (ie pay more for more powerful machines, etc).  MTS2 has been very static in terms of servers for quite some time - the only main change to hardware has been for the fileserver for a disk upgrade, but otherwise it's all been software changes.  I daresay if I didn't do it myself (or, like other paysites, I *paid* somebody to do it), it'd cost a hell of a lot, so I suspect that this is, in part, where paysite owners spend some of thier gains.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 24 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: