PMBD PMBD
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 07, 02:46:53

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
138712 Posts in 1637 Topics by 5282 Members
Latest Member: AlexanderPistoletov
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  PMBD
|-+  The Pirate Ship
| |-+  ARR!
| | |-+  Delphy's MTS2 2007 Mission Statement
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Delphy's MTS2 2007 Mission Statement  (Read 37718 times)
PirateOfMashedPotatoes
ARR!

View Profile
Delphy's MTS2 2007 Mission Statement
« Reply #105 on: 2007 January 13, 08:43:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

although nowadays, kids know more than I do.

Not all kids, thank goodness!  Man, I am so glad I actually got to be a kid and not had to worry if I was giving head correctly at 13-yrs-old.  Blech.

Anyway, I do think it would be hard for S2C to allow links to this site as it is definitely not PG-13.  

Wouldn't it be more 'anti-paysite' if he allowed signatures to with links to this site and SFV?

Not to pick on anyone because I've seen a couple post this sort of thing.

I realize this is an extreme analogy however, one can be anti-abortion without being pro blow up clinics.  One can be anti-paysite without being pro-filesharing, and that really is okay.  It isn't hypocritical to be anti-paysite and not pro-filesharing.  It's a personal decision like so many other things.

I really don't have a lot of love for S2C because Lyric and Pooja screwed it up so badly, but still, the site in general can't be blamed for not allowing linkage to here for several reasons.
Quorneater
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: 2007 January 13, 10:17:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

To try to put a more positive spin on this thread, I am really pleased that between us all - this site, Delphy's sites, and now the federation we really are having an effect.  Oh and InSim have made it clear on their site that they are pro-free content, and that should help shape people's attitudes as it's another big site.

Helaene and Saphire Sims have gone free, and XMSims has expressed an intention to gradually do so and is not adding any more donation content.  There's another one I have forgotten dammit.

There is room for a multi-pronged approach, of which all the above are a part and so can anyone be if they keep reiterating either an anti-pay or a pro-free statement, depending on whether they are glass half full or glass half empty types lol

Our lil friend must be stopped.
Pescado
Pirate King

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: 2007 January 13, 10:22:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "LesserOr"
She thought it was criminal that the library allowed people to steal money out of Author's pockets by letting so many people read books for free.

I take it she never became an author, on account of being a complete MORON, because how many real authors do you hear of objecting to libraries?

Give a man a fire, and you warm him for a day. Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
calalily
ARR!

Belili, wife of Ningishzida - or Kali for short

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: 2007 January 13, 11:31:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Delphy"
The issue I have with the treasure chest forum (and hence linking of PMBD in sigs) is that it basically advocates filesharing in that it's a list of "stolen" things, and also asks for money to help with the endeavour.

You say that paysite links should be banned from MTS2... I say stop trying to dictate what goes on there - notwithstanding the point that has been made time and time again that a site that has a great sharing policy you would still class as a paysite (SimChic) or actually is mostly free with only a few sets etc (AroundTheSims).  

Or perhaps I should just turn into a forum nazi and just ban all sigs and all links altogether to anything remotely resembling any kind of site.

Frankly I'm getting tired of the extremist attitudes of people here.  I dont tell you what to do, but you seem to think you have some right to tell me what I should do?  *shrugs*

I almost preferred it when you all hated me. Tongue

I didn't post that on your forum, and I have been pretty active in the why hate paysites, with not one ounce of your necessary censorship needed because I have abided by your rules. But if you come here, where Pescado pretty much lets me speak my mind - then I can abide by his rules, and you either lump it, or leave, just as we have to do on your site.

I put forward my opinion on someone else's site - I didn't PM you, or even ask you to check it out. I just said what I think within the rules of this forum, just as I did on yours.  

I didn't order, or dictate, or demand, but put forth an argument, and I didn't even address you personally.  You might own MTS2, but you don't own here. Being a member of this site doesn't mean that you get to dictate to me either.

And I think it's pretty damn stupid to have a policy about free things, when people upload to MTS2 with "want to see more of my stuff - come to openhousejack/exnem/crapperata" - it kinda makes you look like a paper tyrant - one who will say "oh paysites are bad" while promoting them on the featured or front page of your site, telling people that if they want more featured content like this, just click on the link.

Visit Calalilysims

To Hotel - never a problem - and I knew it would be a valid thing. Kiss My love to you too - come find me one day. Cheesy
HystericalParoxysm
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: 2007 January 13, 11:32:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

*giggle*  You guys are funny.  Like we don't have anything better to do than delete your PMs.   :roll:

So anyone who's really sharing for the community spirit shouldn't mind filesharing.

I'd rather people get my work from me.  It's freely available, always will be freely available (in fact, you can still find my old Creatures 1 and 2 work if you go looking - I REALLY like to make sure my modding work stays around even if the game is obsolete), and if there -was- an extended MTS2 downtime I'd work on putting my stuff up on my own site so people could still get it.  

I do not have to pay a dime for bandwidth, ever - not only because my work is hosted on MTS2 but also because my own site's hosting and domain is 100% free with unlimited bandwidth.  I put my uploads on MTS2 because they've visible and because it's easier than trying to maintain them at my own site.  

Perhaps not the most common setup with the free site and stuff (my dad runs a small hosting biz so he's got me covered) but anyone could find free or extremely affordable hosting if they did some poking around.

I've got a pretty darn open policy - use pretty much anything of mine but my mesh parts as long as you give credit and don't pretend you made it yourself.  Upload with lots or sims with credit, don't upload just to upload as it's one hell of a lot easier just to link to me.

I don't think I'd mind someone sending their buddy a couple of my things privately over MSN or email or whatever, just cos it's easier, but I would definitely take issue with someone uploading a major chunk of my work somewhere else....  Mainly because it's available from me for free, often more updated or with important info, and it's just entirely pointless.  Doesn't save me anything, and folks could get it from me with no hassle.

Yes, I like comments and thanks, but it's more about being able to maintain even a small amount of control over something that I've made, when there's absolutely no reason for anyone to try to take that away from me.  I have not and never will withhold content behind a pay curtain, so I feel there's no reason to fileshare what's given freely.

While I don't necessarily condone open filesharing of pay works on a website like is done here...  Folks would get the work from the creators if they could and didn't have to pay for it, which I'm realizing is an important point when paysite creators yell about redistribution.
Marhis
ARR!

This Space For Rent

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: 2007 January 13, 14:12:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The most important fact should be that many people, with many different points of view on the matter, agree on the very basilar facts: yes to free files, no to payfiles.

Anyone has his/her personal reasons, and own personal ways of action: pretending to uniform all them to a unique behavior, whatever it is, penalizes the purpose of the mission in the long run. You know, if anybody may say: "oh, but they're only the usual old bunch of pirates, let's talk about something more interesting, please.", then it's a failure of the mission.

The fact that many people, and even more, those most recognized by the community as reliable and respected, agree on the core issue is the most important fact. It's almost as the testimonial importance in advertisement. If PMBD would be made by me - for example - instead of Pescado, would have had the same impact and importance? I bet not. It's normal.

When SFV started I suppose the community wasn't "ready" to understand at full the complex issue. This doesn't means that PMBD is better than SFV, or vice versa, but simply they have acted in different moments, with different background to work on.

THE FUTURE OF THIS SIGNATURE IS BRIGHT
LesserOr
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: 2007 January 13, 15:13:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If you guys are so worried about your underground PM information, just ask for the person's email.

Quote from: "Pescado"
I take it she never became an author, on account of being a complete MORON, because how many real authors do you hear of objecting to libraries?

God, I hope not. All I remember is that it was some kind of horrible "Great American Novel" thing (with male prostitutes! I remember that part!) and she was convinced it was going to make her rich.

I die a little inside, thinking that there's someone out there that hates the library because it lets people read books.

Quote from: "HystericalParoxysm"
I'd rather people get my work from me.

All of which is perfectly reasonable, and I do understand why other creators might feel that way, even if I personally don't.
I would/do give my respect to your ToS. Except for the part about fat sims. Cool

Creatures 1 and 2

Good lord, it's been forever since I thought about those. Bet I can't get it to work anymore.

Quote from: "Marhis"
This doesn't means that PMBD is better than SFV, or vice versa, but simply they have acted in different moments, with different background to work on.

I wasn't trying to slight SFV. Their policies are geared toward protecting the users from vindictive paysite owners. One of those protections is keeping the site semi-private, another is the layers of rules.
SFV isn't intended for anything but sharing files quietly among themselves, and that's why it hasn't "made a difference."
Quinctia
ARR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: 2007 January 13, 18:24:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

HP, I think it just comes down to what's more important.  Exposure vs. control.  I've got fiction uploaded freaking EVERYWHERE, so someone putting up their own fic archive isn't going to annoy me, unless they're pretending they're me.

To me, it's more important that people get use out of what I create than having absolute control over it.  You say you don't mind people uploading things as part of houses, etc.

What if someone decided some of your CC was part of their "essential" downloads, and they collected their essential downloads on a site to help out people who didn't have the time or ability to search through MTS2?  That would be a reason to upload it, you have full credit, and they're definitely paying you a compliment.  As to why they would host it themselves, they think it's so important that they want to make sure their essential files are available.  No hissy fits, no server failure, no links dying, etc.

From what I've seen, nearly everything on the internet can randomly disappear, so extra insurance that what you love doesn't is a valid reason to share things on your own.

And libraries are horrible.  Most of them also let you listen to CDs and watch movies FOR FREE.
BlueSoup
Fat Head
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: 2007 January 13, 18:26:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

SFV wasn't/isn't trying to make a difference.  But they've been around since TS1 days and they've seen their fair share of bullshit melodrama from paysite owners attacking them.  Which is probably a big reason why none of them are very active here - they've been there, done that.

I wish you all would stop seeing this site as a way to destroy paysites.  It's not.  It's a way to make people talk about how bad they are.  Sites are not going to stop creating because of filesharing, SFV has been through that before and it doesn't work.

Paysites will only slow down/cease to exist when everyone stops paying them.  One of the only things we're really accomplishing at the end of the day here is paying less and getting the content to more people for free.

Edit:  And unless HP's post is directed to someone in particular, and my eyes glazed over that person's post, I don't get what filesharing of free files has to do with this?  We don't share freely available files...
Quinctia
ARR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #114 on: 2007 January 13, 18:32:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Replying to me, as I don't understand why filesharing is offensive.  And someone always goes "creators' rights!"  And I always go "why share it at all if you don't want lots of people to have it?"

But...but...CREATORS' RIGHTS!

I don't know, I will never understand it.  I think it's because I even make stuff where I don't care if I get credit.
HystericalParoxysm
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: 2007 January 13, 18:36:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quinctia, I think doing something like that it'd make more sense to just link to people so folks could go get their other things, and I don't have a problem with lot and house uploads because people are using what I've created as part of their own creation - not just sharing it because it's cool stuffs, since they can always get it from me.  I've got my site if MTS2 is down, and that's there as long as I feel like leaving it there.  And not being the take my ball and go home type, that'll probably be till I'm dead at least.

Anyway, there are -very- few things that I would have serious issue with or say no to if someone came to me and just asked me first.  I'm easy to contact, and as long as they ask and are cool about it, willing to give me a little link...  I'll generally give special permission for just about anything to anyone with a reputation for not being a douche.

I want lots of people to have my stuff, I'd just like them to get it from me, since I'm giving it out freely and may have info on it or updates for them.  A couple thanks or comments now and then from people who enjoy my work is kinda nice too.

Edit: BlueSoup, with that long, um, thingie, I was referring to Quinctia's post here: http://phorum.mustnotbenamed.com/viewtopic.php?p=14653#14653

It was sort of a long and roundabout, rambling point that basically came down to the fact that people wouldn't be redistributing the files (at least not much outside of the Exchange, etc.) if they were free, and sort of a tangential side thing.  I think I'm done now though.  Cheesy
BlueSoup
Fat Head
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: 2007 January 13, 18:51:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Edit: BlueSoup, with that long, um, thingie, I was referring to Quinctia's post here: http://phorum.mustnotbenamed.com/viewtopic.php?p=14653#14653

It was sort of a long and roundabout, rambling point that basically came down to the fact that people wouldn't be redistributing the files (at least not much outside of the Exchange, etc.) if they were free, and sort of a tangential side thing.  I think I'm done now though.  Cheesy

Ahh ok.  I don't agree with filesharing of freely available files at all, unless it's something included in a lot or Sim package.  And I don't think that should have restrictions either.  

Think about it - would you ever suggest to anyone that they download a hack included in your lot file?  No, you'd direct them straight to the source so they got all the information and correct version, etc.  If content is freely available, there's no reason to redistribute it.
jesserocket
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: 2007 January 13, 20:52:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Two wrongs don't necessarily make a right, but if the only thing you have is rights, the only place you're going is in circles.

Best. Quote. Ever.

arr Harr Fiddledeedee,
Being a Pirate is alright with me!
Do what you want cos a Pirate is free!
YOU ARE A PIRATE!
icedwhitemocha
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: 2007 January 13, 21:07:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "jesserocket"
Two wrongs don't necessarily make a right, but if the only thing you have is rights, the only place you're going is in circles.

Best. Quote. Ever.

Agreed.  *writes it down*

KA Polonius.
Exnem sims
maxon
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: 2007 January 19, 15:56:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "LesserOr"
Tangentially, this reminded me of a girl I knew in college who was always talking about how she was going to be an Author.
Because of this (Huh) she was mortally offended by the fact that libraries stocked fiction.

She thought it was criminal that the library allowed people to steal money out of Author's pockets by letting so many people read books for free.

That is so funny - I'm going to use that somewhere.  As long as you don't get offended.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: