PMBD PMBD
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 04, 12:13:41

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
138712 Posts in 1637 Topics by 5282 Members
Latest Member: AlexanderPistoletov
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  PMBD
|-+  The Pirate Ship
| |-+  ARR!
| | |-+  Dedicated Server
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Dedicated Server  (Read 33504 times)
Soup Parrot
ARR!

View Profile
Dedicated Server
« Reply #30 on: 2007 January 12, 20:09:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Teadrinker is asking the questions I've been wondering. The booty content, since there is no registration and many hackers have firewalls and all, they could be sabatoging this site, to take you down. Whats to stop a person with hacking skills to go in there swap and sabotoge the files? I dont know that much about this, but, is there some way to make access harder, and monitor who has access.

My donations through winter months have to be small, I live in all electric  and we are are extreme cold, so any extra I have not covered by basics, is shrinking due to the heat bill. I have no interest in website options, but what about making ourselves a club or organizaion with small dues, that a lot could afford, including the kids. Though not optional to be registered to site, maybe membership gives special avatar tile, I dont know.

updated: I think occasionally the phorum wigs out, but I have had problems with booty or even front page. Luckily I use my history, and go directly to forum. another server company or option sonds good. If they are pressuring Pescado for time, I get real hesitant, that they are saying he must do it now. Sounds like a scam.

fficial Sim Club member in all Sim World: Nouk, Marcossi, Moune, Orange Mittens, Nengi,, Fanseelamb, to many to list thei the best.
Duckie
ARR!

View Profile WWW
Dedicated Server
« Reply #31 on: 2007 January 12, 20:40:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I agree with teadrinker on this. If we decide to pay that much for a dedicated server, regardless of why, we'll end up with rum on our faces.

I support the membership only downloads, the email system, even having sections of files hosted on members ISP space. That being said, I have ISP space and will shortly have web space where I can either host a section of files or hold them to email to requesting members.

As for access to the site, in the past couple of weeks, I've only been unable to access the site once. A couple of other times it's been slow to load but that's it.

b]DerailedSims2 ~ Money Better Spent![/b]
(Derailed's been updated!)
Pescado
Pirate King

View Profile
Dedicated Server
« Reply #32 on: 2007 January 12, 21:05:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Soup Parrot"
Luckily I use my history, and go directly to forum. another server company or option sonds good. If they are pressuring Pescado for time, I get real hesitant, that they are saying he must do it now. Sounds like a scam.

Actually, they more specifically stated that the servers were limited in supply and would sell out. If this happens, we will have to investigate alternative options. One option under investigation is to, as an alternative, purchase a bunch of hosting packages distributed everywhere and mirror the sites. Cheaper solutions are also being investigated. In any case, rum and whores never hurt, right?

Give a man a fire, and you warm him for a day. Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
Tchannie
Little Bitch
ARR!

I am Tchan, hear me roar

View Profile WWW
Dedicated Server
« Reply #33 on: 2007 January 12, 22:41:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Where are you getting the whores from? Not our cash, eh?

The phorum hates me. Half the time it won't open or it shuts down when I'm in the middle of a post. If it does I just give up now.

~ It doesn't matter that the FAQ states it as a bad thing, I LIKE being the one and only Little Bitch. ~

Quote from: Jojoba
Poor Pescado...he was just trying to be mean...and then you go and take it as a compliment! Bah humbug!
BlueSoup
Fat Head
ARR!

View Profile
Dedicated Server
« Reply #34 on: 2007 January 12, 23:37:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Tchân de Bouley"

Surely you didn't miss the rum disclaimer in Pescado's first post in this thread.  If he doesn't raise enough money, the money will go towards rum Tongue
Anouk
ARR!

Inactive

View Profile
Dedicated Server
« Reply #35 on: 2007 January 13, 00:13:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Can't you put up a donation button, get your own server for less than 2100 dollars and start selling space and bandwidth to cover some of the cost in the future? Cheapo hosting plans?

Inactive
Pescado
Pirate King

View Profile
Dedicated Server
« Reply #36 on: 2007 January 13, 00:40:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Nouk"
Can't you put up a donation button, get your own server for less than 2100 dollars and start selling space and bandwidth to cover some of the cost in the future? Cheapo hosting plans?

That's what we're doing. Tongue

Plus if you buy one, you get to be a Baron. Tongue

Give a man a fire, and you warm him for a day. Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
Soup Parrot
ARR!

View Profile
Dedicated Server
« Reply #37 on: 2007 January 13, 00:48:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

well let us know the final direction or plan you finnalize, and I hope it will be paypal and I will send as Cool  I can.

fficial Sim Club member in all Sim World: Nouk, Marcossi, Moune, Orange Mittens, Nengi,, Fanseelamb, to many to list thei the best.
Tchannie
Little Bitch
ARR!

I am Tchan, hear me roar

View Profile WWW
Dedicated Server
« Reply #38 on: 2007 January 13, 01:37:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "BlueSoup"
Quote from: "Tchân de Bouley"

Surely you didn't miss the rum disclaimer in Pescado's first post in this thread.  If he doesn't raise enough money, the money will go towards rum Tongue

I got the rum reference, yes.
The whores were something else though.
TBTH *wince* it reminded me of that nasty Open House Jack thread...

~ It doesn't matter that the FAQ states it as a bad thing, I LIKE being the one and only Little Bitch. ~

Quote from: Jojoba
Poor Pescado...he was just trying to be mean...and then you go and take it as a compliment! Bah humbug!
Soup Parrot
ARR!

View Profile
Dedicated Server
« Reply #39 on: 2007 January 13, 01:52:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I didnt get that, i saw the whore and rum connection to pirates...When i was a kid been through Rirates of the Carribean ride a few times.

CrimsonPirate
Landlubber

View Profile
Dedicated Server
« Reply #40 on: 2007 January 13, 05:57:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't have money to spare, but I do have extra web space and bandwidth if you need it.  :wink:
Surelyfunke
Pirate

View Profile
Dedicated Server
« Reply #41 on: 2007 January 13, 07:10:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "evilredduckie"
Quote from: "Surelyfunke"
So, Pescado, Bluesoup, Piratebooty and myself are expected to cough up $2100 amongst ourselves to pay for a new server, which is filled with a bunch of payfiles (that we ourselves coughed up the cash for), for all of you to download - for free?

No, you're not expected to do anything. Self righteous much?

Of course, of course. I am always right!  Always! Tongue
toomanyguppys
Landlubber

View Profile
Dedicated Server
« Reply #42 on: 2007 January 13, 08:13:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm on dial-up and it's generally been more frustrating for me to try and dl from mts2 than from here.  

I'd say it's a good time to be looking around at options that might improve things, but the situation doesn't seem dire enough to be making big decisions or purchases, not yet anyway.

The major impact of this site hasn't been that the files are available for free anyway.  I mean, yeah, it's nice and all but the real impact of all those files sitting there for free for anyone who chooses to take them is (I believe) more symbolic than anything else.  Anyone who is really dying to actually download them can bloody well wait til the site is feeling frisky--and while they are waiting they can think about how stupid the paysite system is in the first place and can become one more person in the community who is willing to actually speak OUT about it here or on one of the other sites.

If a good solution for a speedier/more dependable system presents itself, great, but the main thing right now is to keep doing what we've been doing and not start coming apart at the seams--because all this has really begun to make an amazing impact...all due to this site.

YMMV, of course.

on't play leapfrog with unicorns
ChineseFood
Landlubber

View Profile
Dedicated Server
« Reply #43 on: 2007 January 13, 08:30:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I like Teadrinker's idea of a forum setting, free membership, members-only downloads.  People should be encouraged to donate to help with hosting cost, but all downloads should be kept completely free, of course.  It would be very cool to have a list of every single person who has donated and how much they gave, and exactly how much the hosting bill is.  That way people can see exactly where their money went and how much of an impact they made, and be publicly acknowledged for it, and others would see this and want to donate, too.  

I think $2100 is a lot of money...  But I know nothing about web hosting.
Soup Parrot
ARR!

View Profile
Dedicated Server
« Reply #44 on: 2007 January 13, 09:27:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Chinese their basically buying their own computer with 2100. So the computer is not running other sites, except MATY and if they some site hosting. For that price though you could get more HD. My computer was custom built for less than that, and I had two HDS of 200 GBtes each.

If 500 people donated $5 each that would be $2500.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: