PMBD PMBD
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 29, 14:53:48

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
138712 Posts in 1637 Topics by 5282 Members
Latest Member: AlexanderPistoletov
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  PMBD
|-+  The Pirate Ship
| |-+  ARR!
| | |-+  Dedicated Server
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Dedicated Server  (Read 33476 times)
BlueSoup
Fat Head
ARR!

View Profile
Dedicated Server
« on: 2007 January 12, 02:53:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

With all of the problems the server(s) have had in hosting us, they have suggested we might find it easier to have our own dedicated server.  However, rather than $8 per month, our monthly costs would soar to $300 per month.

Obviously, this is a bit too costly for us.  So we're wondering what everyone else's opinions are on it, and especially how we can raise the money required every month.

Pros:

We would be solely in charge of what happened, and when there's a problem, Pescado would be God-Emperor of Der Servar, so he could fix anything not requiring a manual reset.

We could host a number of smaller Sim sites.

Cons:

Obviously, the cost.

So, what do you all think?  We have not decided on any course of action.
Pescado
Pirate King

View Profile
Dedicated Server
« Reply #1 on: 2007 January 12, 05:23:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Alrighty. Here's the deal. I have haggled and the dedicated server option is available at the price of $2100 for a year (price can be expected to drop somewhat in coming years if the obsolete server is retained).

Caveats:
1. This is considerably more money than we presently have available.
2. This is considerably more power than we actually require.
3. Offer available for a rather limited time only. If we don't move this fast, it ain't happening. Servers sold on a FCFS basis and stocks are low.

Pros:
1. Being God-Emperor of the Server is always nice.
2. Speed should improve both here and on MATY. Downtimes should be considerably less.
3. Space will be greatly improved.

So here's the deal:
Anyone who contributes money towards this, depending on how much, will receive the following irrelevant and often useless perks.
$500 or more: The title of Prince* and priority for webspaces.
$250 or more: Your title of nobility will be displayed on all present and future AwesomeNet(tm) sites capable of doing so.
$200 or more: The title of Duke* to be displayed on a single AwesomeNet(tm) site of your choice.
$150 or more: The title of Marquis* to be displayed on a single AwesomeNet(tm) site of your choice.
$100 or more: The title of Count* to be displayed on a single AwesomeNet(tm) site of your choice.
$75 or more: The Title of Viscount* to be displayed on a single AwesomeNet(tm) site of your choice.
$50 or more: The Title of Baron* to be displayed on a single AwesomeNet(tm) site of your choice.
$25 or more: The Title of Baronet to be displayed on a single AwesomeNet(tm) site of your choice.

*You will also receive a webspace on request if available usable for any TOS-legal purpose you wish, of unmetered bandwidth and reasonable diskspace. Taxes of 25% will be assessed on any profits produced from your webspace in order to pay for server costs (if your site does not produce profits, 25% of 0 is still 0). Webspace is valid as for as long as the lifespan of the server(s).

All awards are cumulative. Only the highest title of nobility will be displayed by your name. Titles are completely useless and do not grant additional privileges. Titles are hereditary and may be passed onto the descendant of your choice in the event of your death. Only a single donation is necessary to receive title. Multiple donations will be combined and treated as single donation for purposes of title received.

Donations should be funneled towards Paypal. In the event that the deal fails because you were too slow and the server was sold, the money will be spent on rum instead, and the titles and webspace offer will not be available.

Use the following at present:
ALERT - DO NOT SEND MONEY AT THIS TIME!
Note that the amount received via credit card is reduced by Paypal's cut: We never receive this money and your donation is influenced likewise. To avoid this, transfer the money to balance first. This will take slightly longer, but we're not close enough to our goal for there to be a stampede yet.

THESE VALUES MAY CHANGE DUE TO PAYPAL TRANSACTION LIMITS

Give a man a fire, and you warm him for a day. Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
ChamiMinds
Landlubber

View Profile
Dedicated Server
« Reply #2 on: 2007 January 12, 07:44:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think your own servers sounds like a great idea and I helped out some. Hope this works out!
Tchannie
Little Bitch
ARR!

I am Tchan, hear me roar

View Profile WWW
Dedicated Server
« Reply #3 on: 2007 January 12, 11:22:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'd love to donate but y'know me. Can I donate a couple of quid? I definitely can't afford £13 (about 25$). I need a job. However, I can donate £5 or something, if I can work out HOW to.  :lol:
I only count as "convincingly 12". I can't work yet if I play by Pescado's rules.
Oh, sites...well, I can cope with my limited bandwidth site. ^^ It'll be fine. :lol:

~ It doesn't matter that the FAQ states it as a bad thing, I LIKE being the one and only Little Bitch. ~

Quote from: Jojoba
Poor Pescado...he was just trying to be mean...and then you go and take it as a compliment! Bah humbug!
Quorneater
ARR!

View Profile
Dedicated Server
« Reply #4 on: 2007 January 12, 11:56:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My suggestion is that anyone with some spare space offers to host a section.  Links can be provides to those places.   Otherwise it's beginning to look a bit self-defeating and dare I say it as if it was right for the original sites to charge to cover bandwidth costs Sad

Our lil friend must be stopped.
Surelyfunke
Pirate

View Profile
Dedicated Server
« Reply #5 on: 2007 January 12, 12:09:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So, Pescado, Bluesoup, Piratebooty and myself are expected to cough up $2100 amongst ourselves to pay for a new server, which is filled with a bunch of payfiles (that we ourselves coughed up the cash for), for all of you to download - for free?

Have you seen the state of the TSR Booty lately? Everything I painstakingly downloaded got chewed up by the server. It took me days and days to download and upload everything from TSR. And now it's gone because of the crap server, and I have to redo everything.

I'm not sure how it is even possible to lump us together with paysites who DON'T charge for bandwidth, but lie about doing so. Our cost is stated upfront. I really don't think it's fair to call this donation drive "self-defeating," Inge. Not at all.
Quorneater
ARR!

View Profile
Dedicated Server
« Reply #6 on: 2007 January 12, 12:19:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Look, all the people who have been so happy to download them can help host them.   Everyone has at least a tiny bit of space from their ISP and many many of them have actual hosting space somewhere.

Anouk
ARR!

Inactive

View Profile
Dedicated Server
« Reply #7 on: 2007 January 12, 12:47:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Dude, just move to another host. 2100 a year is way over the top to annoy a bunch of paysites.

Inactive
Quorneater
ARR!

View Profile
Dedicated Server
« Reply #8 on: 2007 January 12, 12:56:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You don't have any registration required do you?  What's the betting some bitter paysite owners have been downloading the stuff with scripts or something just to break the bandwidth?

Can't you go over to a members (free) only download system and check up on individual users activity?

Marhis
ARR!

This Space For Rent

View Profile
Dedicated Server
« Reply #9 on: 2007 January 12, 13:58:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have some web/ftp space to offer, and is a very good service; the problem is that the server is located in Pittsburgh (US), and I don't know how they may react in case of some paysite owner throws hissy fits on purpose.
I can try to ask them specifying the matter, and see what they will answer.
In case of positive answer, what I can offer (for free) is about 3 Gb space and 200 Gb transfer/month (Webmaster plan in this comparison chart).

In any case, I'll contribute gladly with money, for what I can afford.

Another thought: if you did already nevermind, but how about asking Sims File Vault crew about their experience with similar issues, and in case some agreement, mutual help, etc.

THE FUTURE OF THIS SIGNATURE IS BRIGHT
BlueSoup
Fat Head
ARR!

View Profile
Dedicated Server
« Reply #10 on: 2007 January 12, 14:02:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Nouk"
Dude, just move to another host. 2100 a year is way over the top to annoy a bunch of paysites.

I suggested a new host already.
Duckie
ARR!

View Profile WWW
Dedicated Server
« Reply #11 on: 2007 January 12, 14:03:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Surelyfunke"
So, Pescado, Bluesoup, Piratebooty and myself are expected to cough up $2100 amongst ourselves to pay for a new server, which is filled with a bunch of payfiles (that we ourselves coughed up the cash for), for all of you to download - for free?

No, you're not expected to do anything. Self righteous much?

b]DerailedSims2 ~ Money Better Spent![/b]
(Derailed's been updated!)
jesserocket
ARR!

View Profile
Dedicated Server
« Reply #12 on: 2007 January 12, 14:38:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It's a wonderful idea, especially the hosting smaller sites part, but it's such a vast amount of money...But it'd host MATY too? See, I was talking to my boyfriend about this, and he was saying that a dedicated server shouldn't cost that much...He didn't really elaborate much though, I think he may have been talking shit...

One thing which does concern me though, is that it squashes that whole thing of 'I'm hosting all your files and it's only costing me pocket change, proving you don't need donations, HA!'.

arr Harr Fiddledeedee,
Being a Pirate is alright with me!
Do what you want cos a Pirate is free!
YOU ARE A PIRATE!
sickpuppy
ARR!

View Profile
Dedicated Server
« Reply #13 on: 2007 January 12, 15:52:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "teadrinker"
My suggestion is that anyone with some spare space offers to host a section.  Links can be provides to those places.   Otherwise it's beginning to look a bit self-defeating and dare I say it as if it was right for the original sites to charge to cover bandwidth costs Sad

Well said and Exactly right.
Quorneater
ARR!

View Profile
Dedicated Server
« Reply #14 on: 2007 January 12, 16:00:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

But honestly I think it was asking for problems to just put the stuff into unguarded directories like that.  Why not try bringing them into a forum setting and then see how it goes.  Some of this high bandwidth might be people just running scripts at it to get you closed down.

It's worth a try surely?

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: